Yellow Umbrella Jumper

Yellow Umbrella Jumper

A Story by thecoolone52
"

I wrote this last night, it took me 2 hours. I love the song jumper by third eye blind the best ROCK group ever. Anyway i hope you guys enjoy this. Oh by the way so i dont get sued, i stole the pic from Google and its a picture of the bridge next to the

"

 

Yellow Umbrella Jumper
 
            Rosie tweaked her yellow umbrella back and forth in a leverage struggle. The black clouds pounded the white sidewalk with bullets of precipitation. Rosie’s black windbreaker hood decided to accompany her short curly brown hair. The small sleeves were tight on Rosie after she gave birth to her first, but the jacket was too nice to throw away. The umbrella however refused to give in as Rosie finally had enough and chipped the metal lever!
    “S**t I just bought this umbrella.” She looked back inside the restaurant slash bar for someone to help her. “I had two drinks Jesus I cant hold my liquor.” As she managed to fold the umbrella back into its starting position, she looked up at the sign of the restaurant. Snub’s Pub and Catering, it read in huge Arial type font with green Irish type letters.
            She knew her husband was unable to limo her home, so she decided to take a stroll across the Main street bridge. She figured a yellow taxi might be easy to flag down. Warmth finally struck her as the rain slowed down to a drizzle. Snub’s was only a few feet from the bridge. She checked both ways just like she taught her son and quickly shuffled her sandals crossing two yellow lanes of emptiness.
            A small amount of traffic flowed through the bridge at a faster pace then usual. Two lanes of traffic rumbled through Rosie’s left side as she journeyed at a normal pace on the sidewalk. With the final hooray of rain coming to a halt, she wiped her face with her hand and adjusted her eyesight. The night was foggy and for a second she thought a hallucination was taking place.
            A man in a ragged brown leather coat was standing outside the barrier of the bridge. The steel mangled a four-foot concrete wall housing walkers, but this man obviously wasn’t a walker.
            “Sir, excuse me sir.” Rosie shouted out to the man as she began to lightly jog.
            “Get the F**K AWAY FROM ME LADY,” The man Hissed in sheer anger.
            “Um, sir I don’t think you should be standing outside the wall.” Rosie’s voice started to crack as surprise and fear surrounded the high pitch of her voice. With fear in her heart her brain however pushed her legs forward as she seemed only a smidgen away from the barrier.
            “Lady I know what you’re trying to do and its not going to work.” The stranger turned around gripping the guardrail that was tattooed in pigeon droppings.
            “Actually I just want you to hop over the guard rail.” Rosie looked hard at the unknown man’s face. Short blond hair barely peaked through his black beanie. A reddish tint to his cheeks sketched the man younger then twenty-five. A cool wind came from under the bridge as the mucky water seemed to giggle at the two’s display.
            “Exactly, walk away and mind your own f*****g business!” Shouted the young adult.
            “That’s no way to talk to a lady. If I was your mother id grab you by your ear and make you sit in the corner.” Rosie shook her head with great poise after teaching the boy a lesson.
            “Well I never had a mother. I never had anyone. Expect for my fat ugly a*s girlfriend who dumped me today.” The man turned away from Rosie as he began to let his hands slide off the guardrail.
            “Wait Young man, what is your name?” Rosie figuring out the situation as it unravels, decides to try and talk the man down from his plunge into the Susquehanna. 
            “Don’t you have kids or a husband to attend to lady? How many drinks have you had tonight?”
            “I’ve had two drinks mister, enough to throw off my Abdullah Oblongata. I can’t even open my umbrella. Could you please open it for me?” Rosie thought to her self maybe if I can get him to initiate a conversation, I can convince him to step down off the warning track. She reached out the umbrella to the young lad but his focus tilted to the murky shallows.
            “Listen sir, I will give you one hundred dollars if you scoot your little a*s over the guard rail.” Rosie in a heat of panic announces the offer with no thought behind it.
            “Lady, my name is Ron and I don’t want your f*****g money. I’m tried of working my s****y job. I’m sick in tired of my s****y a*s life. I’m sure you have kids maybe even a significant other. What do I have lady?! I will tell you what I have. Absolutely Fuckintivley nothing. Ron’s eyes start to close as he feels himself ready to take the plunge.
            “Wait, Ron my name is Rosie.” She thought of one last thing, the perfect comment to at least bewilder young Ron. Possibly set his head in a frenzy of fireworks. “Ron or Ronald, I love you.” She moved forward as Ron turned around with utter shock on his face. She mumbled to herself, “my husband is going to kill me for this.” She leaned forward licking her lips in a weird but seductive way.
            “Rosie you are one drunk skank. Ok, if you really love me then sacrifice yourself for me. Climb over the barrier and end everything! Everything meaning nothing in this S**t hole we live in!” Ron now playing a mind game of his own, grinned with pearly whites grimacing from his lips.
            Rosie now shocked in Ron’s outrageous idea managed to look left briefly as she could see a police officer quickly jogging to the scene. In a moment of humility, she grabbed Ron’s brown Ralph Lauren jacket and gave him the biggest smooch she could possibly give a suicidal Maniac. Rosie figured that would stall the jumper and give the officer enough time to help pull the lunatic to safety.
            The officers silver badge almost seemed to glow in the reflecting streetlight. In a severe panic Ron managed to loose his balance. All his weight tottered on his calves as he clinched at Rosie’s arm. His face was covered in shock and hysteria, as Rosie instinctively tried to tug away. Ron’s Pumas managed to slip off and plummet into the Susquehanna as he dragged Rosie over the barrier accidentally.
            The Caucasian officer was nearly on the brink of collapsing after running so fast up the white sidewalk. His adrenaline kicked in as he noticed Rosie hanging on to a metal pole that was constructed to hold the barrier together. Ron in a last ditch effort to save himself grabbed on to Rosie’s Leg as barbaric as possible. The overweight officer snatched at Rosie’s arm but his timing was tragically off. Rosie had no choice but to let go of the pole as gravity whirled her and Ron into the air.
            Rosie thought about her little boy who just turned nine a week before. Tons of thoughts spewed and cascaded their way through her mind as her head thudded against the sharp rocks covering her face in pebbles and black murky water. Ron thought of nothing as his neck instantly broke falling head first into the sand beneath.
            The officer in a grand disbelief graveled to the sidewalk crying like a puppy wanting to play. An old woman in her luxury Buick peered out the window at the entire scene of misfortune. The officer realizing the senior citizen peeking at him pulled out his wallet. A snap shot of his beautiful wife and two kids flashed happily through the clear plastic. In a distraught moment the officer kissed the clear plastic. Leaving his wallet on the side of the bridge, he climbed over the barrier in deep military boots. He closed his eyes and plunged into the water belly flop style.
 
           
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
           
 
 

© 2008 thecoolone52


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have one thing to say....plummet into the Susquehanna, a river that i don't think a jumper would want to jump into, unless they wanted to break there neck, the girl got damn luck, she didn't to, I know i've seen that river and it aint that deep. unless its flooding season.
Great Story, I want to know what happens next!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Amazing write, good job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like it, it's interesting. good write.
-michelle

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EEEEK you KEELED her...oh how tragic. Its a good story. I hate the ending because I am mushy and sappy, but its a good story...vivid descriptions and well paced.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have one thing to say....plummet into the Susquehanna, a river that i don't think a jumper would want to jump into, unless they wanted to break there neck, the girl got damn luck, she didn't to, I know i've seen that river and it aint that deep. unless its flooding season.
Great Story, I want to know what happens next!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

deep well written with beauty sadness

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jesus, Mike, does everything you have to write have to be so depressing?!
In all honesty, I loved it. Seriously. I'm so impressed but I 've always been impressed by your writing skills.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

...wow...that was amazing! I became compleatly wrapped up in the story. Brilliant job!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The idea is good. Would you consider revisiting it? You did a good job setting up the motivation for the jumper, but left me questioning the actions of Rosie and the Cop.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

728 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2008

Author

thecoolone52
thecoolone52

Mech., PA



About
I like to write fiction. It has to be bizzare and orginal or its basically worthless to me. Cause if you write what someone else wrote then whats the point of writing at all? My gramar blows big donke.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The End. The End.

A Poem by K. Harding