Night Time

Night Time

A Story by ExquisiteEyes

When the last of the guests left, I went back into the hall and picked up the dishes and wine glasses that still lay on the mahogany table. They needed to be washed as soon as possible. I had another bunch of guests coming for much the very next day. I cleaned up the place, humming to myself all the while. It was a peaceful night with an eerie silence wrapping up the entire neighbourhood. This was the way I liked my life to be. I was moving away after two days. A new place- a new start. Hence, all these farewell dinners and lunches.
I sat on the porch with a glass of wine in my hand. The white moonlight gave a ghoulish view to the entire scenery. The red colour of the wine had turned into a deeper shade-almost black- the colour of a blood clot. Suddenly, a noise startled me. I looked back and saw pieces of glass lying on the floor. A voice called out,"Sorry,I'll clean it up." That voice...I was hearing it after such a long time. It surprised me immensely. A wave of giddiness washed over me. Then I saw him coming out of the house and sitting in front of me. "Sorry, I wanted to surprise you but looks like I ain't good at these type of stealthy jobs," he said looking at the place where he had made a mess a few minutes ago.
"Nah, it's okay", I replied.
I didn't want to waste any time by getting upset. I had not expected to see him again. I leaned forward and touched his face to see if it was really him. He put his hand over mine and gazed into my eyes. The darkness of the night made his eyes look unfathomably deep.
I whispered,"Where were you?"
"A bit busy. I had to finish up some business."
"Please don't go away like that again," I requested, trying to stop the tears from cascading down my cheeks.
"I won't, I promise", he replied pulling me closer and entwining his fingers into mine. At the same time he stroked my hair with the other hand.
I could hold myself back no longer and embraced him tightly and lay my head on his chest. I seemed to feel as if all my problems had disappeared for a while.
That night we sat on he porch and talked for a long time- just like old times. I was feeling light after such a long time. Finally I lay back on the chair and just smiled at him. He didn't not smile back immediately, instead the ghost of a smile played on his lips and the corners of his mouth tugged up forming a smile- the one that I loved so dearly.
He said,"Come on, it's quite late. You need to sleep now", and carried me bridal style to the bedroom. We curled up together with his hand wrapped around my waist. I fell asleep quickly knowing that everything was alright.
The next morning, I opened my eyes to see the sunlight streaming in through the windows and forming patterns on dark and light circles and rings that seemed to dance around because of the curtain's continuous movement. The scenes from the previous night flashed in front of my eyes and I turned around with a smile on my lips.
But beside me the bed was empty. It wasn't warm like it should have been. Instead, only a photograph lay beside me on the pillow in which the two of us stood smiling at the camera.

© 2015 ExquisiteEyes


Author's Note

ExquisiteEyes
All reviews are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh wow! I was absolutely right in telling that you are talented... The way you bring out the mystery of love and sorrow just in the setting of a single night, it made my heart feel the beauty and pain both at once.........Loved it..... Well done.....You deserve THUMBS UP!!!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much



Reviews

A touching story with a poignant ending...

Posted 8 Years Ago


This was beautiful, my friend! Keep up the good work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
Amazing work. Beautiful story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thanks :).
annalysiar

8 Years Ago

You're welcome😉 thanks for sharing 😃
Wow. A real, romantic story, with what seems to me, a tragic ending... Could it be, that he just broke his promise, and left. Or is he going to return shortly? But then why the photo?? Or was it just her mind, missing him so much, creating a few scenes, with all efforts put into believing, it was real? Who knows. . I'd like a sequel to this one, because the story itself is amazing, but the end leaves us hanging, which can be good, or bad depending on who you ask.

Anyway, full rating :D

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thanks :) I will try to write a sequel. I left the ending open to the interpretation of the reader.. read more
Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

you're welcome :)
Beautifully told EE. But the twist was given away too early. A little tweaking would sort that though. A well told, sad story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you :) I will keep what you said in mind try to improve it next time.
how should i express my emotion after reading this??
its poetic fiction i would say..n just so beautiful. the word just wont cover it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

thank you. I am glad that you liked it
Oh wow! I was absolutely right in telling that you are talented... The way you bring out the mystery of love and sorrow just in the setting of a single night, it made my heart feel the beauty and pain both at once.........Loved it..... Well done.....You deserve THUMBS UP!!!!!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

463 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 10, 2015
Last Updated on November 10, 2015

Author

ExquisiteEyes
ExquisiteEyes

West Bengal, India



About
Hi! I am a 16 year old girl. I love to write and share it with others.Its just been about a year and a half that I have started writing. It was my friend who told me that I write well and should try t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Alive Alive

A Story by ExquisiteEyes