On The Eve Of Destruction

On The Eve Of Destruction

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

Mankind is on the verge of self destruction

"
We are in a time when the world is gray. A world in which the light of reason, compassion, and hope are tragically overwhelmed by the voices of fear, ignorance, and intolerance. Much of which is coming from many of the Republican contenders of late. This comes on the heels of words of caution from one of the most esteemed Scientific minds of this or any other century stating that if humanity doesn't alter the direction we are headed life as we know it will soon come to a tragic and preventable end.  

The insatiable appetite for greed, the unquenchable thirst for power, and the overwhelming desire to control continues to dominate the willful destruction of the world. History is written in blood. Blood spilled by the countless multitudes who innocently stand in the way not for forward progress of man but of some individuals willful determination to reap more power, control, and wealth for themselves.

With today's largest wealth disparity gap in history is a constant reminder of what mankind is doing to our world. As we come to a close of the first two decades of the 21st century few are asking the right questions of how to stop this train wreck of humanity from self destruction. If some are already asking those questions then those voices are constantly being drowned out by the sheer volume of those who are either incapable, unwilling, or just too apathetic to comprehend the methodology behind the voices of reason, compassion and humility.

In paraphrasing Stephen Hawkins summation mankind is actually at a critical juncture of our existence. For one thing what we have done in the name of technological advances has far exceeded our own ability to comprehend all that we have devised and invented. We continue to witness the abominable devastation occurring through-out the world in a time many still would like to consider an age of enlightenment and technological marvels. And, yet these advances of technology have been completely overshadowed by man's darkest side. The wanton disregard for the sanctity of life continues to the point that Hawkins warning just might be right after all. 
 
Events of this past decade and a half from 9/11, major natural disasters, [including the Tsunami's and Earthquakes in which too many lives were lost] the oil spill in the gulf, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and all the other catastrophe's that have brought so much upheaval to so many all make a very strong case that the Four Horsemen are riding down bringing their vengeance upon all of mankind. Stop and think for a moment just within the past few years we have seen greater intensity and with more frequency major natural events the are unprecedented in scoop than ever before. All of which were  brought on by the climate changes that are occurring all around the globe. And you can bet your bottom dollar that fossil fuel consumption is a major cause.
 
Only a few have began to realize the scope and the magnitude of this scourge of destruction. Like termites devouring every thing in their path not realizing that if continued there will be nothing left and all that they sought would have been destroyed. A very sad, tragic and senseless demise of mankind, indeed.
 
Instant gratification, advances in weapons technology and an unquenchable thirst for money and power continues to dominate individual actions. What is happening to often is that these same individuals can't or won't realize the enormous harm they have caused by their actions and in some cases their inactions. What the future holds for mankind lies directly proportional to the will of individuals in their actions undertaken or not taken.
 
The enormity of callous acts in all parts of the world continue to dominate what the future holds for all. From the events form the past 15 years last years so many of which could have been avoided if the will of individuals were poised on an entirely different path. Over the course of the past 30 years mankind has been totally bent on ravaging, polluting, and literally destroying not only themselves but the very environment essential for all life as well. The blatant destruction of the Amazon rain forest, the enormous pollution that continues to mount in our oceans, the heinous acts of violence everywhere, and the continued slaughter of wild life almost to the point of extinction are just some of the prime examples of what devastation man has caused.

A chain of events now in motion has resulted. Still some individuals reject the validity of global warming, deny any wrong doing in their pursuit of profits at any cost, and openly encourage more of the same behavior in all of the waste and pollution poured into our water as expedient rather than procure the necessary facilities to produce viable energy from all that is deposable. As a result of mans indifference and total disregard for all that is valuable and precious more destruction and devastation will continue. The argument is this: Man has by his own nature has contributed greatly to the hastening of not only climate change that has brought about so much upheaval around the world but to what could very well be man's own extinction.
 
With so much at stake why hasn't their been more of an outcry form the populace? The powers that be some of whom are culprits themselves blame others instead. Some believe that the course that nations undertake are predetermined by factions unrecognizable or individuals hiding behind cloaks of deception and deceit in their quest for power and control. A critical juncture in human history is now upon the world's stage. The devices are at hand to preserve, protect, and secure that the future will be there for centuries to come. Nations like the United States and other Industrialized Nations that still have the capabilities and resources have to have the commitment and resolve to show the way for the rest of the world to end the onslaught of destruction that is continuing to endanger the future for all.. Only through total committed actions taken can the almost irreversible carnage and destruction that has plagued mankind through-out history be finally eradicated from the face of the earth.
 
 




© 2016 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Don't know about the last fifteen years. I am minded that since man first stood upright we have been bent on destruction. It's more perhaps that in today's world of instant soundbite communication, we almost see the bullet hit before the trigger is pulled.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
1 Review
Added on January 31, 2016
Last Updated on January 31, 2016
Tags: Climate Change, War

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing