If Not

If Not

A Poem by thenakedverse

One cannot love
If not with entirety-
Its conception desperate
and nurtured by divine.
One cannot love
if not with haunting reverence -
Its fever fueled by prohecy,
an exquisite crimson flush.
One cannot love
If not with sure conviction -
its temperament unwavering,
Unseasoned by hypocrisy.
One cannot love
If not with immortality -
Its currency of old,
But never less, a paragon of gold.

© 2012 thenakedverse


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

100/100, because the poem is beautiful and because it revalidates and revalidates the belief I have always held close to my heart. I am re-inforced and I will go on believing in my way of love...that is with total committment or no way!
Thanks for sharing this NakedVerse. You are a great writer.
My regards....DN

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

As always, you have excellent pacing and elegant word usage. You sculpt a powerful, raw image of Love as a concept. Well done. Even though I, personally, have different views on the matter, I still related. However, you forgot your second P in "prophecy". And I didn't really feel the final line being placed into that particular rhyme scheme. In the rest of the piece, I liked the looseness of the rhyme scheme and the distance between made them subtle. The just felt forced. Other than that, top notch.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I do believe this is true, the trick is finding someone who has the same beliefs. It's a beautiful tribute to love the way it should be. It's a lovely read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Mia
Love is one of those things that means something different to everyone. That’s why it’s so easy to love someone and they don't feel it. Or something of the like. It's always wonderful to read people's view on love. This is great and I like your love...not my view but who's to say mine is right :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Excellent portrayal of what LOVE should be...And indeed IS for many..But love as I am sure you know, comes in many guises and can be impossible to detect just as it can sometimes be impossible to avoid

Posted 11 Years Ago


100/100, because the poem is beautiful and because it revalidates and revalidates the belief I have always held close to my heart. I am re-inforced and I will go on believing in my way of love...that is with total committment or no way!
Thanks for sharing this NakedVerse. You are a great writer.
My regards....DN

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this poem . It has deeper meanings. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


You wrote with conviction. I liked that. Love is powerful and is only real when formed from a place of surety. I enjoyed the flow of the read as well.
One question: did you mean for the line "Its currency of old" to be It's?
That feels like what it should read to me. Anyhow. Gods write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A very good defining of love. Love is hard to pin down. I have lived 54 years and I know less about love today then 40 years ago.
"One cannot love
If not with sure conviction -
its temperament unwavering,"
Thank you for sharing the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


thenakedverse

11 Years Ago

thank you! i wasnt trying to necessarily define love... i feel like thats impossible. but what i can.. read more
if it is real love, it is worth fighting for, working to keep and is revered as something so special we want to handle it with care and never lose it.

that is real love, not infatuation with the idea of love.

this poem is quite expressive of that...

i remember when Death do us Part was said and meant...till death...not till the first argument...

as usual, your phrasing is so natural...and smart.


jacob

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

548 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 3, 2012
Last Updated on December 3, 2012
Tags: love, relationships, passion, conviction, reverence, divine, immortality

Author

thenakedverse
thenakedverse

Naperville, IL



About
Lover of language. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bonfires Bonfires

A Poem by KeeD


dance dance

A Poem by Lydia Shutter