The Summer Wind

The Summer Wind

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

the summers of my youth were some of the happiest times of my life.

"
A kaleidoscope of images flows through conscious thought as I search through the years to those moments of carefree summer days of long ago. Now, as this summer winds blow I often drift back to the sublime ambiance that made those summers so memorable. The days of carefree adolescence filled with puppy love romances and adventurous escapades. It was always when summer winds started to blow off we went to Lake Geneva. Our cottage by the lake created memories so sweet and true. Even to this day with great fondness I think back and recall the friendships that were forged and the crazy stuff we did.   

When I think about the youth of today how fortunate I was to have experienced a period in time that is totally unrecognizable to today's generation. I am sure that many of today's youth create special memories of their own. But, what made those days when the summer winds blew special was not the fancy technologies that so many today are exposed to but the comradery that was bonded by the shared adulation when friendships were made. 

 Though the years since may not have been kind but I have always kept those memories alive from when the summer winds blow. Now, in the autumn of my years and so far away from those summer winds I continue to think back to a more tranquil, more sedate and tempered ease of life. Something that is totally missing in today's world. A period in time when people were living and not just existing. 

As this summer winds has started to blow I look back to see a sweeping sadness, a foreboding premonition that turns the gentle summer breeze into gale force winds. And, where all that is left are those tender memories. So fortunate I was for today so many won't be able to have sweet memories to cherish the way that I have. Far too many all that is are cries of desperation waiting and praying for better times ahead. It is so sad that those yesteryears when the summer wind blew haven't returned for a new generation to experience so that they too will have fond cherished memories of their own. And, now I ponder what went wrong?

To answer that question I look around today and witness so many injustices, mayhem, crime and so many lost opportunities that have made life unbearable for so many. For them when the summer winds blow only create an inferno of depravation.  Far too many continue to be caught in a vicious cycle of poverty. The ever elusive quality of life is far beyond their reach. The many marvels that have come about whether it is in medicine, science or technology remain unattainable. This continues to prohibit the formation of fond memories when the summer winds blow.

The dreams of hope, aspirations and the blissful times of all my yesteryears have been washed away. The shedding of tears the world over now fill our existence with want, worry, and woe. No longer are those moments where harmony and peace prevail but are always kept alive in our conscious thoughts. So many of our conscious thoughts now have been shrouded over by the tempestuous adversity of our times. The toils of our days and nights are filled with endless hours of emptiness. A void that has grown to expansive to cross. Stranded now in hopelessness, desperate for better times to come.

If only we could script our life as well as those who purposely script one for us. That script though is filled with scenes which only produce more harsh realities for the rest of us. They continue to thwart our attempts to fulfill the dreams we once had. You know those dreams where life fulfilled is a joy an exuberance that transcends above the mundane everyday life that now permeates our own existence. All the while the scripters that turn out page after page of deception and deceit where the masses are caught in the plot that only produces more misery and woe. But, as the plot thickens it is only the wealthy that continue to thrive. With so many caught in this whirlwind of unfulfilled dreams even more questions arise.  Yet the powers that be are oblivious to the plight that surrounds so many. 

As Shakespeare once stated " All the world's a stage." The harsh reality is, we the hapless population, are all but bit players. Like pawns that are expendable by the ones that wield the power that controls our destiny. So sad this tale of woe and betrayal that is being played out today. We can remember happier times of not to long ago. A time were dreams really did come true when those summer winds blew. 
 

© 2017 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
Added on July 9, 2017
Last Updated on July 9, 2017
Tags: childhood memories, Today's reality

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing