A Final Goodbye

A Final Goodbye

A Story by tlhisler
"

Just a short story. A one shot

"
He made her a promise. A promise he intended to keep... Someone once said if you want to make God laugh show Him your plans. Steve didn't believe that God was laughing right now. It's a comfort to think that the Almighty was right there crying with him. Steve knelt by the smooth tombstone. Tears fell the moment his fingers traced the engraved name of his soulmate. He didn't know how to live anymore. There was no future for him. If he was completely honest with his self, he already knew there wasn't going to be. 
Steve was now standing on the edge of the ending, his heart broken like the rest his mind if not body. It was his fault that he failed. She needed him. He wasn't there. Everyday they they were apart he prayed that she would meet someone. He wanted Nicole to move on. He wanted her to let go of him everyday they were apart that when today came...
His heart skipped a beat and he gripped the granite stone harder to steady his body; so when this day came Nicole wouldn't leave this earth alone and scared. Their love was so true and intense that he knew she would never stop loving him.  Hopefully, she knew the same about him. She knew the price he had to pay was high but this... this was too high. In the thick of war there is God? Was God still with him now?
Their song started to play in the back of his mind.
He was gifted with a guitar, He was actually how they met. Anytime he played their song they would sing it in duet. He remembers when they sung it together for the first time. It was his favorite memory. Steve was sitting next to the river tuning his instrument. It was the perfect afternoon. The warm sun painted the sky in hues of orange and pink with silver passing clouds, there was a breeze rushing across the water's top as gently as a baby's breath.  A random song popped into his head and traveled down to his fingers. 
Then that's when she showed up. At first he didn't see her. It wasn't until he heard a sweet humming to Elvis's famous song that he looked over seeing her sitting on a large boulder facing the river. Steve just smiled and continued to play. 
"Shall I stay? Would it be a sin? If I can't help falling in love with you?" She matched each note in a perfect soft tone. "Like a river flows surely to the sea, darling so it goes."
"Somethings, are meant to be."
She grinned at him continuing, "take my hand, take my whole life too."
A college student walking by actually dropped a dollar into the guitar case. 
"Falling in love with you," she smiled.
He smiled back watching the afternoon breeze play with her brown hair. 
She was leaning back beaming with joy. The sun glowed against her yellow summer dress and kissed her skin. Steve couldn't keep his eyes off Nicole as they finished the song together. 
"Your real good," Nicole grinned sitting forward, "you go to school here"
Steve nodded.
A bubbly laugh left her, "you have a great voice too."
"Huh, yeah, huh you too," he said shifting his instrument as a way to look busy. She saw right through that. 
"Nicole Chance," she put forth her hand. 
"Um Steve, Steven or Steve," he shook her hand, "uh, Steven Shields."
She brushed the hair out of her eyes playfully, "I'll call you Steve. What year are you in?"
"Oh, this is my first year here."
"Me too, what are you studying? I'm here for a degree in Psychology and Biology." She grinned, "Major and Minor."
He smiled, "American History and Business."
"Awesome."
"Hey, Nicole come on!" 
"My girlfriends Liz and Mai. We are going to the Spirit Rally tonight. I'll see you there?"
Steve nodded. 
"I'll see you around."
They were glued to the hip after that. 
Steve wiped his eyes and pressed his hand against the face of her stone. They were inseparable and for a man, yeah it seemed sappy, but the faith and trust in him made him invincible. Then war happened. They were separated. He took a breath. Steve knew none of it was in his control but what if he had tried harder? He could have been with her through the chemo and and the sickness. 
The war veteran stood and whispered his final goodbye.

© 2016 tlhisler


Author's Note

tlhisler
Just a scene that popped into my mind

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very touching and well-written rendition of a difficult time in US history. I like the part where they sang spontaneously together. Working in their reactions with the words was well done. For me, it kept the story going instead of stopping in its tracks like songs often do in stories. Because of my personality, I often become embarrassed whenever I see people spontaneous singing in front of strangers, but it was a touching way for two souls to meet.

There were a few typographical errors, one correction is: "Steve NODDED." Smooth those out and you've got a good heart-wrencher.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your talent with all of us.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

tlhisler

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I will take a look. I agree with spontaneous singing. I wanted to step out of my comfort .. read more



Reviews

I was glued from the start. Very well put together and very powerful.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Very touching and well-written rendition of a difficult time in US history. I like the part where they sang spontaneously together. Working in their reactions with the words was well done. For me, it kept the story going instead of stopping in its tracks like songs often do in stories. Because of my personality, I often become embarrassed whenever I see people spontaneous singing in front of strangers, but it was a touching way for two souls to meet.

There were a few typographical errors, one correction is: "Steve NODDED." Smooth those out and you've got a good heart-wrencher.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your talent with all of us.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

tlhisler

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I will take a look. I agree with spontaneous singing. I wanted to step out of my comfort .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 19, 2016
Last Updated on March 20, 2016

Author

tlhisler
tlhisler

ME



About
I'm 26 years old. I love anything that has to do with creativity, writing and art. I love day dreaming and reading. I always wanted to write growing up I was greatly discourage to do so by family. It .. more..

Writing
Just Save One Just Save One

A Story by tlhisler


Why This? Why This?

A Poem by tlhisler