Blue Gold

Blue Gold

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

Fresh Water, the most precious of all things. Without water there would be no economy, only chaos and death.

"

In no other period in history has mankind faced such overwhelming odds in obtaining enough fresh water. According to the World Health Organization (WHO) the need for potable water has increased drastically over the past 25 years making accessibility to enough water the most vital of importance. Not only is having enough fresh water available for maintaining a nation's overall health, but it is the most essential proponent to securing global peace. Even since time began wars and mass destruction have all been caused by the availability of fresh water being denied to other nations or populations. More precious than gold, oil or any other valuable commodity having enough fresh water has been histories most valuable resource. A global epidemic of disease and plagues will be thrust upon mankind if nations don't resolve and put forth contingencies that will expedite the transfer of abundant resources of fresh water are made available to other areas around the globe where drought conditions exist. Technology has also made it possible to manufacture water where their remains no other alternative.


Water the most valuable resource for all life. But, it is the lack of abundant fresh drinkable water that is an ever increasing global crisis. In 2002, 1.1 billion people, representing 17% of the global population, lacked access to improved water sources. This number is expected to rise to over 4 billion by 2027 if nothing is done. In order to meet the water supply Millennium Development Goals (MDG), an additional 260,000 people must be given access to improved water resources every day until 2015. This is a daunting and extremely huge task, especially when it comes to bringing potable water to more scarcely populated areas. But, to do as we have been doing will still prove most futile with disastrous results. Poor water quality can increase the risk of such diarrhea diseases as cholera, typhoid fever and dysentery, and other water-borne infections. Water scarcity can lead to diseases such as trachoma (an eye infection that can lead to blindness), plague and typhus. Another problem associated with water scarcity it encourages people to store water in their homes. This can increase the risk of household water contamination and provide breeding grounds for mosquitoes - which are carriers of dengue fever, malaria and other diseases.


Conventional processes for the production of potable water are only economically feasible at a relatively large scale. Small membrane plants exist in many, mostly developed countries, but typically require daily or weekly maintenance. Also, although standard ranges of units do exist, these are usually customized (i.e. with added improved pre-treatment, containerized etc.) for a specific purpose, resulting in large costs for the engineering and design of each unit. In remote areas, the problems of frequent cleaning and maintenance by trained personnel are, of course, compounded. Also, an all-important barrier to overcome is robustness of a transportable unit during transportation and operation, where in some remote areas in Africa the unit will have to be transported the last kilometers on very inferior roads or trails.


With the population globally at around 7 billion today the projected population growth rate will exceed by over 45% over the next 50 years. Today, there remains only a finite supply of drinkable water which means without correcting and solving this most acute crisis global tensions will only continue to escalate. By 2025, water demand is projected to exceed supply by 56%. Demand is doubling every two years. And serious shortages already affect nearly 450 million people in over 29 countries. What this all means is that the world today is rapidly running out of fresh water. Figuring in the amount of pollution that is still pouring into rivers, waterways, lakes and even the world's oceans is contributing on such a massive scale the reduction of available fresh water is more than tripling the rate of decreasing amounts of fresh water available for all life on this planet.


Countries like China, India, Africa and Latin America are in dire straits. China and India account for 40% of the world's population. Yet neither country has potable tap water. Two-thirds of China's cities face water shortages. And in big cities like New Delhi, ground water is expected to dry up by 2015. In Latin America, about 15% of the population - 76 million people - lacks safe drinking water. And 116 million don't have sanitation services. The prognosis if man continues of the same path of denial to the monumental crisis at hand the world that we now know will be no more.

Using the availability of today's technology there are increasingly innovative ways to make clean water from dirty water, produce more available potable water, and encourage more conservation of the available water that is at hand. Whether it is seawater desalination, water recycling and purification, wastewater treatment, potable water treatment, or water creation {which is just starting to be known because of the new development of technology that is making this possible} are all real authentic solutions to this very real imminent threat to the existence of life.


When China is expected to spend more than a trillion dollars over the next ten years to secure more fresh water for their growing population they are recognizing the enormity of a crisis in the making and are doing enough investment so their population even with all its projected growth will have enough available fresh water to maintain health and security. A sot of water revolution is afoot in China right now. On the other hand in the United States there remains virtually no real contingencies to combat water shortages here. In Tampa, Florida where the Tampa Bay Water Authority is spending millions of dollars to rectify the gaps in the Hillsbourgh Reservoir has turned out to be essentially the money pit of Florida.


Today's advancement in technology has made it possible that man can manufacture enough drinkable water using the relatively well known equation H2O. The most abundant source of fresh water is actually in the earth's atmosphere. For instance, when atmospheric humidity condenses, it falls as rain. We now have devises that enable every one to replicate natures process of delivery rain. A devise so extraordinary that very few know of its existence. It replicates natures process of condensation by simulating the dew point which makes it possible to continually make water even in very low humidity conditions. In Florida where humidity is so stifling during the summer more water can be made. Even during the winter enough water can be made to ensure that everyone has access to abundant fresh water where the average temperature is above 60 degrees and the humidity is above 40%.


In practically every society there are those who continue to exert their dominance over others whether it is for power, control or wealth there will always be populations that are subjected to the greed of others. All through-out history man has sought to control others through manipulation, and control of certain devises that can make a monumental difference in the quality of life of others. In this case the manufacture of fresh water using natural resources like solar or wind to produce the energy that provides the power to replicate natures process of condensation is paramount in securing abundant fresh water wherever it is needed. The money poured into say, the Hillsbourgh reservoir would be better spent in providing funds so more people would have access to these devises that can actually produce fresh clean drinkable water anywhere.

   

© 2016 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on April 25, 2016
Last Updated on April 25, 2016
Tags: Water, Fresh water

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing