The Sight

The Sight

A Story by Kris Tate

    A strangled scream, a short breath.  She sits up in bed, wondering if it will ever end.  Since she was a little girl she would have these true dreams and know that she was different, a throwback to a different time, a different place.  They say knowledge is power, but it is really if you don’t want the knowledge?  She sits up in the king size bed and looks at the clock, 3:30 am I ever going to get any rest?  Fingers rub gritty eyes and she knows she will get no more sleep tonight.

    She tries to piece together the dream, but she knows it is useless the meaning will come in time.  Her grandmother called it a gift, she knows it as a curse.  All her life anytime she let anyone know about her dreams they either tried to have her committed or wanted lotto numbers.  She wishes she could give this burden to someone, anyone else.  Freak, witch, evil, and crazy are her labels in life, her crosses to bear.

    Pulling herself out of bed, she stumbles to the kitchen.  Coffee that’s what I need.  Sharp bitter aroma fills the air as she taps her fingers on the cold grey granite, worrying of what is coming.  All she can sense from her dream is evil and darkness.  She worries about her children.

    Filling the coffee cup, she plans her day.  A day full of the monotony of modern life.  A day of carpools, internet, soccer and ballet practice, and the little cubical at the office.  She waits to wake the children, to start her day, to forget she has the sight.

© 2008 Kris Tate


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good. It captures the reader within the first few lines. I think this is a unique short story! I wished it was a little longer! Great write!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes I imagine live to be very difficult with such an ability.

This is a good write for you get the reader's attention from the start.
Well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write, interesting subject, wonderful imagery I could just pciture her sat drinking coffee at 3-30am.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Not only is this a great story, psychics are terribly interesting. I love how her dream and her life are so different. I've got to say, I'm wondering where you get your ideas.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 25, 2008
Last Updated on April 27, 2008

Author

Kris Tate
Kris Tate

Humble, TX



About
I have been writing my whole life, or so it seems. Lately I have been editing more than writing, but as my granny always said, "Life is never the same from day to day, or even minute to minute." I a.. more..

Writing
Why Why

A Poem by Kris Tate


Space Space

A Poem by Kris Tate


Ninja Ninja

A Poem by Kris Tate



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tea Party Tea Party

A Poem by Sarah