A First Grade Memory

A First Grade Memory

A Story by Calypso
"

I wrote this for my class and it's a memory from 1st grade.

"

The Pokemon Cards

            One pop culture figure of the 90’s was the trading card. The vast majority of children didn’t know that they were from Japan, but they knew it was from a cartoon.

           

   Some of the cards were rare enough to be compared with the Holy Grail and once you had one of those cards you were elated beyond measure.

           

      To have those rare, gilded cards were worth any measure needed to obtain them. I guess that is why my where stolen.

           

   I would be lucky to remember when this happened. It could have easily been the spring of 2000 or the fall of 1999, either way trading cards where still hot.

           

      I was sitting in class looking through the stack I had brought with me. At one point I became bored and started to play with the rubber band. I

placed it on the corner of my desk and pulled back. It flew out of my grip

and unto the floor; I hadn’t meant that to happen.

           

The teacher took the cards from me along with the rubber band and placed them on the top of a bookcase. He told me I could have them back after school.


When school ended I went to the bookcase and ran my hand off the top (I was too small to see the top). I screeched for five minutes and gave up. This was when I knew that they had to be stolen.

           

My pride of the stack was one of a dragon. I had showed it to a girl and she bugged me for them and I kept saying no. I knew then that she had to have stolen them.

           

I left that day ironically nonchalant, and I had every reason to; they were my brother’s cards to begin with.

 

© 2011 Calypso


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed the ending of this piece, and completely empathise having lost my collection of cigarette in a rudimentary gambling game when I was seven.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great story and ending. Trading cards seem to come in and out of fashion. Once upon a time it was batman cards that kids would get when with a stick of gum in the pack. I really enjoyed your first grade memory.

Posted 12 Years Ago


great write! i can relate to this piece very well, and it brought me back to being a kid again, good job :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great ending. One has to see how these silly 'cards' would mean to a child. And you did a mighty good job at that! True experience in the simplest words -- The best!

I used to collect (Still have them) Pokemon Trading Cards, Tazos and "Jenga" Cards. So I guess I can relate. Of course, I've lost many of them at school while trying to show them off to my "contemporary collectors". I felt very bad when even one of them is lost or broken. Now they're just a bunch of stuff sitting at the back of my cupboard. Nostalgia, indeed.

PS. Now, I collect books.

Keep writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This was awesome! I love the ending and I really love the way you tied everything together.
One very small grammar error: "where" should be "were" and "my" should either be "mine or "my cards."
Still, great write. I remember this pretty clearly.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TJ
Haha loved the ending bahahaha I actaully laughed out loud! Wonderful memory

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 12, 2011
Last Updated on June 12, 2011

Author

Calypso
Calypso

WV



About
I'm a full time college student, part time worker. I'm two years away from my bsw! In my free time I read, write and sim. Check out my tumblr blogs some time. http://emmy-1127.tumblr.com/ more..

Writing
Sand Garden Sand Garden

A Story by Calypso



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Linger Linger

A Poem by Robin


June 20 June 20

A Chapter by Calypso