Regarding Love

Regarding Love

A Story by thinktodiscover

The beauty of pure unharnessed love is more precious and rare than the worlds most sought after treasures. A soul who does not believe in the magic of  love is a soul to be pitied. According to Merriam-Websters Online Dictionary love is defined as, “an unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another.” Taking into consideration the instinctual selfishness of humanity, the act of experiencing such a deep and selfless feeling towards another has the power to entirely alter ones perception of life.

In a perfect world the word love would only be associated with happiness and contentedness of feeling such unhindered appreciation towards another individual. Sadly, the world we live in is not a perfect one, thus explaining why more times than not, love triggers the most hurtful types of pain possible. The sensation of knowing love is reciprocated is arguably the best feeling life has to offer. The downfall, however, is that rejected love is undoubtedly the most agonizing feeling one is capable of experiencing.

The complexity of love forces one to make a very hard decision, one which awakens fears usually concealed. Is it better to risk feeling the pain of rejection in hopes of obtaining reciprocated love, or is it better to not risk the emotional torture which more often than not comes hand in hand with taking chances? Both of these options have their positives and negatives, but one ultimately outweighs the other. The heart is something to be treasured and protected. It should not be thrown around to just anyone, not many deserve or are capable of protecting such a gift. Far too often we give our heart to the first person that steps up to the plate and seems to fit the role of a lover. This is what causes the pain. Not everyone is to be trusted, the world we live in is filled with people who will say anything to get what they want. So desperately we want to feel wanted, desired and valued. These burning wants cause us to ignore the flashing neon lights signaling danger. Despite every hint that something may not be right, we fool ourselves to think that everything is perfect. Then, we act so surprised when things don’t work out, and once again we feel more lonely than before.

The reason such pain is experienced is because people so badly thirst for love that they can’t wait, or just plain don’t want to wait. The society we are a part of is one which thrives on the idea of instant gratification. While most things are capable of  being instantly solved, the desire for love is not such an area. Loneliness is not something to be healed by distracting one self with the first person who shows any sort of attention towards you. As said prior, having such a reaction will most times result in more pain and loneliness down the line, not to mention a crushed spirit which feels rejected and used. Instead of constantly searching for others who will make you feel self validated, allow yourself to first be enough. If you can’t love and appreciate who you are as a person, how can you expect anyone else to down the line? Grow as an individual, that way, when it finally is your time for love, you will be developed into an individual conscious of what makes you happy, and strong in your beliefs. How much easier it will be to then determine if someone is truly right for you!

© 2013 thinktodiscover


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
Added on January 4, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013
Tags: love, waiting, patience, persevere, acceptance, time, life

Author

thinktodiscover
thinktodiscover

Harrisburg, PA



About
My name is Nicole Lynn and I currently reside in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania. I have always had a special appreciation for nature and find that some of my most peaceful moments are experienced.. more..

Writing