Waiting

Waiting

A Story by thenightqueen
"

short flash

"

           I wake up in the morning warm and snuggled close to her. I hear her breathing, slow and deep and it comforts me. Then a strange noise awakens us both. It is a noise that comes on every morning; that same blaring sound on a small black device. The cell phone. She snoozes it a couple of times so she is able to lay with me for a little while longer. She gets up, makes me breakfast and puts on clothes to leave the house. I wait all day for her to come home, and it is impossible for me to contact her. I look out the window and laze around the apartment- just waiting.

            Hours seem like days, until I hear to door knob turning. I run to her and she holds me tight for a long embrace and smothers me with kisses. Then she turns on the television. We watch movies for hours together all night until we both fall asleep soundly. This is a daily our daily routine.

            People say that a cat may have an easy life, but I beg to differ. Waiting around for the one you love for nine lifetimes takes a lot out of a small creature such as I.

© 2013 thenightqueen


Author's Note

thenightqueen
open for critical reviews and critiques

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautifully clever, elegantly simple.
Like Chris, I can relate this more to my beagle than to a cat, not having one, but I can certainly understand the sentiment here.
The cat's comment about nine lifetimes is delightfully clever. Thank you for this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I was thinking dog from the beginning...but a cat works.

Posted 10 Years Ago


From a cats perspective, I really like it. Makes you wonder what animals really think when we leave them home.

Posted 10 Years Ago


That ending blew my mind. The only thing i can see that needs improvement is some grammatical mechanics. This can of course be fixed by reading over and maybe reading aloud. Besides that, it is a well written short and the ending changed my perspective of my cat haha

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 14, 2013
Last Updated on December 14, 2013
Tags: waiting, fiction, flash fiction, short story

Author

thenightqueen
thenightqueen

Houston, TX



About
Recent graduate from the University of Texas at San Antonio. History major, anthropology minor. I like to write flash fiction and micro-fiction. more..

Writing