August 7

August 7

A Chapter by Calypso

August 7

            “Come in!”

            I slightly opened the door and stood in the threshold of the room. I noticed a few things about her office today that I didn’t before. The whole room was filled with verdant plants and books with spines that were five inched thick. Behind her was a space heater (which was on) and her desk was on a purple shag rug.

            Belle was standing up and she didn’t have shoes on. I feebly pointed to her feet and she evenly laughed and said that she never wore shoes in her office and this didn’t expect anyone one else to either.

            “Go on.”

            I felt awkward as I took my sandals off and placed them by the door.

            “According to feng shui placing your shoes like you did will bring you success.”

            I grinned feebly. Feng Shui, of course. 

            Belle ushered me to her small couch. She sat by me and went though a stack of papers.

            “I most be popular or something. This is twice you’ve visited me this week.” Belle pulled a pen out of a coffee cup in French and started on the stacks of paper.

            “Well the reason I stop by was to ask you about a rumor I heard. One girl told me I can get a job and work while I’m here and even keep it after I leave.”

            Belle bit down onto the cap of her pen. “Why do you ask? Do you want referral?”

            “So I can get a job here?” I couldn’t help but feel like I was asking her about the lost arch. 

            “I guess, but what jobs can I get?”

            “It depends on a lot of things. First you have two people write a referral, you have to fill out a application and then meet with a panel of workers here.”

            I could feel my head becoming lightheaded. Maybe this isn’t what I want. “Okay, well thanks for tell me.”

            Belle went back to writing and said, “But it’s worth your time. They’ll put you threw college if you promise to work for us six years after graduation and while in college. They’ll also pay you too.” Belle stopped what she was doing to look up at me.

            “Now do you want a referral?”

            That sounds amazing. “But what job would I have?”

            “What do you want to do in college? What degree do you want?”

            I could feel myself blush. It would be embarrassing to tell the truth. Back in ninth grade I wanted to become a professional piano player, but I know a lot of people have that dream.

            In fact I haven’t really thought much about college much less tomorrow in the past year.

            “Don’t laugh, but I’ve always wanted to play the piano for a living. I know that’s silly…”

            Belle interrupted “Not at all. You should consider becoming a piano teacher. I paid a women $100 a month for years to teach my daughter and she had more students!”

            “And how could I get a job with that?”

            “After and during college Bryant’s will pay you to teach piano classes. Until then you can’t get a job, but you can always volunteer. If they know you are willing to help out that can also play in your favor. So I ask you again. Do you want referral?”

            I nodded, “Of course, but who would be my other?”

            Belle titled her head to the left and said “Silly. Your dad! Most people here already know him. It can work out well for you.”

            “Okay.”

            Belle went over to her desk and pulled out a sheet of paper. “Here you go. Have it in soon.”

            I took the paper and glanced over the questions it asked. “Thank you, really.”

            “Anytime.”


© 2011 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't think i fully understood it, but it's nice to know this will help her out with her future. I'm kind of jealous.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I hope this works out for her but at least for now it gives her some real goals, something that she wants.

Posted 13 Years Ago


She seems a bit happier now nad can see hope in the future.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love how she's starting to have hope. Alege is a really strong character.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

676 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2011
Last Updated on July 17, 2011
Tags: Therapy, Bulimia, Pastor's kid, journal, rehab


Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


August 23 August 23

A Chapter by Calypso


June 15 June 15

A Chapter by Calypso