Iola

Iola

A Stage Play by Thyme13
"

A historically based play on the life and times of Ida B. Wells in a One-Act format. If this is being considered for publication, I have a copy with correct formatting.

"











IOLA


By Zach Parker





































CHARACTERS

IDA Mid twenties, African American, lower class, anonymous

writer against racism

THOMAS Early thirties, African American, lower class, grocer,

friend of IDA

OFFICER Early forties, White, Middle class.

MARTIN LUTHER KING Thirty five, African America, dressed in clothes from 1963

HARVEY MILK Forty eight, White, dressed in clothes from 1978
SOJOURNER TRUTH Fifty five, African American, dressed in clothes from 1851

CHORUS Group of performers acting with a single mind. In

SCENE 1 a friend of THOMAS, SCENE 2 allies of

OFFICER and some allies of THOMAS, SCENE 4 two

separate groups: POLICE and PROTESTORS. When not

in a scene, other characters can be part of the CHORUS.


SETTING


SCENE 1

THOMAS' grocery store. There is a doorway which serves as the entrance and exit of the store.


SCENE 2

Memphis police station. This area is separated into two areas by a doorway. The first area is the entrance where the OFFICER's desk is located. On the other side of the door way is a jail cell with barred doors. There should also be a prop large enough for a character to hide behind.


SCENE 3

IDA's apartment. There is a a desk within the apartment. There is a lamp on the desk. The door in the apartment leads to outside. Part of the apartment should be kept dark, with its own lighting. There is also a window, opposite the door.

SCENE 4

IDA's apartment.

SCENE 5

IDA's dream. The pieces of IDA's room remain though they are moved to indicate the dreamy nature of the scene. The door should be moved so that there is plenty of room for characters to enter and exit without being seen after leaving. In the second portion of the scene area is reset back to IDA's apartment.

SCENE 6

IDA's apartment.


TIME


SCENE 1

Five o' clock on a weeknight, March 1892.


SCENE 2

The following evening.


SCENE 3

Two hours later.


SCENE 4

Same time


SCENE 5

IDA's dream in the night


SCENE 6

Late that same night








































1-1

SCENE 1


AT RISE THOMAS' store. THOMAS is busy with

CHORUS MEMBER, handing him a list and some

money. IDA is nearby.


THOMAS

Now here’s the money, you run right down the street, buy what’s on the list and you come back straight away. Don’t let no one see you on the way back neither.

(CHORUS MEMBER exits)


IDA

Now what was that, Thomas?


THOMAS

That’s nothing for you to worry about, Miss Ida. Just a little business.


IDA
Since when did you do a little business by keeping secrets?


THOMAS

Miss Ida, nothing to be worried about. We just need a little protection is all.


IDA
What are you buying that you think will protect you?


THOMAS

Miss Ida-


IDA

And quit calling me that! My students call me Miss, my friends call me Ida.


THOMAS

I don’t know if I can do that, Miss Ida. Not very proper to call a lady by her first name and we wouldn’t want the missus to get any ideas.


IDA
So what did you send that boy out to get?


THOMAS

You never gonna get married with a tongue that sharp.


IDA

Out with it Thomas! Why do you need protection?

THOMAS

Not me, the store! The grocer down on Fifth Street, there’s rumors he wants to take this place out-

(HE grabs hammer and nails and brings them over to the door)

1-2

IDA

I expect he doesn’t like the idea of a colored man talking colored folks’ money, the racist-


THOMAS

There you go again, Miss Ida. You are never gonna find yourself a husband if you keep talking like that.


IDA

A husband’s the last thing I’m after right now. Besides, it’s the truth.


THOMAS

That’s why I’m buying a gun. So I can protect the store.


IDA

That’s the stupidest idea you have ever come up with.


THOMAS

Lots of folks have guns-


IDA

And lots of folk end up getting themselves killed with 'em.


THOMAS

Miss Ida, I don’t expect you to understand, but I gotta protect this place. I gotta protect the store.


(HE begins to barricade windows near door)

IDA

You don’t gotta anything, Thomas! You gotta keep yourself safe. You know if they do come, those white men are not going to like you having a gun.


THOMAS

And if they find out that it’s you who’s writing those stories in the newsletter, getting people all excited, they’re not gonna like you. I just heard an officer the other day talking about Iola.


IDA

There's plenty of girls with the name Iola.


THOMAS

What does it mean?


IDA

It's just a name.


THOMAS

You're a writer, you picked it for a reason. A good one I'm sure. So what does it mean?


IDA

It's Greek for- Wait, who was talking? And what do you think you're doin'?

1-3

THOMAS

A police officer a few days ago, he had a pamphlet. They're looking for you already.


IDA

They're looking for Iola. And if they were going to find out they would have already. If they already knew I’d already be dragged off, probably wind up-


THOMAS

Miss Ida! That’s enough of that. You don’t understand, I’ve gotta protect this store. It’s the only thing I got left.

(Starts to board up windows)


IDA

Got left? You’ve got your wife, you’ve got your friends, and you’ve got me. Ain’t that enough?


THOMAS

(HE pauses)

No, Miss Ida. It’s all I got left of my daddy.


IDA

I-I’m sorry, Thomas. I didn’t realize-

THOMAS

When I was a boy he’d talk all sorts of stories of me growin’ up to do something big. But he also talked stories of us being equal, Miss Ida. No more white men ruining black mens’ lives. He always said to me that I should grow up and be important, so I did.


IDA

Thomas, I know you’re upset, but you’ve gotta think it through. You’ll wind up dead if they catch you with a gun, especially if you hurt somebody.


THOMAS

My daddy wound up dead, and he didn’t have no gun. They took him out to a field, and they strung him up just the same.


IDA

Thomas- I didn’t know.


THOMAS

Mama thought I was safe with her friend, but I ran all the way out to the hill where they had Daddy and I watched it, Miss Ida. I hid and I watched as they killed him, Miss Ida. Then they sold him. Parts of him. Like he was a slave again.


IDA

I’m sorry Thomas, but that doesn’t mean you need to die too.


THOMAS

No, Miss Ida. I’m sorry, but no one makes my daddy a slave, and ain’t no one gonna make me a slave.

1-4

IDA

You’re free Thomas, your daddy was free. But if you want to stay free, you have to go back to your

house, take the gun and hide it away so no one ever sees it, and you’ve gotta stay there. Don’t come back to the store until the morning. Just close up.


THOMAS

I can’t let them burn my daddy’s dream. I can’t go home and let them burn it to the ground. But it’s more than that, Miss Ida. You should know, you were thrown off that train to make room for a white lady. You know what I’m talkin’ about. It ain’t fair!

(HE starts to board up windows again)


IDA

You’re right, it isn’t. Getting thrown off of a train isn’t fair, and neither is your grocery store getting destroyed. But you don’t get to die yet, Thomas. If you want to keep your daddy’s dream alive, you’ve got to live. Let ‘em burn this place to the ground! You can always rebuild.


THOMAS

Miss Ida, you’ve always been a good friend to me. One of my best friends. That’s why I need you to understand why I’ve got to do this.


IDA

You think I’ve never been treated poorly?

(SHE snatches hammer away from HIM)

You think the train is all that happened to me in my life? White folks run our lives. But we got to survive, find some ways to break free. Like your grocery store here, now we're not paying a white man who's never spent a day in the fields for the same vegetables we helped grow. You gotta persevere, we're doin' better and better every day. You’ve got to wake up Thomas; you can’t let it control you.


THOMAS

It’s getting dark and you’ve gotta go.

(HE moves to the door and opens it, waiting for IDA)


IDA

I’m not going without you. Don’t make me call your wife.


THOMAS

She already knows what I’m planning to do. I’m sorry, Miss Ida, but you’ve got to get out of here.


IDA

Then you’ll have to push me out, I’m not letting you die for this store.


THOMAS

I'm not dyin' for this store!


IDA

Dyin' for your daddy won't make him any less dead.


1-5

THOMAS

Get out.


IDA
Thomas- I'm


THOMAS

I said get.


IDA
I'm just worried about you Promise me. Swear to me, Thomas, that you will not use that gun. That you’ll put it away and make sure no one sees it.


THOMAS

If it’ll make you leave, I’ll swear.



IDA

Swear to me on your father’s grave you'll stay safe. For him. For your wife. For me. You stay safe. Please.


THOMAS

I will, Miss Ida. Good night.

(SHE moves to leave)


IDA

(SHE pauses by the door)

And Thomas? You’re right it ain’t fair. I’m sorry about your daddy.

(SHE exits. CHORUS MEMBER comes back with a package, THOMAS opens

it to reveal a gun.)


THOMAS

And the bullets? Did you get the bullets?

(CHORUS MEMBER brings out small bag)


Alright. You go get the others, it’s almost dark. And tell 'em to come through the back door.

(CHORUS MEMBER exits)


This is for my daddy. I hope you understand, Miss Ida.

(HE boards up door. Lights fade to black.)

END SCENE








2-6

SCENE 2


AT RISE Police station/Jail. OFFICER is at desk,

looking at paperwork and checks clock. IDA rushes in.

THOMAS is in cell.


IDA

Evening, Officer.


OFFICER

Evening, Ms. Wells.


IDA

What happened at Mr. Moss’ store?


OFFICER

You didn't hear Miss Wells? I thought you would have known. Your friends shot three officers.


IDA

Damn-


OFFICER

Not very ladylike of you.


IDA

Who- who shot anyone last night?


OFFICER

Thomas Moss, Calvin McDowell, and Henry Stewart.


IDA

No, there must be some sort of mistake. They're all good people, there's no way they would have-


OFFICER

I'm not the judge Miss Wells. Just giving you the facts.


IDA

And you're sure it's them? I didn't even think they owned guns.


OFFICER

They shouldn't have been allowed to.

IDA

Tell me. Did they shoot the officers?


OFFICER

Yes we're sure.


2-7

IDA

Are they...


OFFICER

Dead? Thankfully not. Just injured.


IDA

Thomas and them, I mean.


OFFICER

Typical, only worried about your kind.


IDA

My kind?

OFFICER

All you colored folks look out for is yo'self. Colored rights this and desegregarian that.


IDA

You mean desegregation?


OFFICER

And who are you to tell me what I meant?


IDA

Desegregarian isn't a word.


OFFICER

It's a word if I make it one. That's how the law works.


IDA

The word is desegregation.


OFFICER

You wanna wind up in a cell like your friends? Show some respect to the law.


IDA

Respect is given where it is earned.


OFFICER

And I've never seen a negro earn a thing in their life.

(IDA starts to exit. HE interrupts HER)


Haven't I seen you somewhere before?


IDA

I've lived here all my life, but I've never seen your particularly round face 'round here before.

2-8

OFFICER

'Cuz I just moved here a couple months ago. Joined the force from a department down south. I grew up here in Memphis.


IDA

I never would have guessed. You're such the southern gentleman.


OFFICER

When you grow up on a plantation your daddy puts it in you to be a gentleman. Teaches you the meaning of a switch, how to use it. You gotta be firm and fair.


IDA

Then be fair. Let me see Thomas.


OFFICER
I think a little more respect should be shown to an officer of the law, I think a “Yessir” will do.


IDA

I think it's time for me to be heading home then. I'll try again in the morning.

(SHE turns to leave)


OFFICER

I doubt your friends will even see tomorro' morning.

(IDA stops)

IDA

And what is that supposed to mean?


OFFICER

Guess they don't teach ya much at colored school.


IDA

What's your point?


OFFICER

There's a lot of folks pretty tore up about your friend. Lot of folks who'd like to tear him up.


IDA

And you're going to...


OFFICER

It's the will of the people Miss Ida, it's what the founding fathers would have wanted.


IDA

You might have a point there.


OFFICER

I'm glad you're finally starting to listen to reason.

2-9

IDA

Can I see Thomas now?


OFFICER

Not without the magic word.


IDA

Please.


OFFICER

That's not it.


IDA

Sir.


OFFICER

That's a nice little girl, showing some respect to her superiors. I suppose I could let you through this one time.

(OFFICER allows IDA past. SHE reaches jail scene where THOMAS is in a

cell.)


THOMAS

Miss Ida? How did you-


IDA

-Don't worry about that now Thomas. What did you get yourself into?


THOMAS

We didn't mean no trouble Miss Wells-


IDA

Ida. Not Miss Wells.


THOMAS

Miss Wells, I'm a dead man.


IDA

Don't say that. You fought in self defense. Maybe if we could get a mixed jury.


THOMAS

A jury don't matter, mixed or not. They're saying I shot an officer.


IDA

Three.


THOMAS

Three? Miss Ida, you need to get out of here. Forget about me. Move away from Memphis. I don't care what you do, just get out of here and far away and don't ever come back.

2-10

IDA

I'm not gonna leave you! There's no way in hell I'm gonna leave you here to rot!


THOMAS

You and that tongue. I'm not gonna rot here. They're gonna kill me. I already heard the guards talking about it.


IDA

Thomas, they're not just gonna kill you like that, they're police-


THOMAS

Did that make a lick of difference when they killed my daddy?


IDA

That happened years ago, it was another time.


THOMAS

It doesn't matter how you lie about it to yo'self, Miss Ida. It's still the same. Twenty three years later and back men are still being killed.


IDA

I'll stay with you, get some people to protect you-


THOMAS

And who you gonna get? The police? Look around, Miss Ida. This ain't the world you wish was real where things are fair.


IDA

It doesn't mean you have to die.


THOMAS

It doesn't mean I have to die like that. Promise me something- right now, a promise to a dead man.


IDA

You're not dead!


THOMAS

When I die- don't let them take me out like they did daddy. Don't let 'em make me a slave. Go home right now, get some rope or something, bring it here.

IDA

So you can hang yourself?


THOMAS

So I don't have to die a slave.


IDA

I- I can't. I won't let you kill yourself. We can save you.

2-11

THOMAS

You and the mouse in yo' pocket? It's not gonna matter Miss Ida.


IDA

We can make it matter. I'll write about you, Iola will tell people your story.


THOMAS

Write my wife. Tell her I loved her.


IDA

Thomas- I-

THOMAS

There's nothin' you can do, goodbye Miss Ida.

(She exits the prison, OFFICER blocks her way)


THOMAS

(yelling after her)

You know Miss Ida, you're never gonna get married with a tongue like that.


OFFICER

Have a good chat?


IDA

Yes. Goodnight.


OFFICER

You know, I hope he screams like his daddy did.


IDA

You're a monster.


OFFICER

How rude of me.

(Sounds from CHORUS off-stage are heard)

OFFICER (cont.)
I’d leave now if I were you.


IDA

Who's that?


OFFICER

Friends of mine. Won’t be long now, Miss Ida. Run along now, and be a good little lady.




2-12

(IDA pauses before exiting as sounds of CHORUS grows. After SHE exits

CHORUS enters as MOB. OFFICER opens the gate for MOB, then follows

them offstage. More yelling is heard, accompanied by THOMAS screams. IDA

enters again, and hides)

THOMAS
I didn’t mean to shoot them-


OFFICER

Sinners always repent before they face the fire.


THOMAS

No- Sir- I swear-


(THOMAS is cut off mid-sentence. MOB returns with THOMAS in shackles

and gagged. Several other PROTESTORS are brought out. All of them show evidence of being beaten.)


OFFICER

Tonight, my fellow citizens for a good, whole America, we will make these monsters pay for what they did.


(MOB cheers)


OFFICER (cont.)

We will avenge our fallen protectors!


(MOB CHEERS)


OFFICER (cont.)

We will have justice!


(MOB cheers again, start dragging PROTESTORS and THOMAS. OFFICER leads them as they exit offstage. IDA comes out of hiding)


IDA

But when will we have justice?

(Lights fade)

END SCENE










3-13

SCENE 3


AT RISE IDA's apartment. IDA is walking around apartment,

pacing.

IDA

Thomas, why did you do it? Why were you so stupid Thomas?


(SHE walks to sit at desk. Pulls out pen and paper)


IDA (cont.)

Dear Mrs. Moss. No- too insincere. My condolences Mrs. Moss. I’m sorry to tell you that- Still no. I’m sorry your husband died, and in a terrible way. I’m sorry that this world we live in prefers to kill a black man before- no.

(SHE tears up paper and throws it away)


IDA (Cont.)

It’s late, and another good man has died.

(SHE gets up, turns off lamp and gets into bed. Lights are low. SHE is restless

as the door creaks open. She sits up in bed.)


IDA (cont.)

Hello? Anyone there? Show yourself! I’m not going quietly if that’s what you want.


(SHE gets up, slowly crosses room to door and shuts it)

Must have just been the-

(SHE looks around, from the area near desk THOMAS slowly walks

towards her. IDA sees his figure and shouts)


IDA

I don’t care who you are, you get out of my apartment right now.


(Silence)

You get out, you hear? I will not go quiet or easily. I will not let you take me.

(Silence, man still in the shadows, near desk, HE motions for HER to come over)


If you think I’m playing around, I’m not. You come into the light where I can see your face.

(HE shakes his head, motions for her to come over to him)


As if I’m going anywhere near you. What’s a man doing sneaking into a woman’s apartment at this hour of the night? Turn on the lamp and we can talk like civilized people.

(HE fumbles with lamp, not turning it on, then walks to other side of desk)


Fine. I’ll do it.

(SHE turns lamp on. THOMAS is revealed.)


THOMAS

Hello Miss Ida.

3-14

IDA

Thomas? What are you doing here?


THOMAS

Can't I come and visit an old friend?


IDA
But- But I saw them drag you off!


THOMAS

Did you? Sorry about that-


IDA
What happened to you?


THOMAS

What happened to me? What happened to you? You look like you was cryin'.


IDA

I was not cryin'.


THOMAS

I say you were cryin' and now you're lyin'. Huh. How about that?


IDA
I thought you was dead.


THOMAS

Well, do I look dead?


IDA

I've never seen a dead man walking around before.


THOMAS

Prob'ly for the best.


IDA
And I never seen a man I thought was dead walkin' round neither.


THOMAS

Sorry 'bout that.


IDA
Sorry for what?


THOMAS

Were you writin' before I interrupted you?

(HE walks to writing desk)

3-15

IDA

I was tryin' to-


THOMAS

A letter to my wife? I didn't want you to write a letter to my wife, I wanted you to write a letter to the world.


IDA

Your wife needed to know-


THOMAS

The world needed to know-


IDA

But now you ain't even dead-


THOMAS

You said you were gonna make me matter-


IDA
But Thomas-


THOMAS

Make my daddy matter-


IDA
But you're here now, I don't need to write anything now-


THOMAS

You think those men would just let me walk away?


IDA

If they didn't then-


THOMAS

You think that you could just let them forget me?


IDA
No, I'd never let them forget you!


THOMAS

That's what it looks like to me-


IDA

(SHE cries)

Don't say that Thomas! Please!



3-16

THOMAS

Then you better not let them forget. You got a long way to go Ida, or should I call you Iola?

(SHE sobs)

Oh now, don't start with crocodile tears.

(SHE sniffs)

You're already in denial.

(SHE laughs weakly)

I have bad news Ida.


IDA

I don't think I can take no more bad news.


THOMAS

Remember last year when you gave me that book for Christmas?


IDA

A Christmas Carol. Dickens.


THOMAS

It’s like that, you're Ebeneezer Scrooge and I’m not here for long.


IDA

So you're a- a-


THOMAS

Ghost? I dunno if that's the word for it.

(HE points to her head)

But right now, we're up there.


IDA

Then what are you doing out here?


THOMAS

Remember the promise you made all that time ago, Ida?


IDA

To let you kill yourself? I never promised that. And it was only a few hours ago.


THOMAS

You told me you were gonna make it matter. Ida, you gotta keep your word. You gotta make it matter.


IDA

I promise, Thomas. I’ll keep my word. I’ll write for you, but that don’t mean nothing.


THOMAS

Who do you think you are, 'cuz you ain't the Ida I know. Your words mean more than any other words in Memphis. You see what we all see, but you- you’re a lucky one, 'cuz you know how to say it. To write it out plain so folks all over know. You're not Mr. Dickens, but you still got something.

3-17

IDA

I’ll write in Iola. I'll tell the story there.


THOMAS

A church newsletter? Ida, think bigger than that. You gotta get the people to do something. The longer they sit and just let people walk all over 'em the more grocery stores get burned. Last time I asked you to promise me something, you told me I wasn't dead yet. Well now you got no reason to say no.


IDA

Writing is dangerous work in Memphis.


THOMAS

Bein’ black is dangerous work in Memphis, and I don't see you quittin' that any time soon.

(Knock on door)

That's for you I expect.


IDA
Who's coming at this hour?


THOMAS

I told you this was like that Christmas Carol.

(Knock on door)


IDA

So that's-


THOMAS

A friend of mine.


IDA

A friend of lynchings past?

(Knock on door)


THOMAS

Maybe. Maybe not. You'll have to answer the door to find out. That's how the door works.


IDA

Will you stay with me?


THOMAS

No, Ebeneezer, you gotta figure it out on your own.


IDA
Please stay.


THOMAS

I'm already gone, Iola.


3-18

IDA

Don't call me that. Please. Just Ida.


THOMAS

Then you better call yo'self that first.

(HE heads to dark part of stage and exits. IDA is left alone. Knock at door. IDA

goes to the door. When she touches handle, lights go down.)


END SCENE 3








































4-19

SCENE 4


AT RISE IDA is asleep at desk, knocking at door wakes her up.

SHE crosses to door and opens it. No one is there. SHE

turns to head back to desk and SOJOURNER steps out of

the shadow. SHE has a carpet bag and an umbrella.


IDA

Who are you?


SOJOURNER

Who am I? I could be the sugar plum fairy for all you care. Leaving me out on the porch- the nerve. Don't you know who I am? The nerve of you kids these days. In my day-


IDA
Excuse me- are you Thomas' friend?


SOJOURNER

Didn't I just tell ya I'm the sugar plum fairy?


IDA

I- I know you're not the sugar plum-


SOJOURNER

He said you was a smart one.


IDA

So who are you?


SOJOURNER

Who am I? I'm here to figure out who you are.


IDA
I'm Ida B. Wells.


SOJOURNER

The ex-schoolteacher now hidin' behind a fake name like you got somethin' to hide?


IDA

Well I-


SOJOURNER

And honey?


IDA

Yes?


4-20

SOJOURNER

You just gonna make me hold my own bags? Not even gonna give me a place to set 'em down?


IDA
I'm sorry, I'm so sorry.

(IDA takes bag from SOJOURNER and sets the bag near desk. SOJOURNER

walks towards desk.)

Why do you have an umbrella? It's not raining outside.


SOJOURNER

It is where I came from.


IDA
Where was that?


SOJOURNER

Somewhere else. Now then, why you using a fake name?


IDA
I need it to keep safe.


SOJOURNER

So you using it as a safe name?


IDA
So they can't find me.


SOJOURNER

Ain't that the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.


IDA

What?


SOJOURNER

I escaped slavery so you could use a fake name? Ain't that just rich.


IDA

Wait- you escaped-


SOJOURNER

That ain't the point. The point is, this is the land of the free ain't it?


IDA

It isn't so free.


SOJOURNER

You don't need to preach to me. I gave the sermon.


4-21

SOJOURNER

(looking through papers on desk)

So is this what you're writin' then?


IDA
You can read it if you want.


SOJOUNRER

Never learned.


IDA

You never learned how to read?


SOJOURNER

Nope.


IDA
Then how did you have a voice?


SOJOURNER

I was born without one. Slaves don't get voices, at least not ones anyone cares to hear. That don't mean we don't got a few things to say though.


IDA

Who are you?


SOJOURNER

Who are you? I escaped slavery with my baby girl in tow, and you know what the first thing I did when I got out? I got a name. A real name. And I used that name to find a voice and to tell 'em what I saw. What I knew to be true. Now you're tellin' me that you don't want yo' name.


IDA

It's not that-


SOJOURNER

That's right. You're ungrateful for it.


IDA
I'm not-


SOJOURNER

If you want it, then you gotta use it.


IDA
But what if they come after me?


SOJOURNER

4-22

SOJOURNER (cont.)

Come after you? Girl, they always comin' after you, if you see it or not. They always got a switch in one hand and a bible in the other.


IDA

They don't know who I am. That way I'm safe.


SOJOURNER

You a damn coward is what you are. I got scars on my back for my name, and you're afraid anyone will know yours.


IDA

At least I'm alive, at least I can do something.


SOJOUNRER

Writin' in a school newsletter ain't nothing.


IDA
It's a church newsletter.


SOJOURNER

Don't make it the word of God.


IDA
I didn't say it-


SOJOURNER

Damn coward. What's the fake name you gave yourself.?


IDA

Iola.


SOJOURNER

Eye. Oh. Law. Don't ring a bell. And what's your real name?


IDA
Ida B. Wells.


SOJOURNER

That's it. That's the one. I'm gonna let you in on a secret. Come closer.

(IDA leans in)

Closer.

(IDA leans in more)

I ain't the sugar plum fairy.


IDA

You sure Thomas sent you?

4-23

SOJOURNER

Thomas didn't send me nowhere. We sent him to you. I can say I'm the Queen of Memphis. You believe me?


IDA

Why would I? I know you're not.


SOJOURNER

Exactly. And I know you're not Iola.

(Knock on door)

Would you be a dear and get that? It is your party, after all.


IDA

Ain't it time for you to leave?


SOJOURNER

You're not getting rid of me that easy.

(Knock on door)

Ain't you supposed to be getting' that?

(IDA walks to door and opens it. No one is there. MARTIN walks out from the

dark area of the apartment.)


IDA

I wish you'd stop doing that. You'll give me a heart attack.


MARTIN

I didn't mean to frighten you, I'm sorry.


IDA

It- It's alright.

(SHE looks him up and down.)

You didn't bring luggage?


MARTIN

Luggage? We're not staying that long.

(To SOJOURNER)

None of us should have brought any.


IDA
So are you here to yell at me too?


MARTIN

This must be a lot for you all at once.


IDA
It is.



4-24

SOJOURNER

Don't coddle her. She's soft as is.


MARTIN

True, but we're here to help her get ready. Not to make the poor girl cry.


SOJOURNER

You're soft too.


MARTIN

You're the one who told me I was gonna be a pastor. I better start working on tending to my flock now.


IDA
Wait-so you're not dead?


MARTIN

Not yet. But we all have our time. And your friend, Thomas-


IDA
Please don't-


MARTIN

He's not the only one who needs you.


IDA

What do you mean?


SOJOURNER

We never get the bright ones do we?


MARTIN

Sojourner, there's no need to be-


IDA

You're Sojourner Truth?


SOJOURNER

Took you long enough.


MARTIN

Ida. We don't have much time here. Black folks are dyin' every day, and Thomas is only one of those people. There are more of them out there. And it's your job to fix it.


IDA
Me?


MARTIN

You better step up. If you don't people are just gonna keep on dying.

4-25

IDA
So if I don't do what you want me to... then people die?


MARTIN

That's how destinies work.


IDA

I- I can't.


SOJOURNER

Let's go. WE're wasting our time here.


IDA
No, don't go-


SOJOURNER

We don't waste time with cowards.


MARTIN

Sojourner!


SOJOURNER

It's the truth.


IDA

I'm not a coward.


SOJOURNER

You're here crying 'cuz you're friend died? Sounds like a coward to me. Get out there and do something.


IDA

I don't do things, I just write.


SOJOURNER

Then write!


IDA

I did.


SOJOURNER

What did you write? A whiny little poem?


IDA
No. A letter to his wife.


SOJOURNER

I don't have time for small thinkers.

4-26

IDA
I'm not a small thinker!

(Knock on door)


SOJOURNER

Then get angry! When your friend gets murdered you get angry about it! You use that to get things done! To get change! You don't mope around here.


IDA
I am angry! It's not fair that he died, that his store was burned down. It ain't fair! It ain't fair that you get to some into my house and poke and prod at me all night long!

(Knock on door)


SOJOURNER

That's a start. Now do something with it!


MARTIN

You gonna get that door?

(IDA runs to door, throws it open. No one is there. HARVEY steps out of the

dark area of the apartment.)


IDA
You!

(SHE lunges towards HARVEY. MARTIN catches her.)

It's your fault!

HARVEY

(To SOJOURNER)

I assume this was your doing.


IDA

Let go of me! His people killed Thomas!


MARTIN

He killed Thomas!


IDA
Yes- No- I-


MARTIN

Wanting change is good. Feeling the sting of injustice is better. But pure anger? Never. This man did nothing to harm Thomas.


HARVEY

You judge me on the color of me skin? Seems a bit hypocritical.


IDA

But- I-

4-27

HARVEY

Struggle isn't limited to the blacks. Don't kid yourself.


IDA

You've never known what I've been through!


HARVEY

You're cute. Wrong, but cute.


IDA

Don't patronize me!


HARVEY

Don't worry, honey, you're not my type.


IDA

That's still racism.


HARVEY

It's not that your black. But rather that you're a woman. There's always been struggle, there's always been hate. Wanna know the future? There always is.


IDA

We're gonna struggle forever?


HARVEY

Mmhmm. That and taxes, am I right?


IDA
So what's the point?


HARVEY

The point of...


IDA
This. Writing. Your visits. Why bother?


HARVEY

That's the best part. It all matters. Your writing makes it possible for him and I-

(motions to MARTIN and HIM)

-to be us.


IDA
So you're from-


HARVEY

Now don't go hurting yourself. There's only one important question right now.


4-28

IDA

Why are you here?


MARTIN

That's the one.


SOJOURNER

Guess you're not so bad after all.


HARVEY

We're here to make you.

(All three ghosts stand up. HARVEY takes IDA by the hand and leads her to the

desk.)

I'm here to show you the future-


MARTIN

And the present.


SOJOURNER

We're here so you can stop being a coward.


MARTIN

It's your destiny.


HARVEY

Now go to sleep.

(IDA's head loks heavy then she falls asleep on the desk. Lights fade.)


END SCENE 4




















5-29

SCENE 5


AT RISE IDA is asleep at desk. SHE gives a start and awakens.

MARTIN, HARVEY, and SOJOURNER are all on stage.

THEY are more distant than before.



MARTIN

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment.


MARTIN

We must not allow our creative protests to degenerate into physical violence.


MARTIN

They have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.


HARVEY

If you add up all the us-es, you'll find that we outnumber the thems.


MARTIN

We cannot walk alone. We cannot turn back.



(CHORUS,as PROTESTORS and POLICE, enter. When MARTIN speaks, sign

behind reads “Stonewall Inn”. When HARVEY speaks sign reads “Ferguson,

MO”. When SOJOURNER speaks, sign is not visible. CHORUS moves slowly,

as though at a quarter of the speed of normal time. IDA pushes away from the

group to examine CHORUS. In PROTERSTORS is THOMAS, in POLICE is

OFFICER)


HARVEY

Who are the thems? They pay the taxes and run the corporations and have large investments in the city. But who buys the soap, the food, the towels, the shoes, the cigarettes, the beer and the cars that make the profits for their corporations?


MARTIN

We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their adulthood and robbed of their dignity stating “For Whites Only.”


IDA

Thomas? Thomas!

(SHE sees THOMAS and rushed to see HIM. HE does not react to her.)


(During SOJOURNER's monologue, OFFICER struggles with THOMAS.)


SOJOURNER

5-30

SOJOURNER (cont.)

The Lady has spoken about Jesus, how he never spurned woman from him. When Lazarus died, Mary

and Martha came to him with faith and love and besought him to raise their brother. And Jesus wept and Lazarus came forth. And how came Jesus into the world? Through God who created him and the

Woman who bore him. Man, where was your part? But the women are coming up blessed be God and a few of the men are coming up with him.


(OFFICER pulls out gun. IDA stands between THOMAS and OFFICER to

shield THOMAS. When the OFFICER fires it is as though IDA isn't there and

THOMAS takes each hit.)


MARTIN

You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Let us not wallow in the valley of despair. I have a dream that my four children will one day-


HARVEY

-If I had been content with the back of bus, I wouldn't have-

(Shot.)

SOJOURNER

-Man is in a tight place-

(Shot.)


MARTIN

-not be judged-

(Shot.)


HARVEY

-They were angry. Frustrated. They wanted the world-

(Shot.)


SOJOURNER

-The poor slave is on him, woman is coming on him-

(Shot. THOMAS falls into IDA's arms. SHE lowers HIM to the ground and cradles his dead body.)


HARVEY

-I'll never forget the looks on the faces of those who have lost hope-

(IDA reaches into THOMAS' pocket, pulls out gun.)


MARTIN

-This is our hope.


SOJOURNER

He is surely between a hawk and a buzzard.

(Lights fade on her. SHE exits)


HARVEY

I walked among the angry and frustrated I walked among the angry and sad.

5-31

(During this exchange, IDA takes a step towards OFFICER and he steps back

when noted.)

MARTIN

With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together-

HARVEY

-The only thing that they have to look forward to is hope-

(Step.)


MARTIN

-to struggle together-


HARVEY

-You have to give them hope-

(Step.)


MARTIN

-to go to jail together-


HARVEY

-Hope for a better world-

(Step.)


MARTIN

-to stand up to freedom together-


HARVEY

-Hope for a better tomorrow-

(Step.)

MARTIN

-knowing that we will be free one day.

(OFFICER falls to his knees.)


HARVEY

You got to give them hope.

(IDA shoots OFFICER. At the same time, OFFICER, MARTIN, and HARVEY

all fall back, dead. Loud pounding noise begins, like a loud banging on a door.

This noise continues through this scene and into the beginning of SCENE 6IDA

look at the four dead bodies, sits back down with THOMAS and cries, gun in

hand.)



END SCENE 5





6-32

SCENE 6


AT RISE During time between Scene 4 and Scene 5 the pounding noises continue. Lights are dim as IDA is asleep at her desk then slowly rise as she wakes up, part of the

apartment remain dark. In this dark area MARTIN,

SOJOURNER, HARVEY, and THOMAS all stand.

Pounding noises continue through the scene. THOMAS'

gun is in IDA's hand.)On the other side of the door

stands OFFICER and CHORUS)


IDA

(Waking up)

Hmm- Wha- Thomas? Why do I-

(SHE puts gun on desk)

That was a dream, right?

(SHE gives a start at the pounding noise)

Who's gonna come through the door this time?

(SHE gets up and starts towards door)

I already met three of them tonight, how many more- Three. There shouldn't-


OFFICER
(Offstage)

We know you're in there, Miss Wells. You need to open the door, we have a few questions for you about the recent break in at Thomas Moss' store.

(Pause. IDA moves away from door)

Ida Wells! Open this door if you know what's good for you.

(Pause. IDA starts rummaging through her things)

We're coming for you, Iola.

(IDA runs back to desk and picks gun up, returns to door)

I hope you scream as much as your friend.

(SHE c***s gun and points it at door. Dark part of the apartment is lit,

MARTIN, HARVEY, SOJOURNER, and THOMAS are standing there.

MARTIN, HARVEY, and THOMAS are all bloody from SCENE 4)


OFFICER (cont.)

Are you gonna be a good little girl for me?

(IDA reaches for the door. THOMAS starts to run towards the door. MARTIN grabs THOMAS' arm, shakes his head, and puts finger in front of mouth in shushing motion.)

OFFICER (cont.)

You gonna be a good little girl for daddy?

(IDA stops, looks down at gun, puts it down on desk, sits down at desk.)


OFFICER (cont.)

I'm gonna count to three.


6-33

IDA (writing)

Somebody must show that the Afro-American race is more sinned against than sinning-

(MARTIN, SOJOURNER, HARVEY, and THOMAS cross to desk, watch over

IDA's shoulder)

OFFICER

Three-

(THOMAS stands straight and looks at door)


IDA

-and it seems to have fallen upon me to do so-


OFFICER

Two-

(THOMAS walks closer to door, looks back at MARTIN. MARTIN is intent on

watching IDA)


IDA

-The city of Memphis has demonstrated that neither character-


OFFICER

One.

(THOMAS runs to door and braces it with his body.)


IDA

-nor standing avails the Negro-


OFFICER

Time's up, b***h!

(Loud pounding at door as OFFICER throws himself at door. THOMAS holds

door closed)

IDA

If he dares to protect himself against the white man or become his rival.

(Loud pounding continues)

I ask you to leave the city of murderers and butchers-


OFFICER

You black b***h! I'm gonna rip you apart myself!


IDA

Boycott the city itself.

(SHE stands with gun, walks to door with gun cocked and points it at door. SHE

does not react to THOMAS.)

Together we are more than they believe we are. Together we are united and mighty.

(SOJOURNER, HARVEY, and MARTIN head to original position for scene.

MARTIN stops.)

6-34

THOMAS

No- no Miss Ida. Just go- killing one man- it won't change anything-


MARTIN

(walking towards THOMAS)

It's time to go.


THOMAS

Time to- No. I'm not leaving her to get killed.

MARTIN

Time's up.


OFFICER

How about I git some of my friends? We can have some fun with you-


THOMAS (to IDA)

Just go-

(IDA doesn't react)

Go!

(No reaction)

Ida! Run!

(No reaction. SHE looks down at the gun, turns towards the window and shoots

the window)

OFFICER

B***h!

(Pause. IDA runs back to desk picks up pen and writes, MARTIN nods and

walks to join HARVEY and SOJOURNER, lights dim where they stand to

original level.)

You there?

(Pause.)

That better not have been you blowing your brains out!


IDA (writing)

I beg you to leave, but if you stay stand with me.

(IDA grabs page, pen, gun, and shoves all three into her pocket. SHE goes to

window)

Your new voice in the revolution, Ida B. Wells. (SHE exits out window.)


OFFICER

When I get in there, I swear to God, if you're all over the floor I'm gonna hunt down-


(THOMAS smiles after her, then runs back to the dark spot with HARVEY, SOJOURNER, and MARTIN. As lights fade, OFFICER breaks through the door to find the apartment empty.)


END SCENE 6

© 2014 Thyme13


Author's Note

Thyme13
This script is in the original formatting, so in my copy all of the formatting is correct.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on November 27, 2014
Last Updated on November 27, 2014
Tags: One-Act, Iola, Wells, Ida

Author

Thyme13
Thyme13

Wichita, KS



About
An undergraduate writer with a life that has led me all over. more..

Writing
Breathe Breathe

A Poem by Thyme13


O O

A Poem by Thyme13