Self Destruction

Self Destruction

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

The planet is heading toward a major catastrophe that has all the earmarks of Global devastation.

"
As with all things in life questions always surface as to the purpose of ones own existence. The burning desire to find answers has pondered and perplexed man since the beginning of time. Whether we choose to accept the rational that man has dominion over all or not, or is the essence of when life ends sums up the justification that we are all just dust in the wind a prelude to more unanswerable questions? 
 
As sobering as life may seem to be today one cannot help face the realization that when God put us here on earth we really do have a purpose. A reality that man has a sense of responsibility for a life that is so precious. Humanity has always had the ability to find and make meaning to their own existence. But, all too often that road to find that meaning is hidden or rerouted by those who have chosen a path more sinister to follow. With deception and deceit a will full desire to impose injustices for so many has prevailed for centuries.
 
History is full of those inflictors of terror from Biblical times all the way through today. It was in the 20th century that humanity witnessed one of the most horrific acts of wanton catastrophic carnage's in history. As it is so often it is the poor, the destitute, the feeble and the hungry are all victims of life's struggle to survive in a world plagued by man's own thirst for power, control and wealth. When Hitler came to power deluding the masses in Germany to think that he had the greatest plan to ease the economic woes of a country the trap of deception set the world on fire.
 
Now, time has eclipsed into the 21st century and yet again mankind is faced with the realization that history has only repeated. A repeat but with different characters in play. It seems that we are all witness to certain individuals who have displayed that "Marie Antoinette like syndrome."  Just look at the Republican heath care bill.  Many today through their actions have continued to show not by example their benevolence toward humanity but by the brutality and savage acts of total disregard for the sanctity of life, liberty and livelihoods. 
 
On the world's stage there are players whose dominance prevails despite public outcry's of injustices. It is these injustices that have left whole societies to languish in desperation seeking any improvement in a life that is so precious. In Syria, an entrenched leader continues to defy the public outcry have only made a country embroiled in bitter savage conflict. A civil war that has ignited flames of open rebellion that could at a moments notice spread like wildfire and engulf the entire Mid-East. At the same time we now have  the world faced with a clear and present danger. The greed of man whose dominance over the planet has far exceeded the earths capacity to have a balance with nature. The result is global warming will have only intensified where if noting is not done immediatly to eliminate green house gases in less than 50 years mass extinctions will have occurred. Governments will topple, Humanity will be face with unbearable conditions, war, pestilence, famine, and death will follow.  
 
While most of our leaders focuse on what is playing out in the Mid-East, North Korea and elsewhere lies that more elusive danger that is already engulfing the planet. With stealth like agility mankind has inadvertently set in motion a potential cataclysmic catastrophe. For the sake of more power, control and wealth we continue to ignore the realm of reality that our own greed and expedience of our continued consumption of existing energy that powered the first and second industrial revolution has put the whole planet on a collision course with disaster.
 
We are witnessing today scenarios that have been played out before where the power brokers of indifference have orchestrated events that continue to keep populations impoverished, languishing in acute desperation seeking any hope that someday they too will be able to live a life that has meaning and a purpose. We all have to remember that all life has a purpose, a destiny to fulfill. From the tiniest insect to the giants of the ocean all have an internal part in the evolution of mankind. But when man sets a course of disruption in the balance of nature and in the abilities of societies to expand and improve for the sake of personal self gratification whether it is in the forms of more power, more control or more wealth the world will only continue to ignite the flames of destruction.

To save ourselves from ourselves there has to be a urgent and immediate halt to carbon emissions while at the same time implement what is now known as the Climate Change Reversal Project. We have to understand that for over 60 years now our increasing consumption and steady reliance on fossil fuel sources have opened holes in the ozone that are causing dramatic climate changes all around the globe. So what the planet is experiencing today are the results of man's indifference to what has amounted to a blatant disregard for the sanctity of life just for the sake of more corporate profits. With over a century of CO2 emissions produced by all the mechanisms that rely on carbon fuels has opened holes in the ozone that will never be repaired without developing a compound that will permanently close them. Sure, man has reduced carbon emissions following the Montreal Protocol but to secure the future for our planet the successful completion of the Climate Change Reversal Project is vital.

To fully understand the scope of the severity of one of man's greatest threats is to understand just what is Co2 and how it is so disruptive to the earths atmosphere and the effects it has on our climate. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a clear gas composed of one atom of carbon and two atoms of oxygen. Carbon dioxide has many chemical forms. Under standard temperature and pressure conditions, it is stable, inert, and non-toxic. Carbon dioxide occurs naturally in small amounts in the Earth's atmosphere. Carbon dioxide helps create and maintain the natural greenhouse effect that keeps the Earth friendly to life. Without this effect, Earth’s temperature would be a chilly 0° F.  Plants break down the CO2 into carbon and oxygen, releasing the oxygen into the atmosphere, and retaining the carbon to live and grow.

Ever since the first industrial revolution humanity has been adding more CO2 to the atmosphere affecting the ability of natural absorbers, such as forests, to remove CO2 from the atmosphere. Now within the past century what man has done with so much deforestation especially the almost depletion of the Amazon Rain forest which is still ongoing those natural absorbers, aka the forests has only increased the amount of Co2 into the atmosphere further opening the ozone. While CO2 emissions come from natural sources it is man for over a hundred years who are responsible for the increase that has created openings in the ozone that without a counter offensive those opening will never close. And, without closure the planet will continue to see more climate disturbances the likes that have never been seen before in modern times. Already in the Arctic the perma frost is causing the release of methane gas. This causes extreme co2 emissions the likes of which are able to induce a catastrophic rise in the earth's temperatures. And, that means a quicker onslaught of deadly disasters all around the world.

We all know that the increase in CO2 emissions is due to energy use by an expanding economies and populations and we also know that reducing those co2 emissions are done by operating more fuel-efficient vehicles, and using more efficient appliances. We can also reduce CO2 emissions through conservation, such as reducing personal energy by turning off lights and electronics when not in use and driving fewer miles.  It is imperative that mankind produce energy from renewable sources and completely eliminate the need and use of carbon fuels. Another way to reduce CO2 emissions from coal and gas-fired power plants is carbon dioxide capture and sequestration. But, with our Republican led legislature and Trump as President fail to realize is that all of humanity and the Planet are in grave immediate danger. We need to start removing the CO2 that exists in the atmosphere now and even if we stopped adding to the carbon dioxide that is presently in the air, this high level will continue for possibly thousands of years and our ozone will never close in ours or our grandchildren's lifetime. That's if we are still able to survive.  

But, how do we remove the excess COfrom the air and close those openings in the ozone? Even if we put in place many forms of carbon dioxide capture devises the need is more than apparent that a chemical compound much like what has just been recently developed, a bacteria the dissolves plastic, is needed to stave off a possible Armageddon like climate change scenario. We all have to realize that to reverse climate change, our society requires something beyond today’s renewable energy technologies. Fortunately, new discoveries are changing the way we think about physics, technology, and biology all the time. While humanity is currently on a trajectory to catastrophic climate change, this disaster can be averted if researchers aim for goals that seem nearly impossible. That is the real purpose of why Climate Change Reversal Project must and can not fail.

There must be an international collation with the aggressive backing of every industrialized nation to find that chemical compound that will when released in the stratosphere will close the openings created by man's indifference to our planet . Failure is not an option. It is time to educate the Republicans and other climate change deniers that all life is precious and that we must do everything possible to save our planet. The only home we have. If we don't there will be no future for any living thing. 

© 2017 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
Added on July 11, 2017
Last Updated on July 11, 2017
Tags: global Warming, climate change

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing