The Scratcher

The Scratcher

A Poem by Rachel
"

Have you heard the tale of The Scratcher?

"

The Scratcher

 

         Have you heard the tale of The Scratcher? It visits you when you sleep. And if you hear it call you, you’d better not make a peep. It waits on the other side of your door, until you are alone. First you’ll hear a scratching on your door and a ringing of the phone. Once you pick up the phone, you’ll know that it’s around. On the other line you’ll hear something and your heart will begin to pound. And when you answer that call reader, you’d better not leave the room. For it knows that you are inside, and will take you to your tomb.

         The only thing that you could do to scare The Scratcher away is wait. For if you go out and open your door, you are surely tempting fate. Once you are to safety, hiding in your safe space, you must make sure not to make any noise, or it will show its face. After about a moment or so you will hear it’s deadly sound. A loud sounding scratch, scratch, scratch as it makes its way around.

         You may think that it has left, but it has just begun. Once you emerge, thinking it’s gone, it’s real web it has spun. You creep out into the darkness, once the noise had passed. But once you open up the door, you will be aghast. It looks down upon you, with empty black eyes. It moves a little closer and you jump back with surprise. You try to turn around and run, thinking you can escape. But it will chase after you until you can run no more, it’s terrible mouth agape.          Once it catches you with it’s long, spindly hands, you jolt up, now awake. You breathe a heavy side of relief that the creature you did escape. But wait, what’s that? You ask aloud, as you hear a sudden noise. You glance around in panic and begin to lose your poise. Scratch, scratch, scratch, you hear and it’s coming from outside the door. You stop and think for a moment, and realize you’ve heard it before. “It’s The Scratcher,” you say, and try to hide, for it’s getting louder and louder. But it is coming closer and you know that it will devour. You feel it grab you by the neck, and you scream and yell and shout. But The Scratcher is faster than you think and it throws you all about.

         The neighbors hear yelling, from way across the street. They walk over to see what’s going on and scream in a loud bleat. The house is covered in red, and there’s no one to be found. They are about to call the police, when they hear an odd sound. The phone rings all of a sudden, and the run to answer the call. “Hello?” they ask, and hear a screeching bawl. They listen very carefully, their faces growing pale, the phone drops to the floor, and the neighbors begin to wail.

         What they heard is never known, but later it was found. That the neighbors were heard yelling and the police came around. They found the couple, shivering in fear, their eyes wide in alarm. “There was something here,” they say, and clutch each other’s arms. The neighbors were the lucky one’s, that they managed to get away. From The Scratcher that was after them, that very fateful day.

         So if you are alone at night, heed this creepy tale. For The Scratcher watches and waits, and it is able to follow your trail. So now you have heard the tale of The Scratcher, that visits you when you sleep. And if you hear it call you, you’d better not make a peep. 

© 2015 Rachel


Author's Note

Rachel
Please read and review! Note: I don't usually do poetry, this is my first try at a creepy poem so go easy on me please! Like my other stories, this is on strict copyright.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This poem gave me chills! Well done the language and flow of it worked very well to set a creepy atmosphere.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rachel

8 Years Ago

Thanks! :)
Not bad at all!

Has that "one, two, Freddy's coming for you, three four, better lock the door..." vibe to it!

I am not certain if grouping the lines together like a traditional story serves the piece well or not... I really am uncertain. A traditional lyrical layout might still be better, but I am on the fence about that.

All in all, well done!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rachel

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much, I may try to switch it over, not so sure yet.
Wow! Are you for real or not?! I mean, you rhymed this perfectly, and this was as long as a horror story! :)
Thanks for asking me to review this! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rachel

8 Years Ago

Aw, thanks and thank you for reviewing it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

395 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 4, 2015
Last Updated on August 12, 2015
Tags: Scary, Horror, Monster

Author

Rachel
Rachel

New York , NY



Writing
She Calls She Calls

A Story by Rachel


Letters Letters

A Story by Rachel