WARTIME PRAYERS

WARTIME PRAYERS

A Story by KCthelastboyscout
"

a love letter

"
To My Beloved

All glory to God that I am able to write you again. As of right now, my mind is troubled. My soul is troubled. But my heart is filled with such joy. So much love. It overflows inside of me when I think of you. Wherever I go, your spirit goes with me. It's my protection as I follow this trail of self destruction.
Our time as man and wife was brief. But now they are sacred memories. When I left you, I thought this war would be a noble cause. Something worth fighting for. I realize now I was so naive, even more so I was wrong. I wanted to achieve personal glory for you and my family name.I've watched men die in my hands including the enemy on the other side. There's no glory in the killing of another human being.
In the quiet moments and we're alone with ourselves, every soldier loses the battle to the same victor... Our conscience. My love, this war destroys the angels in men. It consumes all the goodness we have intended for each other. I pray I'll come back to you the same man as I was before. I will not let this flame inside of me burn out. I will enremain changeless. You will be able to look into my eyes and recognize that familiar spark.
Do not be fearful of death for me. For even if I'm taken from you in this physical form, I am with you always. I will be the sun that wakes you in the morning. The wind whistling through the trees. The bird that sings outside your window. The moon lighting the night sky.
Someday this war will end. Mankind will have to make peace with itself. There will be a great victory. And a great defeat.But all of us will have to rebuild again. The blood of the perished will be the foundation, but all the pieces must be put back together with love for our fellow man. Only love allows us to forgive our enemies. Only love allows death to rise and live again. Only love will bring me back to you.

Soon,My Beloved,Soon

(FICTION)

© 2018 KCthelastboyscout


Author's Note

KCthelastboyscout
This is based on the 1990 PBS Ken Burns documentary The Civil War one of the great achievements in television history

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

KC - I too saw this documentary. You sharply detailed the gut-wrenching pain of being torn between one's duty and the one we love. What a shame that all his wife had from this was the beautiful letter he wrote telling her of his eternal love. You did an excellent piece of writing here, thank you very much.
Take care - Dave

Posted 3 Years Ago


I like when someone relates their honest feelings. I realize this is a work of fiction, but it could just as easily been a letter from one person to another. Putting yourself in someone else's shoes, regardless of whether you agree with them is not easy to do. Good work Kc.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Would never make light of the sacrifice, but a noble cause? Never in a million years. Tell you what, sign the politicians up first, then stick 'em on the front line, that'll be the end of war mark my words.

LB

Posted 5 Years Ago


As I was reading this one I was reminded of that Burns documentary, especially the letter from an officer to his wife prior to his death at First Manassas. You have captured the spirit of that letter very well. Good work.

Posted 5 Years Ago


A beautiful piece of writing. You have done well here to capture the thoughts of a soldier writing to his beloved. One can't begin to grasp a situation like that unless you have been through it yourself. The pain of separation and not knowing whether you would survive until the next day, or next letter. Poignant.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


The horrors of war is something that most of us will not ever be able to understand, unless we've been there. A lot of great thoughts in this. If only our world could know peace, and one day it will for sure.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Riveting and deeply moving story KC. Great, intimate form in the guise of a love letter from a Civil War soldier to his beloved bride. The language is poignant, insightful and expresses a deep humility and faith in mankind, even in the throes of a bloodbath of a war. In war, all lose. “War destroys the angels in men.”- true and memorable line. Truly brilliant write my friend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Just beautiful Kc. A touching love letter from a loyal soldier, torn between his duty to his country and the one he loves.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is stirring, emotional, and has the ring of truth. Wars produce no real winners, in my opinion. If we (mankind) were as advanced as we think we are, we'd solve things peacefully and never raise a hand against our brothers and sisters. And the letters to our sweethearts back home--I think all us servicemen cherish those wonderful letters. They certainly meant a lot to me when I was on the other side of the world. Kudos to you and Ken Burns.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Really touches the core of oneself. Amazing.

Posted 5 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

515 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 28, 2018
Last Updated on July 28, 2018


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..