A Transition

A Transition

A Story by Mr. Misanthrope

He was walking along the old, cobbled road that winded down from the family mansion. He held a letter in his palms, which were sweating profusely and shaking. His wide eyes stared from one side of the fields to the other. The only sounds were that of the wind rustling the leaves of the occasional tree that he passed. Even shadows scared him.

In the distance, he spotted the small red postbox. Increasing his pace, he quickly slipped it into the dark opening and began his journey back.

Finally reaching the safety of the house, he closed the large main door behind him and sighed with relief. He wiped sweat from his brow, and was glad it was all over.

"Hello, Alfred."

The cold and disconnected voice emanated from behind the old man. Alfred gulped, arranged his collar, and turned around.

There before him hovered an apparition of sorts, resembling a dark and sinister-looking man. He smiled an evil smile.

"Did you think that by just sending that letter, you were going to change everything that is going to happen to you now?

"No, I suppose not," said Alfred, his legs shaking uncontrollably. "Well, whatever it is you want with me, do it quickly. I haven't got all day."

The ghost laughed hysterically, and the cackle echoed throughout the large entrance hall. "Well, that won't really matter if you're dead."

The ghost rushed towards Alfred and went straight through him. Possessing him almost instantaneously, Alfred made a few weird jerks and awkward movements. Moving towards the mantelpiece like a puppet, his uncontrolled eyes saw the swords on the wall. He tried to resist but all to no avail. His hand involuntarily moved towards the hilt, and brandishing the sword, thrust it into himself.

The ghost then emerged, and stared at the man's painful expression as his limp body tumbled. He released one more cackle, and then disintegrated into thin air.

And all the candles in the house went out.

© 2015 Mr. Misanthrope


Author's Note

Mr. Misanthrope
Yet another introduction to a story that, what a surprise, didn't lead to anything.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked it! The ending was a good "boom, that just happened" kind of ending, if you get what I mean haha. Your writing style resembles mine in some ways, I found that to be refreshing. Overall, I thought it was very good :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Added on June 8, 2015
Last Updated on June 8, 2015

Author

Mr. Misanthrope
Mr. Misanthrope

Malta



About
Join my group: Night Syndrome more..

Writing