Ode To Writing

Ode To Writing

A Poem by Tessa Melendez
"

An ode to my love of writing. Also, a bit of a description of how it is for me when I write.

"
It all begins in the Abyss of Silence
Like Death took away Sound
A silky piece of paper beneath my hand
The ridges of a pencil shifting between my fingers
Gears in my head turning with every day processes
Another part of me churning with fantasies

Then...BAM!

I'm off like a shot
Images flood my mind
Entire scenes and descriptions
A little elf popped a DVD in my head and pressed Play
There is no pause or stop button
I must jot down the images as fast as I can

Don't let them disappear into the void
Don't lose them forever

My eyes are wide open
But, I'm not really there
I'm lost in the incredible beauty flying through my mind's eye
Beauty like purple mountain ranges at sunrise
Beauty like angels
Beauty like a love meant to last until forever comes to pass.

My mind is moving in a blur
The images flitting by
But, everything must be written
Every scene
Every description
Every moment

Write about angels and demons
Write about Life and Death
Write about the damaged and the broken
Write about magic and miracles
Write until your fingers are broken and your mind is empty
Write until all you type, write, think, and speak are poems and stories

If I was not meant to be a writer,
Then, why was I given such vivid dreams?
Why are the images that come to my mind's eye so clear and beautiful?
They are most certainly not memories
They are stories waiting to be put on paper
Waiting to be shared with the world

And it all began in the Abyss of Silence
Images entering my mind that are too beautiful not to be written
In just seeing them...
I know that they are meant to sweep minds into their embraces
Take the world away from reality for a moment
They are meant to be shared with the world

© 2017 Tessa Melendez


Author's Note

Tessa Melendez
This is not the original version of this piece. Some of the lines are the same or similar, but a lot of them are totally new or at least slightly changed. I have the original somewhere, have looked for it furiously, but I cannot remember where it is. I rewrote this Saturday night and can only say that the first stanza is the only one closest to the original. Put it in blue because it's my favorite color and this poem is an insight into me. Hope you guys enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I very much did enjoy! I can totally relate, there are times when all of my emotions pour out of me and I have to write all of the ideas down before they leave. I love the lines "If I was not meant to be a writer/Then, why was I given such vivid dreams?" Because they capture my feelings about writing exactly. I think we poets feel just a little bit stronger than most people and see the world just a little bit better and this it becomes our duty to capture those feelings and sights. Great work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much!! I am thankful that you understand the processes of writing the same way I do.



Reviews

I love this so much. This accurately describes the writing process. When you're hit with inspiration, it's like a lighting bolt in your heart, and if you don't get the words down on paper, you'll explode. I love the opening stanza, I'm glad you only changed it slightly. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

No, a lot of them are different from the original. But, I'm glad you enjoyed this piece.
My creative process is not QUITE this dramatic or extensive or uninhibited, but I can truly appreciate the process you're describing. Some people try to THINK their way to a writing idea, but the best ones come like you've described here, an inexplicable wave of inspiration that must be written down before we lose it! Sometimes I try to get myself into a place of inspiration by simply feeling all the powerful creativity that other people are putting off, such as in your message, not the words of it, but the total uninhibited nature of it, the energy of it . . . like, please infuse my soul with this amazing spark! *smile* (((HUGS)))

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I wish I could've put the original on here, but I can't remember where I put it. It wou.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

I know what you mean. I sometimes like to share things about my creative process, as well as the wri.. read more
Very well expressed Tessa!!!

Writing is a therapy for me, and now I live to write and write to live it's as simple as that... I truly agree with you about the way words and thoughts flowing through mind in a moment of silence and suddenly we put our hand on a pen and start expressing those words on the paper... The poem truly states how a writer writes in her own beautiful way...

I hope you find your original piece or the first piece of work very soon... It is still a very lovely write, conveying the story of how you write...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I love writing. I want to do it as long as I live. I love the moments when I feel like.. read more
This is such a powerful, beautiful expression of writing, and of your personal experience in this wondrous river of words. I read your thoughts here and realized how amazing it is that worlds flow out of these silences, and then they come like rain over the landscapes of your mind. Looking forward to seeing how other writers see this life of your muse, and how we relate to your experiences. May the words always flow through you!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Perhaps it will. It will grow legs and walk up to me in the middle of the night and tap me on the s.. read more
An owl on the moon

7 Years Ago

Hmmm! I can't wait to hear of your poem's long journey home! :D
Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Lol. I guarantee you it won't be that great.
I very much did enjoy! I can totally relate, there are times when all of my emotions pour out of me and I have to write all of the ideas down before they leave. I love the lines "If I was not meant to be a writer/Then, why was I given such vivid dreams?" Because they capture my feelings about writing exactly. I think we poets feel just a little bit stronger than most people and see the world just a little bit better and this it becomes our duty to capture those feelings and sights. Great work!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much!! I am thankful that you understand the processes of writing the same way I do.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

640 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2016
Last Updated on September 24, 2017

Author

Tessa Melendez
Tessa Melendez

Wilmington, DE



About
I am 20 years old and have been writing since I was 12 years old. I started as a story-writer, I'm more of a poet now. My stories have kinda fallen off and the poetry comes more easily now, more as a .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..