Clutter

Clutter

A Poem by Maddy Stillman
"

I don't talk a lot.

"
a tongue

bitten and broken

to match a voice

I never used

suppresses

a word or two

or twenty

never to meet

the ear of man

in a pile

ample to choke

never said

never swallowed

but always mused

always weighing

always a breath

away from air.

© 2015 Maddy Stillman


Author's Note

Maddy Stillman
any feedback is appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I only talk to a few people...sometimes I just use hand motions to get my point across. That being said, I can totally relate to this poem. I love how you broke up the free verse too...your writing kind of reminds me of Ellen Hopkins. I think I've been inspired...great piece. I think it will join the party in my library. =)

Posted 9 Years Ago


What is it that is holding your tongue? The tongue is the great purveyor of beautiful words to a waiting ear. As the taste buds receive the awesome flavors of wonderful well prepared foods, so the ear hears the spoken word(s) and devours them. Maddy, we need you to participate. We value all things new and old as long as they are of purpose! I see that you can write! Keep bringing it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Maddy Stillman

9 Years Ago

Well said! Thank you for the kind words.
Perfect. Nothing to add and nothing to subtract. You have conjured the mindset of many who speak rarely and speak only to a few. Your last lines: "but always mused - always weighing - always a breath - away from air" perfectly describe that purposeful hesitancy to speak. I believe I muse upon words ten times more often than I actually speak them. I love this poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Maddy Stillman

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'm glad you could relate.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 3, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2015
Tags: silence, speak, voice, tongue

Author

Maddy Stillman
Maddy Stillman

About
15 years old. I love to write, especially poetry. I also dabble in photography. I'm always dancing. more..

Writing