Letter 10: Who Is God?

Letter 10: Who Is God?

A Chapter by The Joshua Letters

I ended the previous letter by stating that the root of the argument between science and religion is not really the question “Is there a God?” but rather, “Who is God?” (though I doubt science will ever admit that). I also stated that I don’t blame science for not believing in the Gods of religion.

 

Science may have holes in their theories, but with respect to being organized and unified, they are quite impressive. Their standards and systems are well-orchestrated worldwide.

 

Religion, on the other hand, ends up being the very thing on their side of the argument that doesn’t add up. They offer details about God like he is all-knowing, he is all-powerful, he is unchanging from all eternity to all eternity. Religion claims “He is perfect,” yet they themselves are the near epitome of imperfection, or at least disorganization.

 

Now, I know I am being hard on religion, but I am trying to make a point. When I can go to a website like ‘religioustolerance.org’ and read:

 

“According to David Barrett et al, editors of the "World Christian Encyclopedia: A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200," there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and many smaller ones. 34,000 separate Christian groups have been identified in the world. "Over half of them are independent churches that are not interested in linking with the big denominations."

 

Let’s just say that it is easier to believe that a single cell organism formed by chance than it is to believe that a perfect and unchangeable God is responsible for all of that.

 

So, where does this leave us then? If we hit a dead end on both sides of the argument, do we just give up? I meet people all the time who have done just that and who don’t know (or won’t admit) that they have done such, but they prove it when they say ridiculous thing like “truth is relative” or “many paths lead to God.”

 

If God really is “whatever I believe him to be in my heart,” which I’ve heard far too many times, then science is right. He doesn’t exist, but is rather just a self-help concept. However, I suppose this brings me at last to the statement that I started these letters off with: “The pieces of the puzzle are finally available to put the picture together.” Thus, it is finally time that I put them together.

 

To do this, I will continue adding to the Matrix Theory, and in so doing, I first need to expound upon its four assumptions.

 

Assumption 1 is that there is a God. Okay, but who is He and what is He like? Part of Assumption 2 is that He is our father, but this is something that the different tenants of religion do not agree on. Thus, before we go too far, let’s see what religion does agree on with respect to God. Here is what I can find:

 

-He is omnipotent (all-powerful)

 

-He is omniscient (all-knowing)

 

-He is omnipresent (able to be simultaneously aware of all things at all times)

 

-He is eternal (always has existed and always will exist)

 

-He is perfect (a summary of the above 4 points)

 

-He created all things in the universe including this Earth

 

-He has ultimate command over the universe and Earth

 

-He dwells somewhere above the Earth (in the Heavens or some higher realm of    existence)

 

-He is the author of all that is good

 

-He is perfectly loving

 

-He is perfectly just and honest

 

-He wants us to do good

 

-He is aware of us and everything that we do, say, think, and feel

 

-He wants us to move up from where we are now and eventually be where he is forever

 

-The way that we live our lives will determine (He being the judge) if we will get that chance to live with Him after death.

 

That is the extent of what I find religion agrees on, and it offers a fairly good idea of what God is like. However, it offers nothing about who He is. A common answer is that He is our father, which amongst the various thoughts out there makes the most sense to me. When I consider the points listed above, I can’t help but ask myself, “Why would someone like God, who is infinitely more capable than me, have any interest at all in me, let-alone full interest such that He is aware of my every move, word, thought, and feeling? Why would He care what I do with my life? Why does He want me to eventually live with Him?”

 

The only thing that I can conclude is that I am important to Him, and I have no idea why that would be the case except that I am very close to Him, like a son. In other words, if He is acting like a father, then why not be a father?

 

Some religions do not accept that God is our father, yet they share in the beliefs listed above regarding Him. I would ask, “What does it matter if God is our literal father or someone who is acting that way?” The only thing that makes a surrogate parent different from a real parent is how good of a parent they are, and given that everyone in religion agrees that God is perfect, then would it not stand to reason that He is also a perfect parent, be it by birth right or adoption? And why would I care how I acquired his undivided attention and unconditional love? Such becomes irrelevant and I am consequently labeling God as our father in my theory and thereby declaring who He is.

 

That is enough for now. In the next letter, I will continue expanding the assumptions of the Matrix Theory and moving towards completing the picture.

 

Until next time,

 

Joshua



© 2020 The Joshua Letters


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The one big difference between religion and science is disclosure. Science will present the facts for interpretation whereas religion does not offer full disclosure, has misinformed and has kept secrets. Both science and religion are based on faith except that science is based on faith of theoretical numbers and measurement.

I enjoy your food for thought. It is very tasty.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well-written tome. Remember, "Perfect" is a hard act to perform. It may be that we have God in our hearts. Suggest the following for thought: If my hands were the hands of God, what would I do with them, if my voice was his, how would I use my words? Words are like bullets, my friend, spend them carefully and don't forget to slap the forward assist.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Another terrific Spiritual piece. Good Work

Posted 12 Years Ago


Something to think about, interesting write:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Interesting write - Intelligently presented. Thanks for providing food for thought.

Posted 12 Years Ago


well written ........ faith matters , its a nice chapter

Posted 12 Years Ago


Who is God? is a question that has been answered by religion. Catholics put a lot of enphasis on the fact that God is our father. And I'm quite sure other religions have also answered this question.
I don't think you have done enough research on religion. It isn't something that should be taken lightly. Yes it is disorgizned, offers hardly any proof, and can be hard to believe, there's no denying that. If you look at religion this way, you'll never find answers, since religion itself hasn't found most of them either.
But, any religion is filled with hidden meanings. If it is looked at from different point of views, it can hold much more answers than you think.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
EMF
Cracking mind stimulation.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The question "Who God is?" can be answered by reading the whole Bible. Over and over again. He is our Father and we are His Sons. We loved Him because He first loved us. He is not contained in religion, it is by relationship with Him that you know Him. Faith is more true than science and science "don't know" all things. You have written well... again, but as for the issues of being a Father, He already is. What I love most is this: men are inconsistent yet predictable, but God would always be consistent in unpredictable ways. We are all His child if we choose to be and that's what I'm most proud of.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I enjoyed this. It is very intriguing to read and I like thinking about the questions you ask. You definitely have a talent in writing persuasive and intellectual articles and I really enjoy reading them. Thank you for taking the time to share this :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1477 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 23, 2012
Last Updated on May 24, 2020
Tags: god, religion, science, creation, evolution, origin of matter, origin of life


Author

The Joshua Letters
The Joshua Letters

OR



About
Who are we? What are we made of? Where did we come from? Is there a God? Answers unlike any that have ever before been presented lie within the pages of The Joshua Letters. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..