Park

Park

A Story by Rachel
"

Jenny goes jogging in the park one night, and spots a man idling in a car...

"

Park


         Jenny Pierce climbed out of her SUV, grabbed her ear buds and plugged them into her iPhone. Immediately, music started blaring. Jogging in place for a minute, Jenny prepared to run laps around the park. The park seems quiet tonight, Jenny thought. She noticed only one or two more people walking around. The weather wasn’t that great for jogging, a steady drizzle beat down, frizzing her brown hair.

         She shrugged and started jogging. Halfway around the first loop, Jenny stopped to catch her breath, jogging in place. It was then she noticed the idling SUV parked in the parking lot. She squinted, and saw a grizzled looking man staring back at her from the car. He was wearing a brown jacket, had thinning black hair, green eyes and was staring straight at her. He grinned, bearing a gold tooth, and Jenny looked away. What kind of creep hangs around parks at night in a car alone? She thought. The journalist in her was curious, but she just cast one last glance at the man and continued to run.

         The next night, Jenny came back to the park for another run, and to be honest, she was creeped out by the man in the car but was also strangely intrigued. Who was he? Probably some creep waiting to kidnap innocent children or leer at women jogging by she thought. But a small part of her wanted to know more. Why was that man here? Who was he really? She parked in the same spot, jogged in place, and prepared to run, this time discreetly holding her iPhone in her hand, the camera open to snap a photo of his license plate. She decided that she would report this man to the local police if she saw him watching from his car again. Maybe he was a wanted man and she would get a reward and she could say that she helped catch him.

         She jogged by, and to her surprise, the car was gone. She actually felt a little disappointed. She shrugged and jogged on. As she turned the corner, her heart leapt up into her throat when she saw the car, idling in a different part of the parking lot. She snapped a quick photo of the license plate by zooming her camera in so the man wouldn’t see her. She had managed to get a clear photo and was putting her camera away, when the man turned and looked at her, this time glaring. She quickly turned and walked away, back to her car. Once in, she locked her doors and pulled out her iPhone, dialed the police.

         “This is Officer Rhodes speaking, what could I do for you?” a gruff male voice said. “Hello, I was jogging in the park and I saw a strange man idling in the park in a car. He stared at me. I saw him twice. I have his license plate number and I was wondering if you could trace it?” The officer cleared his throat. “Did this man threaten you in any way?” he asked. “No, but he smiled at me, and he seems very creepy. Please, Officer, I think you should report him.” The man sighed. “I’m sorry, ma’am but if he isn’t threatening you in any way there is no reason why we should report him.” Jenny sighed as well. She felt uneasy about this man, and she didn’t feel comfortable seeing him again in the park, leering at her. “Okay,” she said, defeated, “thank you.” “You have a good night,” Officer Rhodes said, and hung up. Jenny leaned her head on the steering wheel. Might as well go home, she thought. A small part of her wanted to see if the man was still there, but it had grown dark and the park looked more deserted then ever.

         Just one more peek, she thought. In case, she dialed 911 on her phone and held it by her side, ready to dial. She unlocked her car and snuck out to where the car was. The man was behind the wheel, as usual, but he seemed to have fallen asleep, his head leaning on the wheel. I guess he means no harm; maybe he just has no home and lives in his car. She turned to go, and bumped into someone. A woman. She was wearing a black hoodie and holding something that glinted in the moonlight. A knife. “What are you doing out so late all alone?” she said. “I-“ Jenny stammered, terrified. “I’d like you to give me your cell phone and your wallet. Now.” Jenny pulled out her wallet and shakily handed it to the woman. “Phone,” the woman demanded. Jenny handed over her phone. But instead of running away, the woman stared at her. “You look familiar,” she said, “I’ve seen you running here before.”

         Jenny nodded shakily. Keep her talking; maybe she won’t realize you’ve dialed 911. “Yes, I jog here a lot,” she said. She held in a gasp when she saw the man sneak up behind the woman with the knife and snap handcuffs around her wrists. “Police! You have the right to remain silent.” The man barked. The woman dropped Jenny’s phone and wallet, turned around and hissed. “I could have gotten away with this!” The man smirked, revealing a gold tooth, and Jenny realized that it was the man from the car. “You!” she said. “Officer Jim Michaels,” the man said. “You-you’re a cop?” Jenny asked. The man nodded. “I want to thank you for helping distract this woman. Without you, we may never have gotten her.” Jenny nodded, ashamed to admit that she had stopped to report him. The woman spit at Jenny. “Stupid girl,” she said. Officer Michaels glared at the woman. “Get in the car,” he said, motioning to the SUV. He gave one more look at Jenny and was gone.

         Jenny sighed and headed back to her car. I guess there was no reward for capturing that criminal, she thought. She jogged faster towards her car, an odd feeling creeping up on her. She turned, and saw a car parked. It was a blue Suburu with a man inside, leering at her. He saw her watching and gave her a slow, lecherous wink and a wave. Jenny smirked. What a night. I guess there’s always going to be creeps in the park that we can’t do anything about, she thought. With that, she gave the man a wave back, jogged back to her car, started the ignition, and drove away, not once looking back.

         

© 2015 Rachel


Author's Note

Rachel
Please read and review honestly

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice. I like the fact that the villian was not who we thought it would be. A subtle reminder that you should never assume anything,mor judge someone bybtheir appearance. Very well written!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Added on May 26, 2015
Last Updated on August 12, 2015
Tags: Horror, Scary, Story, Freaky, Park

Author

Rachel
Rachel

New York , NY



Writing
She Calls She Calls

A Story by Rachel


Letters Letters

A Story by Rachel