Beauty & The Beast - Short Story With A Twist

Beauty & The Beast - Short Story With A Twist

A Story by underwriter
"

I wrote this for an assignment at college.

"

Beauty & The Beast

Once upon a time there was a beautiful young maiden. She had long flowing hair as dark as mahogany, eyes of the same intense colour and whenever she looked into your eyes, all your troubles would seem to melt away. Her body was slender and petite, her face always full of joy and confidence. She was the kind of woman whom everyone loved. The pride and joy of the little village she called home.

However, it was not to be home for her any more, she had loved her life in the little hilltop village, she knew nothing else. That was the problem. She had a thirst for adventure and danger, she wanted to find herself, experience new things and find out what else was out there. She had only heard stories. She wanted some of her own to bring back one day. Maybe a love story. Oh, how she had dreamt of finding that one man who made her complete. The one person who would love her unconditionally, devotedly, selflessly. A man who would die for her.


Is was a cold autumn morning when she left for her adventure. It was the break of dawn and the sun was just rising over the hills, which created a gentle mist over the fields and made the dew drops glisten like silver. The air was crisp, the sky was clear and the dawn chorus were singing with all their might. She knew that it was the last chance she had, to experience a sight like that for along time and stared at the view, taking it in, etching it in her mind. She was to miss it dearly. More so than she had anticipated.


She checked she had all she needed for the long journey south, adjusted the girth straps, slipped her left foot into the stirrup, grasped hold of the cantle and hoisted herself up in one swift movement. Her hair was pulled back from her face and placed neatly into a bun. She closed her eyes, turned her head towards the sun and breathed in deeply the cold, crisp air, and pictured her home she was about to leave. She thought of her family and friends who were to send her off later on that morning, but she couldn't bare goodbyes. She left a note instead. It was simpler that way. A single tear rolled down her soft pink cheek. She wiped it away. Grasped the reins and with one swift dig of her heels, and gentle tug of the reins, she was off. Just like that, she was gone.


It had been two days since she had last seen the village. Nothing exciting had happened to her yet. The travelling was taking its toll on her and her horse, Devotion (so named because of his loyalty towards her). She had him since she was a little girl and loved him dearly. When he was just a foal he would follow her around the fields like a dog would it's master. This was his adventure, just as much as hers.


They had been deep within the forest for hours. Never straying form the path. There were stories of a fearsome, evil, beast living deep within, waiting for an innocent beauty to stray and feast upon. Her brother would tease her horribly about it when she was a little girl but now she was older, she knew them to be false tales, however, she secretly hoped they might be true, for the sense of danger excited her.


The air suddenly got colder and there was an eerie chill to it she had never known before. An unexpected gust of wind blew through the trees and spooked Devotion. She calmed him well, with a gentle pat and reassuring words, partly to reassure herself. She then felt a sharp stinging sensation on her lightly tanned face. It felt like a thousand pins pricking her all over. The snow fell fast and thick. Within minutes there was a thick blanket of snow covering everything the eye could see. It was getting progressively harder to keep going. She needed refuge, and somewhere she could tend to her shivering horse. She looked about her. There was nothing. They had no choice but to carry on. Hoping and praying for shelter, they continued round a sharp turn and there she saw it. Quite a distance away but there all the same: A gate. To what she did not know, but assumed it to be the entrance to some sort of shelter or refuge. She had to chance it. She looked around her. There was no path leading up to it, or none that remained. They left the path and proceeded to the large iron gates that were covered in in rust and moss. She wondered how long it had been since they had been opened. It appeared to have been years since they had been touched. As they drew closer to them, she saw what they were guarding.


The castle was dark, gloomy, and appeared to have been left to ruin. There was a strong sense of loss and destruction that tormented her. For a moment she wondered if the tales were true. Her heartbeat quickened with both excitement and danger. Still they moved closer. Surely they couldn't be true...


They reached the gate and the castle looked even more looming and horrifying but she had no choice. The snow was rising further still and the wind was cutting her skin like a knife. She dismounted Devotion and the snow was up to her thighs and the sudden shock of the bitter ice cold on her skin made her gasp for breath. She willed herself to go on, she must.


The gate would not move for the snow was so thick. There was no other option but to climb it and seek help to retrieve her horse. She tied Devotion to the gate, stroked his fine white mane and left him behind. She placed her foot upon the gate and heaved herself onto it. Her body was shaking with fear and cold. She was careful not to catch her dress, for that would not have helped the already grave situation. Finally she reached the top, lifted her leg over and paused to catch her breath. Every fibre of her being was willing her to stop. The cold consumed her. She could hardly feel her limbs but she willed herself to go on. She was about to descend when she felt it once more. That same eerie chill she had felt before, but more intense. Someone was watching her. She could sense it. She looked about her but there was no one in sight. She turned her face to the castle, but couldn't see into the windows for they were black as night. She attempted to convince herself that she was imagining it, but with no success. She climbed down the gate and reached the bottom. It was a long approach that was now before her. Filled with a mixture of despair and determination, she went on. The cold, wet snow felt as though it was seeping into her fragile bones. Every step. Harder to take. Still, she felt eyes upon her, yet no one was to be seen. Finally she reached the door cold, wet, full of fear and exhaustion. With the little strength that remained in her frail little body, she stretched her hands towards the large iron knocker. Lifted it and allowed it to drop from her fingers. There was a loud thud as it fell back into place, as if it hadn't been touched. She tried the door to see if it would open, and it opened. Surprisingly with ease.


Timidly she entered, and called out to anyone who would hear. The only reply she received was the sharp sound of the wind whistling though the dark. The only light there was, was that from the open door. With that limited light she saw a tall, grand staircase. She proceeded towards it. There was a sudden gust of wind and the door slammed shut. She was in complete darkness. Cold, wet alone and terrified she called out once more desperate for an answer. Anything! The only reply she got was that same eerie coldness and a warm sensation about her neck. She lifted her hand and rubbed her neck, as she did, she suddenly realised that she was not alone. She gasped with the sudden realisation that the tales were true and that the warm sensation upon her neck was that of the beast's breath. Paralysed with fear, she stayed - unable to run or shout. Then this thing, this beast spoke, his voice was calculating and evil. Yet his words were simple.

“Who dares enter my house? Trespassers must be punished!”

She managed to turn and was met with a pair of green eyes that shook her to the inner most part of her soul. Yet there was something else within them that comforted her ever so slightly. He grabbed her wrist and twisted it hard. His grip was strong, his hands were coarse.

“What are you doing here? How dare you enter my house?!”

Shaking with fear, voice quivering she managed few words.

“Sorry...snow...shelter...”

She could muster no more. He pulled her close and leaned into her face. His voice deep and chilling he said:

“ Trespassers MUST be punished.”

A slight malevolent smile crept across his face and fear engulfed her. He dragged her across the entrance hall. She finally found her voice.

“Please, let me go!” she screamed, “please I meant no harm!”

He stopped abruptly. His head held high with a determination she could not understand. He quietly, firmly uttered the words

“ That's what SHE said before....LIAR!”

Unexpectedly, she became sympathetic towards this beast. This man. She reached out with her one free arm and touched his shoulder. At that he turned, grabbed her and lifted her with ease onto his shoulder. He walked in complete silence while Belle silently sobbed and thought of home. The last she had seen of it was the beautiful sunrise. She attempted to block out reality and consume her thoughts with the last moments she had shared with her dearest family.


There were no lights or candles lighting the way for he was accustomed to the darkness. He despised the light. Ever since HER! SHE took delight in the light; it was what took her away...


He began to descend down a narrow staircase. The air was rank and colder still. He stopped at the bottom and opened a door made of iron bars that were as cold as the beast's heart. He threw her to the floor and chained her hands and feet. She curled up into a ball in the corner, partly for fear, partly for warmth. It didn't help. He watched her. Silently. She was a beautiful woman. He felt his heart begin to stir. Enraged by this, he let out a loud, deep scream that seemed to have shook the whole castle. He left the room at speed, slamming the iron door behind him and once again, there she was, alone.


It was 3 days before he could bring himself to look upon the beautiful maiden who resided in the cold, dark dungeon. For nights he had tossed and turned with her face in his mind. Unable to rid himself of the sudden feelings that consumed him. How could he have allowed it to happen? He had vowed never to let it happen to him again. But it had - stronger in-fact. He felt remorse for how he had treated her, and wanted to make amends somehow.

He walked quickly to the dungeon, down the stairs and slowly pushed open the iron door. There she was, still curled into a ball. Motion less. He crept slowly towards her and felt for a pulse. There was one, faint, but there. He removed the shackles from her feet and chains form her wrists and lifted her gently into his arms. He carried her back up the stairs and up another flight of stairs to the bedroom chambers. He entered a room and placed her upon the bed. He covered her gently with the thick eiderdown. He felt her forehead and checked her pulse once more. She would be well again in a few days. He was sure of it.


Over the next few days he nursed Belle back to health. He apologised for his cruelty, which she forgave, for she had an understanding heart. The castle began to be filled with light once more, the dust sheets removed, the curtains drawn, lights lit and the eeriness had long since gone. None of these changes, however, were anything equal to that of the beast's. He had light in his face and warmth in his heart once more. He was rarely without a smile upon his face. For he had learned to love once more. For hours he and Belle would talk by her bedside, until she was well enough to walk again. When she was able, he give her a grand tour of his castle; she was overwhelmed at its beauty when light shone upon it. She didn't want to leave. She dreaded the day when the snow would melt and she had to continue on her journey.


Sure enough, the day came when the sun shone and the snow melted. Belle wished it to snow once more. To keep her there a little longer. She begun to pack her things ready to leave when Philip, for that was his name, came up behind her and startled her by clearing his throat. She gasped with his sudden presence and turned to face him. He was a handsome man, with thick brown hair and strong arms that she was desperate to be held within. He cleared his throat once more and blushed. “What's the matter?” Belle asked sweetly, moving closer to him and gently touching his arm.

“Stay” he said, simply.

“Stay?” She repeated. Was it true? Had he just uttered what she had been hoping to hear? She willed him to say it again, unsure if she had heard him correctly.

“Please stay” he said once more.

She beamed at him, threw her arms about his neck and kissed him gently on the cheek.

“There is nothing I would like more” she confessed.

He smiled, relived, for he had been working up the courage to ask her for weeks. He left her to unpack and promised to be back in a few minutes; for there was something he wanted to show her.


She was writing in her diary when he returned. He loved that about her, she was hardly ever without a book or pen and paper. He was glad that he had decided to retrieve her horse and belongings the day he first took her. He still despised himself for how he treated her. He smiled at her adoringly from the doorway and waited until she had finished writing. He vowed to himself never to harm her again. Her head was tilted to one side and her long dark hair fell gently across her face and he had a desire to sweep it from her eyes to behind her ear, but he didn't. She looked up from her diary and noticed him. Returned his smile and walked over to him. He took her hand and spoke tenderly to her.

“Come, I have something I want to show you”.

She looked deep into his green eyes and saw a different man to the beast she had first met. She wanted to tell him how much she loved him, but she was unsure of his feelings. She vowed to herself that she would tell him before the day was out.


He lead her down the corridor and past all the rooms he had showed her before. There was one room however, that she had not yet seen. She was as intrigued to find out what was behind the door, as Philip was to know what her reaction would be. When they reached the door he told her to close her eyes. She did so, obediently. He opened the door and took both her hands and led her into the room.

“Now open your eyes.”

As she did, she stood in complete amazement at what she saw. Hundreds of books were before her. She was delighted, and threw her arms around him once again. She looked up towards his strong face as he looked down upon hers, that he believed to have been carved by angels, for no one else could have made something as perfect. They looked intensely into each other's eyes for what seemed like an eternity. Believing that it was only herself to be in love, she turned away to hide the tears that had began to swell in her eyes. As she turned, she noticed one particular book. Alone, dusty and partially hidden. She walked over to it and picked it up from under a chair that was placed in the centre of the room. She sat in the chair and opened the book, intrigued to know why it was the only one out of its place and left discarded. It was full of pictures of a beautiful woman, some of her and Philip together. They looked happy together. She wondered what had happened. He never spoke of anyone... apart form that first day. She could hear the words ringing in her ears as she remembered.

“That's what SHE said before...LIAR!”

There was a note placed in between two pages and she gently removed the fragile piece of paper and put it quickly into her pocket. Philip realised what she was looking at and began to shout at her filled with an instant vicious rage.

Put that book down! How dare you! GET OUT! GET OUT!”

Belle ran crying from the library and didn't stop until she got to her bedroom. She threw herself onto the bed. What had she done wrong? She then remembered the note that she had placed in her pocket just moments before, removed it and began to read.


My dearest Philip,

I am unsure how to put this into words, for this breaks my heart to have to do this to you of all people.

I love you, with all of my heart, but ever since the death of our dearest, sweetest son I have felt a coldness from you. You blame me for the loss of our son, for that I am sorry.

I am afraid that I can not cope with the guilt that you have laid upon me, and the hatred that you are so adamant to inflict upon me.

For this I can not bear any longer. I must leave you and your now cold heart in peace and attempt to fix mine.

I will always love you my dearest, Philip.

Your Beloved B



She burst into tears once more and cried hopelessly into her pillow for the loss he had borne. Was his heart still cold? Could she be the one to bring warmth back to it again? Did he really want her gone? Just then there was a loud bang as the door flung open. It was Philip, her sweet Philip come to hold her and beg her not to leave...but what was that he had in his hand? It couldn't be! Perhaps the tears were obscuring her vision. She wiped her tears away with the back of her hand and sat staring in disbelief. She knew what was to come as she fell to her knees onto the floor.

“Please no” she gasped.

“Why should I not?!” He screamed. “Why should I let you live when you have been leading me on this way? You don't love me! How could you? I am a hideous beast! I always have been! You're a liar if you say otherwise!”

Tears streaming down both faces, Belle looked up into his menacing green eyes and finally allowed her true feelings for him to be revealed.

“I have loved you since the first time I saw you. I saw something in your eyes that day, that made me believe that all would be well. I have come to know that you are a man with a love so pure and a heart that understands more than I could have ever imagined. You are the one person who I want to spend the rest of my life with. I love you so deeply, honestly and valiantly that I couldn't bear to be parted from you!”

He knelt down beside her, she dropped her head to try and conceal the tears. Little good that it did. He lifted her face gently and looked into her eyes that never lied to him.

“Are you telling the truth?” he asked firmly and calmly.

“My dearest, sweetest Philip, I am. I love you with all my heart!”

At this he kissed her firmly and she put her arms about his neck, with tears of joy now running down her face, finally, she had the man she loved! Everything would be as it should be. Happy again. Suddenly she felt something sharp pierce her heart. She looked into his eyes, her eyes full of questions. She gasps at the pain. He kissed her once more as she fell to the floor dead. He rose and stood above her.

“Lying b***h!”

He turned and saw her diary on the bed where she had left it only minutes before. Only to confirm his thoughts, he walked over to the bed and read it, only to find a confession of her love and devotion towards him. At this he was suddenly filled with regret, remorse and was filled with an uncontrollable anger and hatred of himself that he removed the dagger from his loves heart. Sat beside her limp body. With tears that stung his face. Pierced his cold. Beastly. Dead. Heart.


THE END

By Emma Skeats

© 2010 underwriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was well done. It was written with a great flow and pace to keep the reader engaged. The ending was brilliant.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You have quite an engaging style with material already cast for you, and I look forward to the day when you write something original.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 6, 2010
Last Updated on December 7, 2010

Author

underwriter
underwriter

Salisbury, United Kingdom



About
**TEMPORARY, sorry but i am stopping my read requests for a little bit, as i have alot on my metaphorical plate at the minuite. i will get round to reading the requests already sent. but please be pat.. more..

Writing