Afternoon

Afternoon

A Story by ExquisiteEyes
"

Not a story...

"
    The locality was painted in a golden hue by the rays of the setting sun. The silence of the afternoon seemed to reverberate off the walls of the houses only to be disrupted occasionally by the chirping of birds returning to their nests. The silence brings to the mind thoughts of people taking a siesta. The warm chrome yellow light with a tinge of orange ricocheted off every object present-the cars, the walls, the cobbled streets. The rear view mirror and the glass windows reflected the sun rays, almost blinding the eyes.
    A chill had begun to set in, slowly pushing away the warmth of the sun. The sun had now acquired a reddish tinge and darkness had started to creep in from the edges. One by one the houses donned a dark mask. Soon it would be dark and the houses would look like Halloween pumpkins-dark on the outside but lit from the inside. It won't be long before the stars start shining and the moon furnishes a soft light and remains an alibi to countless incidents...

© 2016 ExquisiteEyes


Author's Note

ExquisiteEyes
Thank you for reading... :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved the silence reverberating - very nicely done.
Perhaps tell us what kind of birds?
Loved 'warm chrome yellow"
Well said on the chill pushing the suns warmth away.

I think 'twinkling' stars is overdone - maybe something more original ?

Overall I think this is exquisite - exquisite eyes.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you :)



Reviews

Very visual description of a sunset . . . also original, the way you're showing changes in light over a town street . . . (instead of a more common ocean sunset scene or something like it). Here's my one recommendation . . . rather than using common colors of yellow, orange, & red, why not try the many more expressive ways to describe colors: tangerine, peach, crimson, buttery cream, that sort of thing. Your pumpkin analogy is easy to imagine & very imaginative.

Posted 8 Years Ago


You described the setting creatively. I could feel and picture out every line in this piece. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


grt description of natures beauty .... awesomely explanation of its delicacy ... i really liked it

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thanks :)
nupur chauhan

8 Years Ago

urs most welcome
The only thing that seems a little off, and it may be your intent to do so, is the flow from afternoon to dusk. Instead of saying "A chill had begun to set in", you could use present tense, " A chill begins to set in". You would have to change the tense of the other words as well. You certainly do "paint" a beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing it out.
And I am glad you liked reading it.
The contrasts between the light and its glowing warm colours and the chill in the falling darkness makes this a magical read - especially the Haloween quality you give to the houses!

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you. I am glad that you enjoyed reading it
I loved your use of the word alibi! I enjoyed this description, I used to have a description journal where I would attempt this same thing! I love that you've done that here! Nice job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you :)
I have not really explored the topic of describing things/scenes. I will try to.. read more
Zyle Christian William Cook

8 Years Ago

Happy writing! From the looks f this you are off to a great start!
Great imagery I love the detail. Great write

Posted 8 Years Ago


annalysiar

8 Years Ago

You're so welcome I'm sorry it took so long to get to it
ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

No, its okay. Even I've got so many requests pending
annalysiar

8 Years Ago

Thank you...
Amazing use of description. I liked the story in the words.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
This was very beautiful. The images you painted were wonderful. The picture was helpful to those without a good imagination, but I found it distracting, it took away from my own image. Other than that small thing, this was a very nice piece of writing, thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I thought the image would make the page a bit lively.
Obscured by the Shadows

8 Years Ago

It does! It is a good picture, I love it. My brain just works differently, merely an opinion!
Picture perfect words. The whole feel of this piece has all those warm colours of the photograph and they come to life in the mind as your words are read. This could be the start of a series of varying images of the colours of day and night.
Nicely captured.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ExquisiteEyes

8 Years Ago

Thank you. Its a good idea to write a series. I will try to do it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

568 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 8, 2016
Last Updated on January 31, 2016

Author

ExquisiteEyes
ExquisiteEyes

West Bengal, India



About
Hi! I am a 16 year old girl. I love to write and share it with others.Its just been about a year and a half that I have started writing. It was my friend who told me that I write well and should try t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Country Girl Country Girl

A Poem by Leigh


True Love True Love

A Poem by Gee


Space Space

A Chapter by Matching Socks