The Sins of Myself

The Sins of Myself

A Poem by Rachel McLean

The fear
The darkness
The overwhelming sadness

These were the sins that led to my downfall
The sins that led to my end

I was devoured by the shadows
scattered by the wind

Drunk with the insanity
Obsessed with the madness

And forever isolated
within these empty walls of sin

© 2015 Rachel McLean


Author's Note

Rachel McLean
So apparently my first poem got quite a few positive reviews, so i thought i might try another to see if it was just luck that the first was good. Anyways, this is a poem about the mental tormentation (that's a word, right?) going on inside someone. It's also going to be my first contest submission so wish me luck! Please enjoy and don't forget to comment and rate! I feel like I'm missing something or one of the lines isn't quite right, but I can't put my finger on it. If one of you peoples do, it would be greatly appreciated if you could point it out so that I can fix it ASAP.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't know about what you mean by missing but it's vague. Fear, darkness and sadness aren't sins and since you didn't hint what the sins are, it's very much open to imagination(not interpretation) and if you had any in mind while writing the poem, I would suggest slight hinting of them in an added verse or verses.
I would suggest you remove the 'and' before 'forever isolated' and change 'sins' to 'sin' in the line 'within these empty walls of sins'. For better flow, other than that, it's beautiful. You should definitely keep writing. Cheers.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel McLean

8 Years Ago

Well I wasn't sure what it was that I thought was missing. My friend actually helped me out /w that... read more
Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

Your welcome!



Reviews

this is so raw but beautifully expressed. we all struggle with regrets and you've captured it so well. we can all relate. great imagery.

Posted 6 Years Ago


The 11 lines led to 1100 thoughts of mine...
really wonderful to read this poem,
only 11 lines speak the complete sins,
well, i'm a bit late to wish luck and also to welcome you here, but still; its not my sin!!
i think we are of same age as i'm also a student of high school, grade 10, so basically, we can be friends without any formality of requests right??
anyway, i enjoyed your poem a lot with complete sentiments...
well done, keep writing in order to improve as i started writing poems at the age of 11 and continue till now... I found a great difference in my writing at the age of 11 and now, 15.
all the best for more writings!! i would be glad if you check out mine too...
Anindita

Posted 8 Years Ago


Rachel McLean

8 Years Ago

Thanks! I always appreciate a new review. And it's nice meeting another writer close to my age. I'd .. read more
I like the antithesis of being within emptiness!

Posted 8 Years Ago


You have described the feelings in a very strong way. Most of us get lost into the darkness of our own sin. But remember there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep Walking, Keep Writing! I really like the read :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


this is fantastic, speechless, this is perfect. I feel this poem, it perfectly describes my actions that I've never been able to articulate.
You should definitely keep at the poetry, this is really well written and thought out.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think you've done really well with this poem. The vagueness of your words really portrays the mental decay that the narrator is feeling. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Nicely written! The imagery is sublime, which shows how great your mind is.


Insight.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I loved this, and I think it's fine just the way it is. What you said is true: Our own fears will be our downfall. Since this poem is quite good, I can assure you it wasn't just luck your first piece got positive reviews. Keep writing, keep posting :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


really liked this poem but I feel like to get your point out it needs to be longer and for you to elaborate and explain yourself more

Posted 8 Years Ago


I don't know about what you mean by missing but it's vague. Fear, darkness and sadness aren't sins and since you didn't hint what the sins are, it's very much open to imagination(not interpretation) and if you had any in mind while writing the poem, I would suggest slight hinting of them in an added verse or verses.
I would suggest you remove the 'and' before 'forever isolated' and change 'sins' to 'sin' in the line 'within these empty walls of sins'. For better flow, other than that, it's beautiful. You should definitely keep writing. Cheers.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rachel McLean

8 Years Ago

Well I wasn't sure what it was that I thought was missing. My friend actually helped me out /w that... read more
Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

Your welcome!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

689 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 31, 2015
Last Updated on November 15, 2015

Author

Rachel McLean
Rachel McLean

MD



About
So, I haven't been writing for very long, but I definitely hope to improve. I prefer to do stories and novels, however my main purpose here is to work on my poetry. Other than writing, I love reading .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Monster The Monster

A Poem by Not here


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Eliot Knight


The Preacher Man The Preacher Man

A Poem by Gee