KALEIDOSCOPE WORLD

KALEIDOSCOPE WORLD

A Chapter by CHRIS ANDES
"

a salute to king of rap

"

1990. Two years before I was born, it was a usual tropical night that glimmered in the dark sky of Manila. As the crescent moon gazed upon each close window of souls snoring on their beds, its silver sparks kissed the midnight mist of every leaf waving to and fro. But this night wasn’t that ordinary, especially for those people wearing shirts with three stars and a sun printed all over. Every minute they count, ticking their lighters to lighten the huge stadium of Araneta. They’re all waiting to once again rock out their night by the legendary king of rap, Francis M. It was the year where his name is uttered wherever you heard about hip hop stuff or mostly burst out of your computer screen whenever you type the word ‘rap music’. Most people knew him as the jolly, energetic and perfect icon of Filipino music industry, but who really is he, in the real world, as a man, a father, a husband and as a friend?

            Kiko, Francis M, King of Pinoy Rap, Master Rapper, Father of Pinoy hip hop, FM, the man from Manila or whatever you call him, he is still the Francis Durango Magalona; the man with big dreams who stirs up the nationalism among Filipino hearts. I never knew him before, and I take rap music most likely as a joke, but each time this music is played, I always think about my absurdity; the irony that I simply adore him and his music. He’s typically seen on a usual get up; baggy pants, white shirt with Philippine flag print on it, long necklace, huge cap slightly twisted and a gorgeous smile on his small child-like face. His Children- Unna, Nicolo, Francis Jr, Elmo (actor), Arkin, Clara, Maxene (actress) and Saab with his wife Pia served as his melody and lyrics for his hip hop world. Yo! He’s simply amazing, popularity and contentment. You can view him with a perfect life, as most people believe. Yet he’s still a man like normal people who cannot be freed not to stumble on a rough journey; as philosophy states “the only thing that man cannot be freed upon is freedom itself”.

            2008. Tears suddenly flow from a million heart-beaten fans after the public announcement of Francis M’s AML ( Acute Myelogenous Leukemia) which he’s already suffering for months. The 7107 islands of the Philippines collapsed to sympathize with him. Most radios played  ‘mga Kababayan ko!’ his signature song and many wore the 3-star-and-a-sun symbol on their shirts, caps, shoes, bags, parts, keyrings, phones or even on their wrists and arms as a tattoo.

            Fear, slowly embraced every heart in solitude from his friends who are afraid to lose the positive bond they’ve shared for almost a decade. He's a true man who speaks his mind, loyal to his country, with dignity and with solid principles of life. He doesn't deserve that. For his family, he is a great honor; a man who brought peace and awareness through his nationalistic raps; a dad who brighten up his children’s heart with just little jokes and a smile.

I never see him in person, but his songs deeply touched my heart to beat faster; and I feel like I need to do something; something to let them remember that there’s a man who have the courage to step up and make a change, filling a hole on every heart once loss of its true Filipino color.

            March 6, 2009. Significant minute’s runs faster with Pia and her children hold together. Each of them speaks nothing; blood runs through their faces while avoiding their tears to fall. Francis is still on his hard breaths, but he never allowed loneliness to go over his face. His eyes brightened while smile continuously utters hope for his family, for his friends and his love ones. He died in the arms of his family, but never in his cancer life did he show that he fears death. For him it’s a new color of what he built as hope in the kaleidoscope world.

            Proud to be Pinoy!

every color every hue

Is represented by me and you

Take a slide in the slope

Take a look at the kaleidoscope

Spinnin’ round make a twirl

In this kaleidoscope world”…






© 2016 CHRIS ANDES


Author's Note

CHRIS ANDES
above is the video of his song "kaleidoscope world"
=]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've never heard of this guy, which is hardly surprising considering that I'm an American, but this song is pretty cool. It doesn't even sound like what a typical American would consider rap - it's got a lot more in common with reggae/ska music, and it also has a way, way more positive message than almost any rap song XD I'm really liking Kaleidoscope World.

Anyway, now about your writing. It sounds like eulogy almost, but hopefully he's going to be ok. Your command of English isn't perfect so there are some solecisms and idiosyncratic phrasing here and there, but I still more than got your point and I think this is a nice panegyric to honor the 'man from Manila'. Really poetic and nationalistic at the same time.

Also, now I know what the word 'pinoy' means, so that's a bonus too.

Edit: just found out that he died :/ RIP

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

9 Years Ago

thank you for the time and review :)
I was inspired by that song and also with this kind of masterpiece.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

I'm grateful you did
=]
I feel like I'm being tricked. Is this a book of poetry or what? And you can't tell me it isn't. I recognize the pacing and the lymrrical descriptions that poems usually have in this piece. Also, that's a lot of islands. I didn't know the Philippines had that many. Educational, interesting, but I'm not sure what you're going for here. Is this like a blogpost book? Each chapter something completely different? Beats me. Keep on writing.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

..thanks a lot =]
CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

..just read the description of the book so you can understand why every chapter's different
=]
Wonderful job

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

thanks for the review =]
Japanese Cherry

11 Years Ago

Your welcome
Great descriptions!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

thanks =]
Wow! Love it!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

thank you max
=]
:D keep it up

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

sure i will =]
This is awesome! I never knew that stuff! You're an amazing writer!!!!


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

i guess it depends on the reader =]
thanks
I like the history given in the chapter. Gave life to the people in the story. I like the ending. The story had some lessons to be learn in the words. Thank you for the excellent chapter.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


CHRIS ANDES

11 Years Ago

thank you sir =]

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

768 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2012
Last Updated on April 20, 2016


Author

CHRIS ANDES
CHRIS ANDES

[email protected]



About
as you decided to look at this profile you are actually opening a psychoelectromagnetic world of music. Any information that your intellectual curiousity desires to know just hit the mes.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..