Is This The Shape Of Things To Come?

Is This The Shape Of Things To Come?

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

Is the world that much closer to disaster?

"
As the soft gentle summer breeze flows it is hard to imagine all the horror taking place in today's modern world. It seems mankind has really done it this time. Many of us especially baby boomers have fond memories of carefree summer days and whatever harsh realities existed then were really a world away. As sheltered as we once were we have now come to realize how much misery there really is in the world around today. Now, the sun is setting on the twilight of my years and in my solitude visions of fleeting memories cascade through my conscious thoughts. As if it were yesterday but yet so far away was a world that today is so unrecognizable and different as night is to day. I tremble at the thought that is this the shape of things to come. For those of us that have made it this far where we have reached the golf cart reality, something I thought I'd never be, I have come to realize just how fortunate so few of us really are. 

It has taken humanity 50 years or so for our society to transform the social morals that were held to high esteem into amoral acceptance now becoming the norm. Even the worlds environment has become a cataclysm of one catastrophe after another. More of man's indifference and greed has set in motion an imbalance of nature that has but this planet on the verge destruction. Probably, the only things that have evolved for the betterment of mankind are the technological and medical breakthroughs that have been developed. Unfortunately, though still millions the world over are unable to be beneficiaries of all that man has deployed. The very sad truth today is society's ethical and moral virtues have slowly and methodically withered and died on that vine of so many lost opportunities. The vine of opportunities that have greatly contributed for man's quality of life in years past has now gone through an agonizing death witnessed by whole generations.  
 
Today, whole cities face acute fresh water shortages and contamination. All brought on because man continues to pollute and introduce toxins knowingly into our lakes and rivers. Years of continued  environmental damage to our oceans due to pollution has now rendered humanity almost incapable of stopping the surge of life threatening conditions for all living things. Nothing is more sacred to the sanctity of life than the availability of abundant fresh water and pollution free oceans. Now, too many of the powers that be continue in denial of what they have wrought. Though disingenuous policies and outright ignorance have all contributed to our society pretty much incapable of stopping the juggernaut of calamity that awaits. Oblivious to what they continue to do has put this nation's and the worlds future in grave jeopardy.     
 
It was a few yeas ago that an outbreak of one of the worlds most deadly diseases put the world on notice that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are right at our front door. Yet, we still are woefully unprepared for when a real pandemic strikes. Then, we have those whose hidden agenda evokes a more sinister plot. They hide behind cloaks of deception willingly conceiving such a deceitful plan to reap more power, control and wealth at the expense of all who stand in their way. When there is no known cure as we are told, yet those who stand to gain considerable power and influence once more ignore and under the cover of the sanctity of life put profitability ahead of all others that matter. Pharmaceuticals and known cures remain hidden while millions the world over suffer and die needlessly. Of course when profits are to be made that known cure suddenly appears like some magic potion. But, still if one can't afford well tough luck as the saying goes.  
 
The shape of things to come when the world continues to use fossil fuel all have contributed to the climate changes that has only further contributed to the coming arrival of an apoplectic event. When so much wealth being made it is more than conceivable a few are willing accomplices to the powers that be. It has been for the past forty years they continue to ignite flames of terror sending shock waves of violence all around the globe. From the rivers of blood following in Syria, the constant threat of nuclear confrontation with North Korea, and the current exchange of threats with Iran are all hotbeds of instability.  

The world today has the availability, the technology and the resources to come up with cures for deadly diseases and energy sources that by design are environmentally beneficial, cost efficient, and renewable. The choices are there. Do we dare remain on this path of destruction by being so transfixed on those energy sources that powered the first Industrial Revolution or do veer away on a new path of discovery using renewable energy sources that will pave the way to peace and prosperity in powering the final Industrial Revolution?  Do we dare expose to the world that we do in fact have known cures and lifesaving drugs but are unavailable until they can be more profitable? Is this the shape of things to come?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

© 2018 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on July 31, 2018
Last Updated on July 31, 2018
Tags: Energy, Humanity

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing