Friends

Friends

A Story by theopenbook
"

some people are there when you just don't see them:)

"

What are friends? I often asked myself this question. Who were they? And what was their role in my life.

I never had many friends as a child and I used to envy people who went on trips with their best buddies and had sleepovers at their homes. Nobody wanted to be my friend for a long-long time. And then when I had a bunch of them I realised that they are not what I think of them. They won’t pick up the phone in the middle of the night if I wanted to cry, they won’t run to help me if I needed help, they won’t tell me if the guy that I have a crush on is good for me or not. They are there because they are there and it’s I who need them not they.

 

But friends are not the people who are around you everyday at school or at home. Friends are people who you brush by everyday but never seem to notice. Like I never did but now do.

 

The boy who sits beside me on my school bus but never seemed to talk much is my friend. The little girl who smiled at me one day while passing through the corridor is my friend. The librarian of my school who let me borrow books at odd hours is my friend. The old sweeper at school who once helped me pick my books up when I accidently dropped them on the floor is my friend.  The people who played the role of sheep alongside me once in a play are my friends. The girl who let me borrow her comb once is my friend. The boy who once smiled at the staircase at me is my friend. The student behind who I sit at every exam is my friend.

And all those people who pass by me daily, who make me a part of their time by just smiling, waving, and helping in their own small little ways are my friends.

They don’t know me and they won’t ever but they made me feel special without ever realising it. And when in those days when I feel so alone I think about these numerous people and I smile though my tears.

And I hope that maybe I make a lonely person feel good by just smiling at them. Friends make your life but they need not make it best. And sometimes people just make it best but are never a part of your life.:)

 

© 2011 theopenbook


Author's Note

theopenbook
this for the people i never got to know:) i love them:) please read and review:)

and for all my writerscafe friends for helping me through this portal and it's because of you all that i am where i am:) thank you:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh honey! You moved me to tears! Yes, it is true that some people don't give a damn about a meaningful relationship.. I can't agree more. Amazing insight. I loved this piece. Thank you so much

Posted 12 Years Ago


I agree with this. perfectly put. :) Beautiful. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


How beautiful, and full of truth. Thank you for this, actually. It made me smile and maybe now I'll walk away smiling. It's healthy for everyone.

Posted 12 Years Ago


It was a amazing. It really shows that no one has to be close friends, its those little perchs, in life that get everyone by and maybe in fact people with all these friends are the true lonely ones.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved this, the meaning of it is really nice, truly amazing.
I loved these parts you wrote:
"Friends are people who you brush by everyday but never seem to notice."
&
"They don’t know me and they won’t ever but they made me feel special without ever realising it. "
...really good and nice write, i enjoyed this; it made me smile. : )

Posted 12 Years Ago


It is quite amazing the impact small, gestures of kindness to complete strangers can have. They can even prevent a suicide and save a life. You have gone beyond small gestures for me, which makes you a great friend. :D

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow. Love this! And i totally agree.. Friends are so important in our lives. Their also a support system. When we're down, we turn to our friends... when we need advise... we look for a friend to talk to.. >.< This was inspiring. And yes, there's people that we will meet that may seem like a friend but not truely. Betrayed..hurt.. from someone we thought was our friend is painful.. but i totally agree we have friends everywhere. People we meet... and people who pass us by everyday could be our friends! =D Even online too! ^o^ I consider you my friend. so thank you for writing this. Great write! Very motivating.

Posted 12 Years Ago


And you can consider this good old Yas your friend too :)

Love it, the little that count and mean alot to us!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

441 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 9, 2011
Last Updated on July 10, 2011

Author

theopenbook
theopenbook

Delhi, Delhi, India



About
i just love books because they help me to fight my loneliness:) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My ABCs My ABCs

A Poem by Demetri J