Life's Encore

Life's Encore

A Story by Dr. Tim Williams
"

Remembering days of long ago

"
As the years have flown by conscious thoughts always come back to that distant time in a place far removed from the harsh realities of today. As if I was in a vortex where space and time catapults me to that realm of reality of those carefree days of so long ago. As though it really was yesterday precious memories have stayed with me all through the years. Now, as the days are short and the cold November winds have already started to blow the world of now has made a tragic turn from those precious days of yesteryear.  The world has turned over so many times since I was a young man. Many of us feel that our world is heading toward a conclusion where the realities of hopelessness and desolation are all around.  

With the world spinning out of control so many times I withdraw into the past where the days of joy and jubilation seep into conscious thought. I can still see their faces so clearly now. The friendships that were forged and yet so tragically let go. The years since many were unkind. Though fortunate I was to have weathered those tough times. I keep pondering the what if's and what could have been for the decisions I made affected more than just me. As the circle of life comes to a close I have little hope that the world I leave behind will be filled with memories of fellowship, wonderment, and joy. In a blink of an eye it could all come to an end.

Now, I keep trying to convince myself that there is hope alive for with each passing day the sun still rises and I am still able to make it through the day. Maybe there is a greater purpose after all. We all should remember what life is all about. Do we stay around for an encore performance where life is given another chance?  Yet, too many times the dark clouds of despair so often dim the setting sun. I have seen it all too often as each year rolls by.

In the twilight of my years I remember it best, of the days filled with loves sweet caress only to be ripped apart by tempestuous  times. Those bittersweet moments of loves so long ago have lingered in memory that have become so frequent now. Those times when I was young the passion grew. Now, all that is left is a memory or two. In the years that have gone by much joy has withered away. It seems that life has lost it's way. In the world around there is so much sorrow and woe. I try as I might to find a purpose each day. But, it keeps getting harder with the passing of each day. 

In each passing decade where in the heat of passion the flames of desire too often burned themselves out. All that was left were embers that grew cold. I can't help thinking though that I was guided by some force to somehow have ever made it this far. But, too often the decisions I made many a time I turned left when I should have turned right. The mistakes I made along the way there was always a price to pay. But, as life goes on I have learned from the past.

Now, I keep questioning is it human nature to repeat events of the past where only the variables change, or do we just blindly without forethought repeat our history now with a different set of circumstances that only produces almost the same results as before? In the history of man we have seen it too often before. We have inadvertently or not repeated events of the past. This only has proven that mankind does in fact have a real inate sense to not only repeat history but make the same mistakes all over again

When will we ever learn? Now, I keep thinking about the times of my life it is as though I am doing an encore performance of life. Though the spring in my step has lost much of it's punch. But,  I keep trying to make a difference each and every day. Now, the gray has turned white but my memory is intact. Much of what I have learned keeps me on track. Try as I may there are those who distract only to forget that we still have a lot to learn. We can do more than just hope and pray for mankind's future hangs in the balance of what we all can do today. 






© 2018 Dr. Tim Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on October 16, 2018
Last Updated on October 16, 2018
Tags: life, memories, the times of today

Author

Dr. Tim Williams
Dr. Tim Williams

Tampa, FL



About
A feature writer for the Tampa Bay Examiner. Founded the Department of Economic Development for the cities of Salem and Brockton, Mass. more..

Writing