Only Me

Only Me

A Story by AKNelson
"

One of my first stories, and the first to use a personal favorite of mine: the end twist.

"
The walk home always drove me nuts... every day the same road, same looming trees, same empty ambience.... enough to drive someone insane. A hoarse laugh escapes at that last thought. I continue along, a slight breeze sending a chill through my body.. why didn't I bring a coat?


After a few steps, I noticed an echoing from behind me... stopping, silence fell again on the road. A quick glance reassured me I was alone. Resuming my trek, the echoing continued. Fearful for my safety, I ran... the echoes picked up as I did so.. along with.. a voice.. a heavy breath in my ear drove me to run faster.. But no.. no.. that's just crazy.. I was alone.. there wasn’t any voice..


Breathlessly I stop. My feet hurt from the rough dirt road. But I had finally made it home.


Coming up the sidewalk, the weeds became red as they brushed the undersides of my feet. I noticed mom left the door ajar. Oh well, shes been dealing with a lot lately, with the cops coming to the house and asking useless questions about dad and all.


The smell of her delicious cooking greeted me as I stepped in, and soft singing came from the kitchen. "I won't disturb her" I thought as I went into the living room. Slumping onto the old couch, I coughed.. Mom's gonna make me clean the house I bet.. damn..


The house was just as gloomy this afternoon as it was any other day. Ever since dad left.. I had always resented him for it, like my mom told me to, but she's right, what man just leaves his family without saying goodbye, or at least leaving a note. I admit not taking any of his things with him was weird, but some people are just that stupid.
I decided some TV would keep my mind off of it. Using the light that came through the boards on the windows, I searched for the remote. Unsuccessful, I scoffed. Whatever, I'll just find it later after I change into some warmer clothes.. this gown isn't cutting it. Speaking of which I should also find some scissors, maybe I'll trim my beard.. that is after I get this stupid bracelet off my wrist.

© 2015 AKNelson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Congratulations on winning the "Scare Me" story writing contest! As promised, here is your review.

I really liked this story! Your description of the walk home really helped me picture what the scene was like. The twist ending was very well done! All in all this was an enjoyable story to read. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AKNelson

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!



Reviews

Congratulations on winning the "Scare Me" story writing contest! As promised, here is your review.

I really liked this story! Your description of the walk home really helped me picture what the scene was like. The twist ending was very well done! All in all this was an enjoyable story to read. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AKNelson

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Added on June 25, 2015
Last Updated on June 25, 2015
Tags: horror, only, me, aknelson, insane, creepy, short, tatorhater, tator, hater, crazy, scary, story, flash, fiction

Author

AKNelson
AKNelson

MN



About
Just an average guy with big dreams of sharing my writing. more..

Writing
The Carnival The Carnival

A Story by AKNelson


The Angel The Angel

A Story by AKNelson