The Power of Words

The Power of Words

A Story by thinktodiscover

 ”Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.”

Proverbs 16:24

Whoever said, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me,” could not have been more misinformed. Words have the power to bring life to someone, or to bring someone to their breaking point. Studies have proven that for every positive comment one receives, eighteen negative comments were spoken. Even more saddening than this statistic is the fact that the place where the most positive is spoken about an individual is their funeral. Why must someone die in order for others to get to a point of being able to verbalize their appreciation? It’s so upsetting to think of all the unsaid words, which if were spoken could have dramatically changed someones outlook on life.

We as humans have absolutely no problem verbalizing our negative feelings, whether to the person who caused them or to others about that individual. This overwhelming negative talk leads to no resolution of a matter, it simply weighs on the soul and burdens others with negative thoughts as well. We like to pretend we know every individual, Characterizing people we know almost nothing about into certain roles in our head, where we conveniently fit together little stories we’ve heard over time to portray someone in our heads exactly how we desire. Why is it that we do this? Why does our society love so much to point out the flaws in others as opposed to their strengths? I personally have come to the conclusion that it is because we are so insecure with ourselves that we try to find flaws everywhere to justify our own. It’s much easier to look for others flaws and dislike them for those reasons, as opposed to seeing their strengths and appreciating what they have to offer this world. By this never ending process of out of place judgement, it causes feelings of hatred and hurt, thus deterring people from reaching their full potential and not realizing how much of a strength they have in a certain area.

Society as a whole needs a change of heart. There is a big problem in this country, obsessing over the negatives. People devote hours to talk about everything wrong. Instead, why not allow oneself to feel uplifted, and focus about the good? By doing this, it will motivate   people to focus on the positives in themselves as well. Instead of feeling justified in actions by comparing one self to others and their shortcomings, one would feel the desire to strive to achieve more. This is where the power of words comes into play. Vocalizing the positives you see in others spurs one on even more. Remember the last time someone gave you a genuine compliment? Didn’t it make you feel fantastic? When others see positive traits about you, the feeling it gives is undeniable and has the power to entirely change that days outlook. So, back to the original question… Why do we hold back from recognizing what makes others beautiful?

Our words have so much power, it’s crazy! It’s time for people to stop complaining that they have no input in this world. Individuals always say that it’s pointless to try to make an impact, because they hold no place of leadership. Well, guess what? Stop being close minded and change your perception. Your words to others have more of an impact than almost anything. Stop neglecting to use the very powerful tool you have to impact this world. Take joy in giving others praise… Know that simply by vocalizing your appreciation of what you admire about that person it can entirely change their outlook, making the world a bit brighter to them.

© 2013 thinktodiscover


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree the cliche “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is very misinformed. On the other hand, we also have the cliche "The pen is mightier than the sword". Our mothers and teachers have taught us ever since we were born to use our words to resolve conflicts. Words are the most powerful things we have in our arsenal. However, eliminating negative words and comments would not be completely beneficial. I think before you say something you should evaluate the following: Is it kind? Is it necessary? Is it true? Is it helpful?

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
1 Review
Added on January 4, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013
Tags: words, power, wisdom, self control, thought, life, world

Author

thinktodiscover
thinktodiscover

Harrisburg, PA



About
My name is Nicole Lynn and I currently reside in the beautiful state of Pennsylvania. I have always had a special appreciation for nature and find that some of my most peaceful moments are experienced.. more..

Writing