The Power Of Corruption

The Power Of Corruption

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

The basis of why power soon corrupts an individual or nation.

"
Through-out history empires have risen only to fall victim to the power of corruption. It is power that stokes the flames of  progress and also keeps the world in a blaze of conflict. There has always been those who rise to great power who then use their influence to control the destines of man. And, in too many instances out of that power corruption overwhelms whole societies.
Power is a force that moves objects, people or nations either forward or backward. There are many forms of power where the exertion of force in our world today has intensified the plight of humanity. But, when man wields such power too often man becomes corrupt. It is out of the growing power that an individual or nation has over a population the influence he has begets more corruption within that population. We should always remember that where there is great power when held by an individual or nation comes with great responsibility. A responsibility to use that power wisely. And, yet mankind has seen such great power too often swayed by opportunities to acquire even more power. This is where the benefits of power are wealth and control. But, when seeking more power corrupts the good intentions of that one person or nation. What we are seeing today is that power and influence by either an individual or nation breeds corruption. It is this corruption that is a major cause and a result of poverty around the world including the United States. The power of corruption has and is occurring at all levels of society, from local and national governments, civil society, judiciary functions, large and small businesses, and even the military.
Today, the world is again seeing individuals who are in positions of power and influence. Many of them are using their influence and power corrupting segments of society. All we have to do is look at some political candidates and leaders of some nations who wield great power and influence but, that influence has already been corrupted. In history Julius Caesar whose influence in Ancient Rome forever changed the structure of their society. It can be said that the democratic process to which Rome governed put Caesar into power. But, soon Caesar used that great power and influence to consolidate even more power and influence over Rome, corrupted the Roman democratic process. In doing so the power of his corruption further corrupted all of Rome. This corruption hastened the fall of one of histories greatest empires. In the 20th century Adolf Hitler is another example where the power of corruption set the world ablaze in a world war.
What we are seeing today is when a person wields power and control over a population where that power has been corrupted too often spreads that corruption over a society. It is out of this corruption that affects the poorest the most. It doesn't matter if the nation is the richest like the United Sates or the poorest. Take for instance what is happening right here in the United States when so many companies closed up shop here and moved out of the country. The power of corruption has spread into every fabric of our society. American companies and investors are continuing depositing billions into offshore tax havens, avoiding their fair share of taxes which contributes to the decline of America's economy and increases the poverty rate. All because of the power of individuals who control governmental trade policies have become corrupt.
Corruption, the illegitimate use of power to benefit ones self. The word corrupt was fist used by Aristotle meaning utterly broken. In the political sense corruption is a broken promise and an abandonment of good virtues where the power held is influenced not for the greater good but for selfish self enrichment.  Today the power of corruption continues to affect all elements of society. In so many ways the people in power their influence corrupts and undermines political development, democracy, economic development, the environment, and people’s health. Not only that it contributes to the destabilizing of nations which so often leads to violent confrontation and ignites the flames of war.
All around the world  today the perception of corruption by those in power is very evident. The basis is founded on the principal that the more successful you are in life, the greater becomes your power and influence, but also the more complex and multilayered your responsibility becomes. But, by the same token the more successful you become where your power and influence grows proportionally the more you are likely to be susceptible to become corrupted. It can be said as your influence grows creates the chances that the power you have transfers over to those you influence to also become corrupted.
Look what is happening with this years Presidential campaign primary season where Donald Trump has gained a level of influence over many in our society. It is that influence attributed to his wealth in which the media capitalizes on that continues to ignite a rational that is divisive and thus corrupt. We have seen it time and time again in American politics and yet the power of corruption continues to push our society toward the fate of Rome.  Is it too late to save our future or are doomed by the power of our corruption?

© 2016 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
Added on March 16, 2016
Last Updated on March 16, 2016
Tags: Power, influence, politics, history

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing