Closer

Closer

A Story by The Dark Passenger
"

worlds collide in this vampire fic when boy meets undead girl...

"

 

What was I doing? Running away at the sight of trouble again, my footsteps making deep tracks in the snow. I couldn't tell if he was following, and I hoped he wasn't. When I couldn't hear his footsteps following my own, or his harsh breathing through the brush of trees and bushes, I almost believed he had done so.

 

I stopped then, hoping that I would find somewhere to hide soon. Before the sun comes up.

 

Looking down I could see my clothes were quite nearly soaked through. So much blood.

What had I done? I could scarcely remember.

 

 

Almost 20 years ago I had awoken in the living room of my home, covered in the same crimson red. Almost 20 years ago, I was the only one in my family to survive a catastrophy that took me years to comprehend.

 

I understand it now; after the early years that were fraught with a blur of chaos and panic, I began to grow into this world I never knew existed. I became capable of things I had never dreamt of, terrible things, things no one should ever have to commit to. At first it was necessary for survival, mere knee-jerks to sustain my pathetic existence. But after awhile, it became an indulgence I couldn't refuse.

 

I died all those 20 years ago, and I was reborn into darkness, into the heart of a massacre. And now, 20 years later, my body still frozen in time, I became the massacre.

 

I am the blood spattered walls. I am the slain bodies on the ground. I am the blood drained women and children. I am death itself.

 

And as I have so pitifully learnt, death cannot love. Death can only destroy.

 

Samuel burst through the bushes suddenly, making me gasp as I staggered backwards. For a moment of naivety I thought he was about to spread his arms and call me to himself. But he only stood his ground and stared at me with ice blue eyes. "Savannah," he with so much disdain it shattered my blackened heart, "What have you done,"

 

"I'm sorry," I said, wishing I could cry. Wishing I could feel enough to cry. Wishing I was human enough to cry. "I... didn't know,"

 

"All those people," he snarled, "What the hell did you do?"

 

"I didn't kill them," I breathed, trying to remember if I had. I couldn't recall a thing, just blurs of moving shadows and a chorus of terrible screams. Someone from my colony telling me to move, to feed, to join in. Then the wonderfully sick taste of blood seeps accross my tastebuds. My teeth sink deeper into skin, so soft, so soft, like it was meant to be.

 

"You're f*****g sick!" Samuel screamed at me, breaking down in his stance. "My family, my... mum... my dad... I..." he finally collapsed onto the snow-covered ground and sobbed.

 

My mind raced, trying to comprehend the thought that I had slain... no... it couldn't be. "No, I didn't, I didn't do anything!" I shouted back. "It was the colony, and I couldn't stop them," He didn't reply to my words, he just sat there, head hung and sobbing. I wished there was something I could do. Something I could say. But how do you fix this?

 

 

I wanted to hold him so badly, I closed my eyes for a moment and wished back to days and weeks and months ago when we had first met. Then to when we had first kissed. But it's not possible, I know my place now... after all that has come to pass... I am just an animal, a ghost, I cannot feel, and I definitely cannot mend the destruction I have caused.

 

 

He had no idea. I should have told him. But how do you put into words the abomination that I was? Neither alive nor dead, just wandering the realm between the two. How do you tell someone you love that you were really the thing they had both feared and hated. How do you tell a slayer he was in love with a vampire?

 

Animal, ghost, abomination... blood. So much blood. And all I wanted was for him to kiss me again, and to tell me he loved me. That nothing would ever change.

 

"Samuel," I whispered, kneeling down in front of him. "Samuel," I whispered again, placing my hands on either side of his head to lift his face towards mine. "I'm so sorry," I managed to say with a shaking voice, "But I can fix it, I can bring them all back... I know how, and then they'll live." I smiled, "They'll live forever,"

 

His eyes met mine, staring at me for what felt like an eternity. My hands left red prints accross the smooth pallid surface of his face as they made their way into his thick auburn hair. "I love you, Samuel," I said. "I'll bring them back for you,"

 

His eyes slid shut as he cocked his head to nuzzle into the palm of my hand. He kissed it gently, and my fingers left red prints accross his lips. I felt his hands rise up to caress my arms, slow and tender, leading all the way up to my cheeks. I closed my eyes and felt his fingers mark me with red.

 

Blood. So much blood. But he loved me still. I could feel it in his slow, soft breathing.

 

He lowered his hands then and placed his forehead against my own. And for a moment's silence, we sat, feeling the cold air kiss our skin, and feeling snow flakes settle on our every inch. Waiting, together, in the deep forming snow. Like two lovers who had made a pact. Like two statues unmoving. Like two souls waiting to be buried in the powder. Lest we all forget.

 

"No," he whispered suddenly, and before I could open my eyes to look at him, I felt a terrible pain enter my chest.

 

"Samuel," I choked and moved back slightly. I stared down to see a stake plunging through the centre of my chest. More blood. My own, mixing with my past mistake. Running down like rain drops against a window pane. So slow, so slow, like it was meant to be.

 

"I'm sorry," he said as he watched me fall backwards.

 

"Samuel," I whispered, a single tear streaming down my cheek as everything went dim. "What have you done..."

© 2008 The Dark Passenger


Author's Note

The Dark Passenger
the pace changes around a bit, this is really more of an experimental type piece. A little more poetic than your average short stories...
hope you liked it, and excuse spelling/ grammar issues please! :P

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on May 28, 2008
Last Updated on May 29, 2008