HANDLE WITH CARE

HANDLE WITH CARE

A Story by KCthelastboyscout
"

love and patience

"
With these hands, how do I handle something so fragile? Once abused and neglected. Raped and hospitalized. A tortured past of which I cannot go back and change for HER. All we have is now and onward. Of course, there was a beginning. We were introduced. I fell in love. In the blink of an eye. I was helpless. She was quiet but always loving. We settled for kisses and holding hands. I became frustrated. I wanted more.Then came the explanation and it changed everything. How do I say I love you besides using words? How do I say I need you without making you feel pressured? How do I say I want you without touching your body that still needs healing? The remnants of bruises and scars are still visible on her body. She will never forget. Forgiveness is buried so deep inside of her there is no light that can reach it. There are late night phone calls due to recurring nightmares. Memories of the past distract her in the middle of conversations. I always announce my presence beforehand when she is not expecting me. Occasionally when we disagree I keep my demeanor calm never volatile. There are other precautions that I take because although she's getting better each day, there is no deadline for a broken heart to get better. She will never trust anyone completely again. Never give anyone her heart fully. Never love again without restrictions. But I accept it. Because I love her. I know there should be more of an explanation than that, but I just do. Now and always.Someday the healing will end. We will show that we love each other with more than just words, but also with our bodies. We will take care of each other and we will start a new life...She is in my arms. She kisses me. I say "I love you." She whispers in my ear "thank you." I smile and close my eyes... Where else in the world would I rather be?

© 2017 KCthelastboyscout


Author's Note

KCthelastboyscout
Dedicated to Courtney and other survivors and the people that love them

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I find this story to be very realistic. A relationship with someone who has been through trauma requires care, compassion, and patience.

I enjoyed that you managed to express the speaker's longing for more of her, without making him seem selfish. Very well done.

Yari

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thank you. Thank you so much for writing this. It makes me feel a little better that there are people in this world who are patient and kind, that there are people who care. I can relate to the girl in this poem a great deal. I wrote something, though it may seem vague, about my side of this and how someone (much like you) was patient and waited until I was ready. You are an amazing human being. Thank you so much for this poem and for simply existing the way you are.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Your are a great voice to the voiceless. Makes people stop and pause for a moment, reflect on their own lives.

As this is a short story I would like to have seen more showing in your words so we can see and feel both the narrators and the protagonists feelings instead of being lead though with a six foot rope.

A nice dedication / you clearly think more than surface levels which I appreciate very much X

Posted 6 Years Ago


this is beautiful. exactly what i needed to hear

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I know Survivors and I know a life that was lost because of violence. Scary stuff.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is some powerful stuff. I've no idea how real or actual it may be, but it sure feels like the real thing. A lot of folks couldn't put their own need/craving for intimacy on hold until she comes around. (Which might be a long time or even never)

Posted 6 Years Ago


Incredibly, as I read your story, I was reading my own. This is beautiful and it really hit home for me. I am in tears.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Patience indeed! You must truly love her. Your love abounds in your writing. I hope that your devotion to her and her needs are eventually rewarded to the benefit of both of you.

Take care - Dave

Posted 6 Years Ago


Wow... That was great....

Posted 6 Years Ago


This left me speechless. What a true gift to be offered so freely. You will never know what that means to a survivor. To be loved just because, no strings attached, no timeline, no expiration date on patience. I simply cannot fathom such a thing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Oh KC, reading your words within this piece pulls strongly at my heartstrings as well as bringing tears flowing down my cheeks. I am so sorry to hear that the person you care about has experienced such brutal treatment from a past relationship. I can feel the sadness & regret deeply of not physically being with the person who holds your heart but being there to support them during the healing process probably means more to them at this point (though frustrating for you). She is very fortunate to have such a caring, loving and understanding man in her life.

Please be patient KC, for the two of you will grow and overcome the obstacles if the love is truly meant to be ... if so, it will definitely be worth the wait.

KC, please take care and try to stay dry and warm during the next few days ... can you believe that we may be seeing a little snow tonight in our area? If you see any snow please share a picture and poem about it with us my friend.

Blessings, 🙏
~ hsg

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1403 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 6, 2017
Last Updated on December 14, 2017


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Canvas Canvas

A Poem by Neville