Alive

Alive

A Story by ExquisiteEyes
"

A tribute to the victims of domestic violence

"
Meg once again lifted her pen from the paper and shifted it to a position about 3cm above and put a few sharp strokes on the paper to make the 't' more prominent. Like quite a few other letters, it had also got smudged due to the tear drops that fell as if in a rhythm. Each drop of tear fell on the paper and stayed on it like a dew drop on a blade of grass before being absorbed by the paper.
She looked up at the ceiling for a while, trying to recall if there was something that was yet to be written.Life had never been a bed of roses for her. Each wound on her body stung as if she were making her way through a hedge of thorns. The older ones hurt lesser than the ones he had inflicted just a few hours ago. Worst were the scars that her husband had left on her once innocent heart. She had been broken beyond repair. Nothing could save her now. She felt as if she was worthless and her mind was devoid of any reason to live. After months of staying strong, she had finally abandoned all hope of escaping this nightmare.
Meg, however, was determined about one particular thing- she would never let that devil of a man ruin someone else's life. She was not going to allow that to happen.
Without her make-up, one could barely make out her pretty features. Her dull mane had lost all its former luster; innumerous bruises on her pale body resembled splotches made by a child on an empty canvass. To the less observant eye, the marks under her eyes would resemble dark circles. Meg was physically and mentally abused every single moment that her husband was alone with her.
She had made all arrangements so that her body would be found by the police first, and not her husband. Her last letter would provide sufficient proof to make the police detain her monstrous husband forever; in fact she hated calling him her husband.
After signing off her letter, Meg took out the bottle of pills from her bag. She held it so tightly in her hand that all the blood- or whatever was left of it- drained from the edges of their fingers. Quickly, she swallowed the pills and lay on the floor hoping to get one last peaceful sleep. They say your life flashes before your eyes as the last few moments of your life ebb away. Meg felt as though she was watching a recapitulation of her life. She was transported to the former days when there was ample sunshine in her life. Yes, they used to quarrel like every other couple but they were happy. The change had come in her husband swiftly. At first he would scold her unnecessarily. Things became physical soon enough. Slaps and punches were as common as sand in the desert. Powerful kicks were occasional occurrences. Initially, Meg had tried to defend herself but soon she realized the futility of her efforts. Her efforts would aggravate the situation.
Slowly the images began to fade and darkness grappled her from all sides.

"Ma'am, ma'am....we are the paramedics", a voice came floating to her ears. Too tired to even open her eyes, Meg continued to listen with her eyes closed. She hated being alive. The voice continued,"We were able to save you in the nick of time. I know that you are conscious and that you are listening".
Meg groaned inwardly and prayed so that she would be left alone.
"We just have a request for you- will you please join our Anti Domestic Violence Team?"
A drop of tear silently slipped past her tightly shut eyelids. And for once, Meg was grateful and happy to be alive.

© 2016 ExquisiteEyes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this a lot but is it realistic feel r paramedics to ask her to join this team or would a therapist ask later? Just a thought, nicely written!!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Haha...good point. I just couldn't think of an ending so I ending up writing this.
Zyle Christian William Cook

8 Years Ago

I love where you are steering this idea!
Small critique: you have "bed of roses" twice in the introduction.
this was gripping and powerful, great detail. I love the emotion pouring from this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thanks for pointing it out...a small typing error.
I am glad you liked it.
annalysiar

8 Years Ago

Lol you're welcome. I didn't just like it. I loved this. Its raw. Passionate in its own way. Amazing.. read more
This was very good! Yes, I have experienced and seen many acts of violence. It needs to stop for sure.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow. Nice work for sure. :)
Nice work, on a hard issue.
Well, as writers, our first weapon in the arsenal against such things, is writing about it.
Been there, and wished that I wont wake up anymore. Ran away from "home" a few times.

It's more bearable now, family stopped with actually abusing, they moved to ignoring. The rest of the world continues with the abuse. But hell, I'm still alive. Maximum rating. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

I hope you are alright now. And I am really happy that you chose to go on...
Dani The Unreviewed

8 Years Ago

I'm okay :) thanks to writing and friends :)
What an awesome write. Domestic violence is a serious problem and it may be an issue that the more we as society shed light on it the more it goes away. At least that is the hope. Nice work :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you...
Oh you are spectacular dear frnd....What a lovely one....Good job....Keep focused....

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

474 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2015
Last Updated on January 28, 2016

Author

ExquisiteEyes
ExquisiteEyes

West Bengal, India



About
Hi! I am a 16 year old girl. I love to write and share it with others.Its just been about a year and a half that I have started writing. It was my friend who told me that I write well and should try t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Rescued Rescued

A Story by Jyoti_Ablaze