Spiritual awaken

Spiritual awaken

A Poem by Mauricio Montoya
"

something that came to mind

"

Spiritual Awaken

 

I look, I see

Even when the clouds spread gray

Vision of the sky enter me

I pray

Realizing what I feel

Is all around me

Out in the open, sometimes hidden

Yet I know you’re there

I’ve been lifted to believe

That I can climb those mountains

And pass the clouds

For on that day

I will say, my lord

Now

 I can truly see.

 

By Mauricio Montoya

 

 

 

© 2012 Mauricio Montoya


Author's Note

Mauricio Montoya
When I pray I know to whom but I have this habit of looking towards the sky so I wrote this, remember poetry is always open to interpretation so I leave it to the reader.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Congratulations this poem has been "approved" for publication in...

THE MAGICAL MYTHICAL MYSTERY COMPENDIUM.
-Metaphysical, Mystical & Fantastical Poetry of the Arcane

By John Phoenix Hutchinson and Others. (c) 2012

Please feel free to submit other poems as you are not limited to one entry. Also please write a short "bio" about yourself and send to me via private message. This will be published along with your poem. Thanks J.P.H.

Anyone wanting to make Submissions to this Writers Cafe "e" book Project can do so on my group page, the deadline is 1st of November 2012.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a lovely poem.

I used to go to church every Sunday with my parents, who were in the choir. Well, my mom is still in the choir, but my dad quit about a year ago because the priest wouldn't stop talking politics, and it made my dad very angry. Dad considered getting up and walking out of church several times, making a real scene of it, but instead he stuck it out through the rest of mass and just didn't come back. He now regrets not walking out and making a scene when he had the chance.

Personally, I quit going to church a little earlier than my dad did. I kept going to church for the first two years of my university experience. There were a few reasons for this. I was being harassed by my choir director for one thing. That in and of itself was tolerable, annoying but also rather flattering, and I didn't want to report him because I didn't think anyone else in the community would be able to step up and lead. But then we got a new priest who didn't speak English very well, and mass became dreary. The priest could only communicate very simple, basic ideas, and I felt I was wasting my time sitting there listening to him. Then there was the issue of wanting to sleep in with my boyfriend. Also, my beliefs were shifting and didn't quite align with the church's teachings anymore. Therefore, I remained spiritual but left the church.

The difference between me and my Dad is that my dad left because he's atheist, has been for a long time, and was only singing with Mom because it was an outlet for artistic expression that they could both do together. My reasons for leaving were a lot more complex.

Anyway, I said all that to say that I really love this poem because of how it shows God can be found in places other than a church. They say that the church is not a shrine for saints but a hospital for sinners and, frankly, there are a lot of things I do that my former church sees as sins that I believe are perfectly moral. Being surrounded by judgmental people and keeping silent about my true feelings on certain subjects became emotionally draining. If I knew better how to articulate my beliefs back then, I might have stayed a little longer and risked burning those bridges by talking about my beliefs, but at the time I thought of the church as a safety net I could turn to in case my life came crumbling down. I've been out of touch with those people for so long, and I no longer live in that area. It was a church with a large population of university students, so it is highly unlikely that anyone there remembers me anyway. My parents' church, on the other hand, I can still see as a safety net because I know my mom only says good things about me there. As long as I don't go muddy the waters there and keep my silence, it's still there for me.

Back to the poem, it reminds me of how, back in high school during my confirmation class, they asked us to draw a picture of God. I drew a carrot, because God is in all things and nourishes us in every way. At least, that is how I feel about God. It's easy to see God in the splendor of nature, but God is also in the most common things.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Many times I too look up as I feel God is way up there somewhere. Thank you. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


I love and understand this poem. Your good words took me to good places. We must open our eyes and appreciate the beauty of life near. Thank you Mauricio for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


`was blind but now I see` ;the song Amazing Grace comes to mind ....a spiritual and inspirational piece
beautifully expressed and well written...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Praying is a personal painting
thank you for sharing yours
like your title choice much
inspiration behind the words you have written
thank you again lovely read

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, right now we see only through a mirror dimly.. one day all the darkness will change to light. Thank you for lifting my spirit, my dear friend.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mauricio, your verse is indeed such a beautiful prayer. I especially like the second line- realizing what I feel is all around me... insight is the best sight to have.

Posted 11 Years Ago


To look at the sky is to see the vastness that can hold promise :) I think your words are beautifully woven :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Congratulations this poem has been "approved" for publication in...

THE MAGICAL MYTHICAL MYSTERY COMPENDIUM.
-Metaphysical, Mystical & Fantastical Poetry of the Arcane

By John Phoenix Hutchinson and Others. (c) 2012

Please feel free to submit other poems as you are not limited to one entry. Also please write a short "bio" about yourself and send to me via private message. This will be published along with your poem. Thanks J.P.H.

Anyone wanting to make Submissions to this Writers Cafe "e" book Project can do so on my group page, the deadline is 1st of November 2012.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

YES IGOT THE FIRST MESSAGE THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS YOU ARE AMAZING AND YOU BETTER KEEP IN TOUCH OR ILL GET THE WATER(HOSE) LOL J/K!! WHEN YOU GET A PHONE YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO CALL ME!!(:

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1775 Views
45 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 4, 2011
Last Updated on December 28, 2012

Author

Mauricio Montoya
Mauricio Montoya

oakland, CA



About
Love to draw and cook from time to time, when I'm not drawing I’ll write poems. My favorite poet is Edgar Allen Poe. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Succubus Succubus

A Poem by Muse


Rebecca Rebecca

A Poem by Tate Morgan