The Unexplainable

The Unexplainable

A Story by Toni-Lynn Benoit
"

There are many events that happen in life that you can't always explain. People come into your life and take it by storm causing you to wonder exactly why they came.

"

October 13, 2012 was the day she would never forget. She had woken up that day ready to conquer the day. She was a senior and she had everything she had ever wanted, well almost everything. Kale was a junior and the apple of Tanya’s eye. Everything about him was interesting to her. And what made him more interesting was that she couldn't have him, but she was determined to change that. She went to his basketball game hoping that she would get to talk to him. She thought that maybe sparks would fly and she would finally have her dream come true. And while that did happen, it wasn't with who she would have ever expected.

            

“Hey Michael, how is everything?” She walked up to her friend Michael and started talking to him. She had seen Kale and even walked by him, but Tanya was just so nervous. She couldn't gather up the courage to simply walk up to him and say “Hey Kale!”

            

“Hey Tanya, you talked to Kale yet?” Michael knew all about Kale. He knew just how “in love” Tanya was, but then again everybody knew, except Kale.

            

“No, I am just too nervous. I see him and my brain turns to mush.” Tanya was unbelievably frustrated. She had always had it easy when it came to talking to guys and everyone knew that, but with Kale, she could barely get a sentence out.

            

“Just go up to him and talk to him. You can do it!” Michael pushed her towards Kale. He had just finished talking to some other guys on the team and was going to get a drink of water.

            

“Okay, but if I embarrass myself I am blaming you.” She walked up to Kale and tried to get the words to leave her lips, but the moment she saw him look at her with his beautiful brown eyes her mouth went dry.

            

“Hey Tanya, how are you?” Kale uttered the words that she had been dying to hear. Her face was now pink as could be but she could finally feel courage.

            

“Hey Kale, I am doing well. How are you?” She wasn't sure what to say after that.

            

“I am good. I've just playing basketball and stuff.” And then the conversation died. Just like that, all of Tanya’s hopes and dreams went out the window.

            

“Well, that’s great. Good luck on your game.” She smiled at him and walked away. She went to go and find Michael and when she did, she saw that he was now accompanied by another guy named Andrew. She had known about Andrew for a while, but she had never really talked to him before.

            

Andrew was a sophomore and he was a pretty fun guy, or at least that was what she had heard. And she was about to find out just how fun he really was.

            

“Hey Tanya, how did it go with Kale?” Michael looked at her with an expectant look. Andrew just looked confused.

           

“Wait, what? You like Kale?” Andrew was in shock and so was Tanya. Why did Michael say that in front of Andrew?

            

“Well Michael, it wasn't anything like I had hoped it would be. The conversation died in like 5 seconds, but whatever, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.” Andrew and Michael looked at her and tried to find the words to say.

            

“Well Tanya don’t worry you will find someone else,” said Michael. Then Andrew decided he wanted to change the subject.

            

“So Tanya, why did you come to our basketball game? You came because I am your number one on the team right?” Andrew smiled at Tanya and actually made her laugh.

            

“Sure Andrew, you're my number one.” Tanya lightly pushed his shoulder. Andrew had a certain charm that Tanya hadn’t experienced in a while. They continued talking the whole night and Tanya really enjoyed it. She hadn't talked to a guy like that in a long time, but she figured that after that night, they would never talk again.

            

Tanya woke up the next morning and got ready for school. She turned on her phone as she went down stairs. Then she heard it ring and she checked her messages. She had a text from Andrew. That was something she never would have expected.

            

“Hey Tanya, am I still your number one?” She read that message and she instantly smiled. She thought she would never talk to him again and he texted her first. From that point on they talked all day every day. Whenever she needed someone to talk to, she would turn to Andrew. And when everyone else had deserted her, he stood by her and was her support through everything. So it was inevitable that she would fall for Andrew. He was smart, sweet, and very handsome. When she finally decided to figure out who he liked, she was disappointed to hear that he liked one of her friends, but she moved on and decided that it was for the best.

            

After a play they were in at their school, all of the cast and crew went out to have dinner at this restaurant. Initially neither of them was going to go, but as the evening went on and the interactions became more and more flirtatious, they both had decided that it would be fun. 

            

Tanya convinced Andrew to ride with her and her friends to the restaurant. She sat next to him and put her head on his shoulder. She could feel his arm tense up at the gesture, but then he relaxed. Andrew sighed once Tanya got comfortable. She couldn't tell if he had wanted her to rest her head there or if it was uncomfortable, but she didn't hear him protest so she stayed there. They reached the restaurant and he helped her out of the car. Once inside they went they hung out with friends and just had a great time.

            

As the year was coming to a close, they started to not see each other as often. But Andrew and Tanya still talked all the time. Tanya even invited him to her choir concert and surprisingly he went. That made her so happy that he would take time out of his schedule and come and support her in something she loved doing.

            

Eventually Tanya told Andrew that she used to like him. Nothing happened and they just went on as normal, until one night when they were talking.

            

“Hey Andrew, sorry you didn't get to tell me what you needed to at the mall. I was really busy with the fundraiser. So what did you need to tell me?” Tanya had to wait a good minute until he replied to her text.

            

“Oh, it’s okay, don't worry about it. It wasn't that important anyways.” But Tanya was curious what he wanted to tell her.

           

C'mon Andrew, tell me! I don't care if it is important or not.” He finally caved and told her the truth.

            

“Well, I was just going to tell you that I realized that I had a crush on you during drama.” Those words shook her up. She had never really had someone tell her that they liked her. And to hear it from Andrew, it made her heart skip a beat.

            

“You don't think that’s important?” She laughed on her end of the conversation.

           

“I guess it is.” After that day, things between them became different. Every time they saw each other they would stop and say hello. They took every opportunity to hang out at school. She would go out of her way to make special treats for him. To Tanya, Andrew was her everything. And knowing that Andrew felt something towards Tanya made her the happiest girl in the world. 


School was getting out for Christmas break and Tanya and Andrew were so bummed that they wouldn't be able to see each other, but then Tanya came up with an idea. “Hey Andrew, let’s go and watch a movie or something. Then we don’t have to go the whole break without seeing each other.” Andrew liked that idea. So they planned the hang out and anxiously waited for it to arrive.


The day was finally here. They hadn’t seen each other since school got out and Tanya could not be happier to see him. She missed his handsome face and his kind eyes. She missed everything about him. This whole relationship was so amazing that she would have been happy dying knowing that Andrew cared about her.


They got to the movie, and the moment they saw each other, their faces just lit up. She was happy and so was he. They felt so comfortable with each other that nothing could tear them apart. During the movie, they sat next to each other and cuddled. Tanya couldn't feel any safer than she did in his arms. Andrew was her knight in shining armor. Andrew looked over at Tanya knowing what was going on through her mind because he was thinking the same thing. He touched her face and placed his hand around her cheek lovingly. Tanya loved the feeling of his warm hand pressed against her face. They looked into each other’s eyes and it was as if they both knew that the time was right. He leaned forward and kissed her gently on the lips. Almost instantaneously she felt sparks fly between them. She had just experienced her first kiss and it was with her best friend. They pulled away and looked into each other’s eyes.


“Wow that was amazing!” Tanya’s smile would not leave her face. She was the happiest girl on the planet and it was all because of one guy, Andrew. 


The rest of the evening, they sat next to each other and watched the movie. 

            

“Hey Andrew, thanks for the amazing night. And for the best first kiss I could have ever had. You really made it special.” She lay on her bed feeling her lips. They still felt tingly and wished to have his lips on hers. Andrew was her first real boyfriend and she couldn't have picked a better one.

            

“Thank you! I had an amazing time.” They both said good night and went to bed. Tanya dreamt about that kiss the whole night. And when she woke up, her lips still felt the feeling a first kiss often brings.

            

Two days later however, their relationship would come pouring down. Tanya awoke to a text from Andrew saying that he had talked to his ex, Lisa, last night. He said that she had told him that she still had feelings for him. And then Andrew realized that he still had feelings for her. Tanya’s heart dropped at this. Here was her boyfriend who she had just kissed the other day, and now he was saying that he still had feelings for his ex. It crushed her in so many ways that if it had physically broken her heart you wouldn't be able to tell what part went where, but she acted as if it didn't faze her.

            

“Okay, then. We said we would still stay friends and I plan to keep my promise," but deep down Tanya was heart-broken. She felt like everything that Andrew had ever said to her was a lie. “Did he ever really like me? Was I just a person he used so he could feel wanted?” All of these questions ran through Tanya’s mind all day. Then when she went to sleep that night, she drifted into a deep sleep and had a dream that she would never forget.

            

She was still with Andrew. They had gone back to school and were still a strong and loving couple. He walked up to her after band one morning and offered to walk her to class. Tanya was happy to walk with her boyfriend. She wanted everyone to know that Andrew was hers. She felt like the most beautiful girl in the world with him by her side. When they had reached the locker room, he stopped and pulled out a box.

            

“I know we haven't been going out for very long but there is just something about you. I haven't felt like myself in a very long time. I have always tried to be someone else so that they will like me, but you liked me with all of my weird quirks and my baggage. You knew that I still had some sort of feelings for my ex but yet you chose to be with me regardless. Why is that?” He held her hand and placed it on his lips.

            

“Andrew, I knew you still had feelings for her, but I figured that I could help you form new feelings. You are so special to me Andrew. I was manipulative and promiscuous until I met you. You made me want to be a better version of myself. And you make me feel so special. When I am with you, I feel like the most beautiful girl in the world. When you call me 'baby' my heart just melts. I don’t know what the future holds for us but I want to see it through all the way until the very end.” They looked around the hallway to make sure no one was there and then he pulled her into a deep and tender kiss.

           

“I want you to have this. I want you to have something to remember me by even when I’m not with you.” He gave her the box that he had been holding and told her to open it. Once she had unwrapped it she looked into the box and say the most beautiful snowflake necklace. “To remind you that all I wanted for Christmas was you. And that was exactly what I got.” He put it around Tanya’s neck and placed it right in the middle. “It’s beautiful, just like you.”

          

  Tanya woke from her slumber and a tear fell down her cheek. She had just had the most beautiful dream that she could have ever had. This was how she wished things had been, but she knew they would never be that way.

            

Nobody could explain how their relationship began. Not even Tanya and Andrew could, but whatever the cause was, once upon a time they were happy. They felt like with each other they could feel happy. And their friendship would take a lot of hits due to what happened between them, but Tanya never forgot the dream she had that night. She held on to that like a kid does with candy. She loved him for all he was and all he was yet to become. Nothing would ever change that, but sometimes things that are unexplainable are better left unexplained. 

© 2014 Toni-Lynn Benoit


Author's Note

Toni-Lynn Benoit
So this story has a lot of personal ties to it and it was a joy to right. i hope you all enjoy it and please feel free to leave reviews of what you think i can do better or if you thought it was good :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

always amazes me how ending a relationship with a text message is socially acceptable - if it meant that much wouldn't it deserve a face to face? Has no bearing on the story - you are simply going with what is normal these days - but every time i see this happen it makes me stop and think - how casual we have become with hearts of others.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on May 13, 2014
Tags: The Unexplainable, short story, love, hurt, regret, first love

Author

Toni-Lynn Benoit
Toni-Lynn Benoit

Dededo, Guam



About
I am 19 and I live on Guam. I love to dance, sing, act, and write stories! more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Toni-Lynn Benoit