Chasing Dreams

Chasing Dreams

A Story by thinktodiscover

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” 

~ Thomas A Edison

Many times people overlook the simple beauties of life. It’s quite easy to do, actually. I’m beginning to realize just how easy lately. The past few months have been filled with events, activities, duties and other odds and and ends. Just when I think that I have the maximum amount I’m capable of on my plate, yet another thing is added. My attitude was starting to become tainted with negativity, letting the hustle and bustle overwhelm me. But, let me share with you something which I found very encouraging and changed my outlook concerning chasing dreams…

“Within yourself lies everything you ever dreamed of being.” What powerful words. Read it again, “Within yourself lies everything you ever dreamed of being.” Don’t let that little voice in your head tell you any different, because overcoming that voice is half the battle. Once you are free of that voice which often is excused as a realistic mindset, so many possibilities will present themselves to you. It is my belief that we are our biggest enemies, and we deprive ourselves of so many amazing chances throughout our lifetime, due to our lack of confidence in our abilities. So many times individuals write themselves off as not being qualified for something, when in reality if they had given it their best shot they could have discovered their true potential.

“Remember that all your goals and all your desires are of no value unless you put them into action.” These are the words staring up at me from my brand new Mary Kay schedule book. As I read this quote, it strikes me just how true this sentence rings. What is it that we hold on to and cherish from the time we’re old enough to talk? Our dreams, ambitions and wildest desires! As a child, dreams aren’t considered wishful thinking, they’re fact. One particular time I remember hearing two boisterous five or six year old boys discussing their futures. “When I grow up, I’m going to be a fireman,” one stated as he fidgeted in line ahead of me. The other boy, wearing a bright yellow coat with his hood up and red curls peaking out, responded saying, “When I grow up I’m going to be a traveling scientist!” I found the conversation amusing and the interaction between the children entertaining, but I couldn’t help feeling a tinge of nostalgia as I remembered being younger and having large dreams for myself.

As I said previously, as a child our dreams are considered fact. Children have no doubt that they’ll become what they want to one day, it’s just a matter of waiting until they become an adult. The enthusiasm in a child is beautiful, entirely pure and not tinged with many of the traits which cause self doubt in adults. As we age, this enthusiasm sadly dwindles. Life no longer is focused on reaching our goals and dreams. Instead, it’s about making things work to get by and be successful. After time progresses, our entire outlook on life has changed to one of negativity without even realizing it. Why is this? Because, we’ve been exposed to negativity and failure, to how prevalent these two things are in our culture. After awhile, it starts to make others doubt their own dreams and ambitions. That’s where so many cheat and rob themselves of a joyful future. They allow others failure to affect their thinking, to poison their minds into believing that anothers failure means theirs is destined. Instead, focus on the positive, all of the people who HAVE made their dreams come true. Those people are the ones to see as inspiration. In the face of hardship, they strove to make more with their lives, something many people don’t even consider to be an option.

This being said, my challenge to you today is to allow yourself to remember your dreams, and to not be a critic of them today. Let yourself see life as a child again, possibilities everywhere. Instead of seeing the challenge in every opportunity, see opportunity in every challenge. This mindset will entirely change the way that you see life. See, once you start to view every challenge as an opportunity, after awhile they don’t even seem like challenges anymore. Yes, there will always be difficulties, but if they’re seen as something which will get you closer to one of your goals, then in a way they are a blessing as well. This brings me back to where I was when I began this entry. As I stated, the past few months have been a whirlwind, and at times overwhelming. I can happily say this no longer is my mindset. Why? Because I now can see the possibility in it, the hope and chances in every activity just waiting to present itself.

Some of the wisest words I’ve ever heard come from Thomas Edison, “We often miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work.” It saddens me to think of all the times people short changed themselves of being able to say they made their dreams come true, just because they were too lazy. As I am sure you have heard before, we only live this life once. Really think about that for a moment.. We have one chance on this planet to make an impact, to do our best. Often times this is forgotten and talent is wasted. Don’t let yourself be one of those sad stories. Instead, have faith in yourself and do everything possible to reach your goals.

Now go chase dreams.

© 2013 thinktodiscover


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on January 4, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013
Tags: life, lesson, beauty, experience, ambition, dreams, work, hardwork, wisdom, mindset, selfhelp, adult

Author

thinktodiscover
thinktodiscover

Harrisburg, PA



About
My name is Nicole Lynn and I currently reside in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania. I have always had a special appreciation for nature and find that some of my most peaceful moments are experienced.. more..

Writing