Introducing.... The Mindreader and The Shadow

Introducing.... The Mindreader and The Shadow

A Chapter by Ashe Conten

The Mindreader quickly shoved her phone in her pocket and crossed the hallway from her room to The Shadow's. He was sprawled across his bed, reading a crash course of French.
"Come on, The Illusionist has broken again."
"Oi! Again?" he said, putting the book down. "Triggered by one of The Magician's tricks, I assume."
The Mindreader sighed, "Yes, and she refuses to help." She grabbed her gray Nirvana hoodie and handed The Shadow his leather jacket.
"Eh, the b***h never does much good."
"I happen to agree, my friend."
"Well, we'd better hurry." He slid into his jacket and pulled on his converse as The Mindreader grabbed her keys.
"Yes," she sighed, "We'd better."

When the two arrived, The Magician was watching The Illusionist, who was sitting in a corner repeating "I'm the son of all I've done." The Mindreader ran to him and grabbed his wrist to take his pulse. She glanced at The Magician, who had her eyes closed and was perfectly calm, then turned to The Shadow.
"Comfort him." She nodded her head toward The Illusionist, then stormed over to where The Magician sat and grabbed her top hat. The Magician opened her eyes in surprise and stood, only to see The Mindreaders furious eyes only inches from hers.
"The hat. Now."
"What did you do to him?"
"Shouldn't you know?" 
From where he was crouching next to the Illusionist, The Shadow turned and joined in the tense conversation, "She's not an actual mind reader." 
The Mindreader waved the top hat in the air. "Answer me if you want it back. What trick did you use?"
The Magician smirked. "A new trick."
"C'mon mate. We need a wee bit more detail than that." The Shadow held a wet cloth to The Illusionists forehead. The Magician's smile grew wider, and she kept her gaze on The Mindreader.
"I let him see his mother."
The Mindreader froze. "You did WHAT?!"
  "Oh, I hate repeating myself." She held out her hand, "My hat, if you would." The Shadow glanced up at the two girls, concerned one might get physical. The Mindreader turned and made eye contact, and he gave her a look warning not to provoke The Magician. She was dangerous and incredibly reactive. The Mindreader handed The Magician her hat and crossed her arms.
"We're going to have to stay with him." The Shadow said, wrapping a blanket around The Illusionist.
"Alright." The Mindreader looked at the Magician for a sign of a reaction. 
"I'm sleeping on the couch." she said, and left, adjusting her hat on her long brown hair.
The Mindreader sat next to The Illusionist, who was now passed out. "Sedatives?"
"His breathing and pulse were too unsteady. I had to."
"Do you have any more?"
The Shadow sighed and held out a bottle of chewable pills, then sat on the other side of The Illusionist and took one for himself. There they sat, sitting on the floor side by sat for the next six hours.


© 2017 Ashe Conten


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this. Looking forward to the next instalment!
A few small points:
= converse should have a capital C, as it is a brand name.
- it should be 'a look warning her
- it should read 'side by side' not 'side by sat'.
I hope this is helpful!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Very unique write, I like all the twists keeps your interested ..... keep writing !

Posted 7 Years Ago


This one is nice. I like the thrills and suspense going. I like the attitude of the characters also. So realistic. Write more.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I've never read anything like it, but the way it is written makes me want to read more. I'd love to see more!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I am starting to feel as though this story is a metaphor.

I didn't understand the significance of the hat.. But nice end to the scene.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is rather cool actually!!! The characters are well written and very distinct from one another, and just how the mindreader interacts with the, that is really cool my friend, i can't wait for more.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nice... I love the suspense ... Write soon!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Ashe Conten

7 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

363 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 19, 2017
Last Updated on March 19, 2017


Author

Ashe Conten
Ashe Conten

Atlanta, GA



About
HI SAM Surprise XD more..

Writing
Truth Truth

A Poem by Ashe Conten


Eagles Eagles

A Poem by Ashe Conten