Just Save One

Just Save One

A Story by tlhisler
"

I love animals and I know the old argument about animals are not people. What I wrote is loosely based on a true story about three pups but this is how I can handle.

"
They barely made it pass week one. It was cold and dirty. Mama didn't have a choice. She dug a hole in the alley behind the trash bins. She was a first time mother but when her six little puppies arrived instincts kicked in. Two days in and two didn't make it. It broke her heart but Mama had to push the pain of loss aside to focus on remaining five. 
Mama nearly starved to stay with the little ones as much as she could. 
At three weeks their eyes were open. There was a soft look and a tender glitter in their eyes. Every inch of these babies radiated innocence. 
Mama's confidence began to grow. She left for food more and more often. Mama had even made a friend or two at the park. Her love for her babies kept her close by. Time flew by. The babies got bigger and even playful. They were a little over eight weeks old, learning to eat solids and even exploring. Mama never let them travel far. They were the lonely mother's only friends. They shared companionship. 
A sad day in July, three months after their birthday the only little girl couldn't sleep. What was beyond the alley? Slipping away while Mama and brothers slept, she splashed her way through the puddles in the broken side walk. Peeping her head around the corner, her eyes widen. It first it was fear she felt while seeing large automobiles racing down the street and fright she felt as large two legged creatures walked past. Then the heavenly warm scent of meat. Her stomach rumbled and it was her motivation to step away from home. 
Mama suffered the loss for days. She felt scared and wanted to find a new home. People were untrustworthy but she was stuck in the middle of the city. Three little pups needed her now but it was getting hard to care. It was selfish but how much pain should she feel throughout her life. 
The only black puppy tumbled into her playfully pulling at her tail. Three pups needed Mama. That was all she needed to realize. 
Eight weeks past and not a passing soul cared. They huddled together through rain and wind, ate what they could and slept in a ball. Eight weeks passed and Mama started to relax. They needed food. The boys were old enough to follow their mother, and together they hunted trash cans and recycling bins. There was one picnic table next a paint chipped house. The family inside didn't bother to pick up their left overs and that steak bone was a gift from a king. 
A slight warning growl told the boys to stay put. She stayed cautious and careful as she sneaked over to the food scraps. No one was looking and she got onto the table. Along with a bone there was some potato salad. She was so hungry so she paused. Taking a moment to have a snack she didn't hear the door open. Mama didn't hear the gun cocking. 
"Get!"
She looked up as fear chilled her blood. Her lover saw the end of a gun before. The three boys weren't seen yet. Using what she knew would be her last breath she leaped toward the boy barking out a warning before it ended it a yelp when the gun went off. 
Agonizing lightening struck the boys as their mama fell. They cried and hurried off through the brush. Being too young to think properly it became too hard to find home. 
Unfortunately bystanders and careless people didn't stop. They didn't care because they were cold. Life was about them not the loss strays. Those three pups lost their lives. They went together. Is that a reason to find some relief in that? They didn't understand. Why live on earth and end like that? 
At the hands of men...
We are protectors of creation but millions of animals die from starvation, brutality and carelessness. 
Now what this family in heaven didn't know why they couldn't find their sister. She stepped out of the alley to the bench where a young man eating lunch sat. His heart opened at the sight of her brown eyes and he gave her his lunch, then he gave her his home. She was one survivor because one person cared. 
People care but are scared. If one person push pass that then they can save one. 
Just save one. 

© 2016 tlhisler


Author's Note

tlhisler
I just wrote and published. Writing to me is therapy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on March 22, 2016
Last Updated on March 22, 2016

Author

tlhisler
tlhisler

ME



About
I'm 26 years old. I love anything that has to do with creativity, writing and art. I love day dreaming and reading. I always wanted to write growing up I was greatly discourage to do so by family. It .. more..

Writing
Why This? Why This?

A Poem by tlhisler