"WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE GUY WHO USED TO SIT ALONE OVER THERE IN THE CORNER"

"WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE GUY WHO USED TO SIT ALONE OVER THERE IN THE CORNER"

A Story by KCthelastboyscout
"

A short,short story

"
" Let me introduce myself,born loser, nice to meet you. It's okay I don't mind the name. I fit all the qualifications. Outcast from family. No friends. No great love. Never loved at all as a matter of fact. Drowning in self-pity. But I'm not alone. These strangers here with me at the bar are the closest to friends I will ever have. So what does that say about me? Take a seat and stay awhile. I'm not much company. I was just about to leave anyway. Have you been here long? Got a chance to look around a little? Quite a few characters around here if you ask me. I know I know. I should be one to talk. But at least I'm comfortable in my own skin. Look around and let it all sink in..." "Look at HER over there. She's in here all the time and I do mean all the time. I remember she was fresh-faced and bright as the day. She used to be able to get all the professional types but now they don't even want her. Her story is getting old so now she just takes what she can get. Anybody that buys her a drink just gets another piece of her soul. A few other familiar faces I see lying about this and that telling the same old stories over and over again.The GUY over there sitting a couple tables down is trying to do an imitation of me with the old loneliest guy in the bar routine. Normally you can't get him to shut up but he's quiet tonight. I hope whatever it is it's bad news. I really hate that guy... There's one guy who used to come in here all the time but I haven't seen him in a while.Maybe he jumped off a bridge or something. Well, that's the way it is, life only goes two ways coming and going." " There's a few new faces,like yourself, I haven't seen before. Wide-eyed and full of dreams. I remember I was once like that. But eventually, like me, they'll wind up taking their first steps into the woods and getting lost forever. I'm not talking about you though. You're learning from the best.If you listen to me you'll learn a lot of what not to do. Well, it's time for me to make my grand exit.I don't know why I'm in a hurry to get home,there's nobody there waiting for me anyway. I just don't want to stay in here too long and look more pathetic than I already am. Stay awhile and have a few drinks on me. You been a quiet audience just letting me do all the talking. The night is young. Still alot of interesting people for you to meet. Maybe I'll be back tomorrow if I don't get hit by a bus crossing the street. But hey, you know, I don't have that kind of good luck anyway... Let me look back around to all the good patrons in here tonight and say, I hope all you degenerates drink yourself to death and please excuse me while I disappear..."

© 2017 KCthelastboyscout


Author's Note

KCthelastboyscout
Inspiration.Frank Sinatra.song " Angel Eyes." Mixed in with a little part of me of course

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think I worked this bar once...

The dialogue is spot on: how he refers to the other patrons, his self deprecating manner, almost happy to accept his unlucky, disappointing, soul-crushing life - he doesn't have to try - yeah, I know this guy. Excellent write.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I like this one. I want to know more though about the people that at this place

Posted 6 Years Ago


KCthelastboyscout,
"WHATEVER HAPPENED.."
"Wide eyed and full of dreams." This one little line is the place we want to be. Your writing here speaks of the infuence of loss on those who want to accomplsh and be motivated. The saying "Loose living corrupt good morals." In this context of your story it really makes sense.
This is a good narrative of the voice of one speaking for the community in a bar environment I think.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


Love this you very talented

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

509 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 21, 2017
Last Updated on May 21, 2017