Lucy Sky-Diamond

Lucy Sky-Diamond

A Story by transentience
"

My attempt at a non-linear, post-apocalyptic scifi/fantasy about a socially awkward but unaware-of-it alchemist who attempts to change the world either for themself or for the betterment of humanity

"

My ears rang in a pitch higher than I was as explosions consumed the air of a falling sky. The sight of the Earth cast an aberrant absolution upon my eyes. Wood chips from the impact flung like splinters from the choppy axes of holy lumberjacks. I wrapped my legs around the scouting post to keep my body aligned with the narrowing ship. I wanted the vast beauty hurling towards my face to be the last vision I would experience. But in this moment I realized that there was something more important than ascertaining the perfect view before the ground turned me into smithereens--I needed a smoke. My last cigarette met my fingers with an anticipation more potent than the strongest of stimulants. Even in my lackadaisical demeanor, I found it odd that I would notice the slight discoloration of the cigarette upon this most flamboyant fate. But it didn’t matter at this point. I struggled towards the fiery impact, reaching out my firmer hand to catch the tip of my cigarette on fire. As I brought it to my bloody, crackled lips and inhaled, a sensation of memories flashed before me like divine intervention.

 

"Jumpin'-f****n'-Jesus-fish!" I blasphemed, whilst reeling from the unanticipated psychoactive drag. "What the hell did I put in this thing?"

 

Through the passing clouds images of my life vividly manifested before me; though, I could not realize if it was all a hallucination, or if I was already dead and merely remembering myself from an afterlife.

 

The sky transposed to my home of when I was eighteen. I was a boy then. The region I lived in mimicked the status quo of the peasant. Steam-powered chariots carried the upper-class to their alcohol establishments where they would consume mead from their brass mugs. The elites would dictate propaganda from their militarized monopolies; pneumatic speakers burned the ears of the citizens with a perpetual reminder: ‘The Arm Keeps You Safe.’ My home was camouflaged with ivy vines waving down the outside walls like elemental green hair on a reclusive mermaid. I was located outside the peripheries of The Arm in an attempt to escape their malicious grasp. I spent most of my days in my lab, methodically mixing solutions in the hope of perfecting my craft in alchemy. I yearned to provide my skills upon the ship I worked on, to become a part of the crew. But it was useless. I wasn’t a boy. To them, I was that detestable anomaly who swept the decks and wallowed my way through their refuse. My effeminate characteristics begged for humiliation--my asymmetric hair of long, hazel waves that was buzzed along one side, the lacy decorations attached to the ends of my capris, my gentle face and thin brows--I was a contradiction between gender and appearance. But I never cared for acceptance. I just wanted to be who I was, and this was the only life that I knew.

 

"Lucy!" Elias Bastable called me as he came bursting into the upper-level library--my name was Luke--What are these papers scattered everywhere? Why aren’t you out cleaning the deck?"

 

"Uhh, Elias, I already scrubbed the deck as thoroughly as possible this morning. Besides, I was thinking that maybe you should let me go early today so I can do some research. I recently stumbled upon a rumor…no, it's more like a legend! Theories of a 'Magnum Opus' have been catching wind amongst prominent alchemists. It is the ultimate alchemical process attained only through harnessing the power of the sacred 'Philosopher’s Stone'. If performed correctly, the secrets of immorality could be at your disposal. But thus far, no equation has even come close to deciphering its complexity. I was thinking, maybe, someday I will be able to uncover its mysteries."

 

Elias burst into a thunderous roar of laughter. His postured legs kicked so hard that he nearly fell into a puddle of his own ticklish tears.

 

"Aha! You sure are a queer lad. Tell me, why would you dress the part of a woman when your expectance is to be treated as an independent researcher? What a useless hobby to settle with anyway, you’d be better off as a servant to The Arm!"

 

I bookmarked my research and withdrew from my chair. Letting out a disheartened sigh, I turned my head to face Elias.

 

"I suppose you’re right."

 

"Splendid. Now polish up that deck before dusk hits. I want to be walking on sky-diamonds in tonight’s excursion."


I had no other choice. Elias provided my only source of income, and it was too risky to trust anyone else in the guerrilla trade--pirates ruled the operations of workforce unions and preyed especially on helpless youth. My only other option would be to submit my body to The Arm. So with architectural hands, I turned the prestine ship into a vessel of mirrors; the likes of which could sail the blackest of nights to reveal the darkest of souls.


Through a silk-screened door in my home, receded a hall leading to a make-shift laboratory. Adorning the walls were various skeletal collections in the wavering glow of dimly-lit candles. With mortar and pestle, I crushed the skull of a raven into soil until I had a delicate powder. The next step was to add the solution to an alembic to distill the essence of putrefaction. The tarry, black substance that emerged smelt of a tart licorice. I extracted the tar with a few swirls of a needle and applied it to a preheated waterpipe; inhaling cautiously. Upon exhalation, I felt the souls of the dead resurrect within my bloodstream. All anxieties and fears instantly vanished as I embraced the material realm in this altered state of mind. I felt more accepted in my isolation than I had ever felt from any experience of human interaction.

© 2017 transentience


Author's Note

transentience
Take note.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I just Loved reading it! : )

Posted 7 Years Ago


goddamn i quit smoking 2 days ago now im craving one like a mother f****r goddamn i hate you for this
but thats the result of good writing!
haha yeah scrip scrip scribles

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is awesome! Your descriptive writing style really takes you into the lives of the characters - will there be more to this? It's very good :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


I like where this is going. It is gripping and intense, with intriguing characters. I like the little touches of personality you put in. Good job...

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

554 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 2, 2015
Last Updated on April 6, 2017
Tags: fantasy, sci fi, epic, dystopian future, post apocalyptic, steampunk, drugs, philosophy, alchemy, gender, oppression

Author

transentience
transentience

Buena Park, CA



About
29. Writer, dreamer, musician, thinker, disabstractionist An empath who fights for what they believe in My mind is a blessing and a curse, but music keeps me balanced I tend to psychoanalyze .. more..

Writing