Religion

Religion

A Poem by Ricky Campbell

Who knew grown men could act like such children

That we would fight over a topic so absurd

Religion

Why do they bicker and fight if they're trying to find peace?

Very contradicting to say the least

There are countless religions in our world today

And what they all aim for is very easy to say

To please God and to do no wrong

All with similar key points but differing details

Some are the total opposites

They stand out and believe in what they want

They don't care what others are thinking of them

They want to find peace

That is the type of religion I admire

Not the kind who will nuke each other over something so minor

Violence is petty, brutal, and unnecessary

Seems difficult for most to understand

We can coexist in peace

By not stepping on or taking another mans land

If there is a dispute, there is no need to take it to the battlefield

Talk it through with one another, say how you really feel

All of our problems are so avoidable

People keep on overlooking this

We need to make a change to our world

And we can start like this


© 2015 Ricky Campbell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"once a man and twice a child and everything is for a while.........." men fighting over the faith since the beginning of the civilize world. "my god told me to do this", "my god told me to stop you", "my god told me to kill you", and on and on it goes.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

a call to reformation

there's alot of truth to this




-Dream

Posted 9 Years Ago


I love the idea in this poem! Stunning, the greatest thing one can do is to crave peace, yet to always be ready for war....

Posted 9 Years Ago


Unfortunately men fight for their beliefs and religion is the greater cause of war as we witness today. A great write

Posted 9 Years Ago


A very clever piece of work. You said something so sensible that I applaud you for that. All round the globe people are fighting for such stupid things not even knowing what they themselves actually believe.
This is something we all need to think about and ask ourselves if its correct? do we actually need the blood bath going on around? An appreciable work :)


Posted 9 Years Ago


Men act worse than children sometimes and you are so right that religion is a hot topic upon whose shoulders have died millions, and for what? While there are differences between religions, all 4,200 of them that currently exist in the world today, the differences can be found even within one single religion. Take Christianity, for instance, which has some 41,000 denominations in its fold. 41,000 belief systems all tout to offer the true way to God. 41,000 denominations have stripped away different pieces of different versions of the bible (the man's version, the woman's version, the King James version, the New International Version, my version, your version) to make their denominations unique. Catholics want you to take sacraments and confess to a priest; Salvationists want you to kneel at the altar and want you to testify in front of the congregation; the Pentecostals want you to absorb the holy spirit and speak in tongues; the Apostolic Faith want you to wash your feet and live without tv (not a bad idea on that one) while making their women wear hair in a bun and men to wear long legged pants all year round (even in the hot days of summer). I could go on but you get the picture. We fight and bicker within our own denominations and if we don't like the minister we get rid of him (don't worry if it was a calling from God) because he (or she) has to do it our way. But, unfortunately, religion is often created by men who are far from infallible. Because these men interpret spiritual texts differently we end up with bastardized versions of true religion. Religions should offer and teach the importance of faith, hope, love, compassion, and kindness. Yes, they may all put it in their mission statements on their Facebook walls; and individual churches, synagogues, temples, and other places of worship may carry out such messages, but overall, religion does only divide us.

I am sorry for taking up so much space on your poem's wall. I applaud your sharing of your observations and am impressed by your willingness to share your thoughts. Well done sir!

Posted 9 Years Ago


according to the bible we`re supposed to take the gospel all over the world
and some get to involved and try's to cram things down the throat of people
some religious fanatics wants to kill all Christians and jews and people that wont follow
I believe we all should worship what god you serve and leave me the hell alone with mine
if god tells me to witness to you I will and I believe that's the way it should be
but I will assure you we are living in the last days,and I believe the rapture will occur by 2017

Posted 9 Years Ago


any man made "idea" is pretty much an excuse for creating lines in which to kill each other. Religion, politics, land borders, money... man made ideas, all stupid, all things people fight and die over. violence is very much necessary, just not at the hand of man made perceptions of differences. kill a cow to eat, defend your village from wolf to save the women and children, but throw in the man made BS... property, material "wealth", governing bodies(successful criminals)... religions... bad perceptions for man to fight man over, distracts us from what really counts... eat, sleep, frolic, procreate, exist, survive. we cant go back, we cant defend from the monoliths of man made ideas and systems, there will always be greed, and there will always be someone who will do whatever it takes to be as lazy as possible. i want to live in the woods, but there will always be government forcing me "off their property" and expecting money. i lie, the only way to go back is to thin out our population to the point where we have to work with mother nature to survive, instead of raping her. dont worry, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. we're in for a kicker, and shes been warning us for a long time. we should never have given the ideas of man more prominence than the realm in which we exist... what a stupid damned species we are....

Ricky, this is a very good piece! a very good conversation starter :) obviously i've revealed my bleak outlook on the fate of our race, my only "god" is our environment... and sadly, just like every religion, you dont play by gods rules, you get to burn in hell... global warming... the planet Venus is a touch of foreshadow, and pretty soon, my friend, we will burn too.

I CANT HELP IT !! sorry i really have trouble staying off my ramblings about how doomed we are when it comes to topics like this lol please take that as a compliment to your work :D i agree with what you think here and it's a very good, thought provoking piece

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Now this is something I can whole-heartedly say amen too!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I do agree grown men always fight over who has the better imaginary friend. Or, in most cases, who's religion is more "right". Despite having a religious family, I deconverted to Atheism. Much more simple and you don't have to worry about some religious nut screaming his head off. But I respect all religions; just don't shove them down my throat. This was a good poem, pointing out the flaws religion can sometimes, if not often, cause within humanity. Well-written, thought-provoking, and just plain good.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Glad to know there are other poeple out there who feels this way..... One tip... Keep these thoughts with you throughout your life.... Poeple are all born with the same thoughts... (notice how kids don't care about these things) but these same kids when grow up have totally diffrent veiws... Its because adults stuff there minds with nonsense and kill there inocence.... I hate it when parents do that....
Thanx for sharing... It speakes the truth and is very thoughtfull

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1494 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 6 Libraries
Added on March 5, 2015
Last Updated on March 5, 2015
Tags: religion, childish, wars, unnecesary

Author

Ricky Campbell
Ricky Campbell

Portage, MI



About
I am a 16 year old teen from a calm, quiet city. I have aspirations of publishing a book of poetry before I graduate high school, and would appreciate any feed back and tips! Also, if you would like m.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Babylon Babylon

A Poem by Ana B.