Red

Red

A Poem by Ricky Campbell
"

In between school, work, and a hateful home life it really is a tough time to get a break.

"
Red red red the color of anger
Walk in my school I am surrounded by red
Grumpy teachers, impatient students, reports due left and right
Red red red....
I got a job maybe this can be an escape
Out of the red and into something more blue
But how dumb was I, too think it was that easy
Like something out of a fairy tale
Work is more red than school
“Do this, do that! Why are you late! Point, point point!”
Coworkers mad that I do my job, bosses mad that I don't do it well enough
Temperatures to where my skin is blue, but everything else... Red
Sick of this all, I go home hoping for a break
And I do, one week red and one week blue
The blue is great, and well needed 
But I go to the red, its all just red
EVen my bed is red there is no where to run
“You want to be a lawyer? You’re not good enough”
“You want to do theatre? Are you gay?”
Well i'll tell you what I have everything to prove and nothing to lose
Ill be a top of my throne, you can shine my shoes
If im not good enough, I cant wait to prove you wrong
Just don't expect anything from me once I'm up top
Looking down on you all

© 2015 Ricky Campbell


Author's Note

Ricky Campbell
What did I do well, and what needs improvement?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey Ricky, loved this poem. I'm going to illistrate the last 3 verses so I can hang them up somewhere! I totally empathize with what you're saying in this poem. I go to a private school where our teachers expect so much of us that it gives me a headache. Sometimes all you want to do is slam a door in their faces!

The only suggestion I have is reread it for comma use. I'm no expert but I think a couple lines (like "...I got a job, maybe this...") need a pause. My english teacher read my poem before I posted it. He told me to read t outloud and put a comma or period anywhere I paused.

BTW i tried to give you a 92.738 but they wouldn't let me put decimals in.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ricky Campbell

9 Years Ago

Thank you! I never really thought of that, I will get to that!



Reviews

This is indeed a good set of color choices, well written I must say. All are lines are so true and is felt by everybody in most of their lifetime. I did feel that these two lines felt incomplete to me -
"Ill be a top of my throne, you can shine my shoes
If im not good enough, I cant wait to prove you wrong". You could have added a few more lines to bring out more optimism and rage. But otherwise, it's brilliantly written. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


You've descripted your frustrations out of your pain very well.
But indeed that's how the life goes my friend.

armin. ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


I happen to like red. Red is fire, and fire is as essential as it is untamed. A beautiful and raw picture here. Great work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I read this, then I sang this like a rap song. Nice work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is a very good piece... I really like the way you bring into the poems the thoughts of your conscious and say you have everything to prove and nothing to lose. Life is about proving people wrong and constantly working on making you a better version of you. Keep working!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ricky, I'm no expert, in fact, other than high school and college, I've read little poetry bec I generally don't like it. Having said that,I do like this poem. You have done a fine job of describing the pressures a young person (and others) experience. Just a thought--what if you delete the phrase "the color of anger"? The reader already knows that. I almost felt that you started another poem with "so you want to be a lawyer?" I hope you realize your ambitions and whatever you do, I'm sure you'll be very successful. As I think about it, I'd love to see you write a separate poem with those two questions juxtaposed--do you want to be a lawyer or be in theater. And of course, the implication that being gay is not ok. That surely is a poem waiting to be written. So glad you're writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


:D Very niceeee
Very well put together, i can relate to this poem in so many ways :-)

Anyways that's how life is....lots of Red and a bit of Blue, just gotta have a bit of patience and hope for the best.

Keep up the writing, All the best with your work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nice way to handle outburst, Loved it.

Perhaps u used an extra "o" at line no.7 check it out :)

Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


this is how the world is,and more red than ever

Posted 9 Years Ago


I like this poem a lot. It really opens up the theme of stress and anger, sort of like the same thing that I had once. It's really inspirational.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1149 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 5, 2015
Last Updated on March 5, 2015
Tags: mad, angry, emotions, work, school

Author

Ricky Campbell
Ricky Campbell

Portage, MI



About
I am a 16 year old teen from a calm, quiet city. I have aspirations of publishing a book of poetry before I graduate high school, and would appreciate any feed back and tips! Also, if you would like m.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Babylon Babylon

A Poem by Ana B.