The Storm

The Storm

A Poem by Tessa Melendez

Rivers flow freely
Winds move slow at first
A thousand hearts march into the melee
A barred window presenting a world barely seen
A blade thirsting for blood it wants...
Winds come quickly now
A storm is coming...
A blade waits to see blood start running
A thousand hearts torn to the ground
Never meant to be found
The storm brews and brews
Rivers flow faster, 
Coming down like waterfalls
Winds howl louder than wolves keening to the moon
Knowing they'll never be heard at all
A thousand hearts cut down in an unseen battlefield
A blade tastes the blood it needs
The blade with no master
A barred window presenting an escape
A thousand hearts find a new route to take
Winds begin to slow
The storm has gone
Rivers flow calmly
Winds moving on
And the girl falls asleep

© 2019 Tessa Melendez


Author's Note

Tessa Melendez
I feel like this one needs desperate help. Sort of threw it together.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

whether it needs help or not, it's still good. you've got potential to say the least. keep working at your art, you might surprise yourself.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kindness :)
PoeticSorcery

7 Years Ago

every now and then I let a little slip through lol. you're welcome.
Like Darian B. said, the sort of scattered feel of this poem fits the theme. The last line brings a whole new dimension to this piece. This one felt really intense. As always, great imagery.

On a side note, I see you wrote quite a chunk of poems lately and I really enjoy your poems. Thank you for sharing them with us. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Marcus Sergiu David

7 Years Ago

Maybe you could try expanding on that "a barred window presenting an escape", detailing what is the .. read more
Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Okay. Thank you for your ideas.
Marcus Sergiu David

7 Years Ago

My pleasure :)
I enjoyed reading this piece. I assume that it's about a girl cutting herself to death, and the raging storm outside is kinda a metaphor for her internal feelings (please feel free to delete this review if my interpretation was correct and you want to keep the meaning a secret). Whether I'm right or wrong, I still like this piece. This is a poem that I felt more than I understood. It's kinda like listening to a stranger crying; even though you probablly won't know what he/she is crying about, their weeps will probably still affect you in some way.

Based on your author's note, you want a technical review, so can you please tell me what you don't like about this piece. I'll gladly help you improve it, that is, if you want me to.

-William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

You have the meaning kind of right. It's not the girl cutting herself to death. It's simply losing.. read more
Wondering of the storms, of the battles, of these rivers of blood. What makes me wonder of the depth of your words is the last line, as she falls asleep. There is this fierce stress of a war of the world within the mind. What a powerful piece, vivid and dark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

Everything resembles something in this piece, whether or not you catch on is completely up to your m.. read more
An owl on the moon

7 Years Ago

I think the hint is the perfect unveiling, the perfect secret key to the deeper doorway of you.
Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

I'm glad you think so. But, I feel like the poem needs something more....
My analysis of this poem is that you are comparing the storm of nature with the life of a human being who is getting emotionally/mentally drained... I believe you were trying to convey some inner meaning with it, which can left a motivational message like "as the storm ends similarly the storm in heart heart calms down" for the reader... I think your ending can be more exciting if you continue the intensity of the storm and the concept of blade brining blood, how she felt and then somehow create the ending with a message... That's what I think... But I am impressed by the way you have presented it at first draft, just a bit of input of ideas will make it more perfect to your intent...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

I don't know how to do the thing you are suggesting, but I might figure something out in time.
It does feel a little scattered and its not completely clear what is going on at all times, but I think that actually really works for this piece. Because you are talking about a storm, the scattered feel fits. As the storm picks up and gets stronger, the words become more chaotic. When the storm settles, so too do your words. Now this may just be me, but it also feels like this storm is very much connected to the girl. Perhaps an inner storm? To me, the fact that you leave that a tad unclear adds even more to the poem because it leaves the reader questioning the chaos of the storm. I really did enjoy this poem tremendously! I don't think it needs much changing at all.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tessa Melendez

7 Years Ago

I feel like it needs more work. I meant for it to be like one of those poems that doesn't really fl.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

422 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2016
Last Updated on July 19, 2019

Author

Tessa Melendez
Tessa Melendez

Wilmington, DE



About
I am 20 years old and have been writing since I was 12 years old. I started as a story-writer, I'm more of a poet now. My stories have kinda fallen off and the poetry comes more easily now, more as a .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..