Her

Her

A Story by Vampire Wombat
"

A man finds a female at the side of the road.

"

I was on my way home from, well that really doesn't matter. I was completely focused on driving because it was night and the idiot behind me was too close and had their brights on. Okay, I shouldn't be quite so harsh about it. If not for those brights being on, I might not have even seen the shape at the side of the road. That or I would have just figured it to be some animal and kept driving.
The lights hit the shape just right and I was able to make out blonde hair. I quickly pulled over and the idiot, I mean driver, behind me started honking their horn. If not for my concern for the shape, I probably would have honked back. But there was no time for that. I had to see if it was what I feared, a human body.
I barely remembered to turn my emergency lights on as I left the confines of my car. I was shocked when I got out. No, I mean I was literally shocked. Somehow the air was electric. It was like continually being shocked by static electricity. It was awkward, but not too uncomfortable. I continued to my goal as soon as I confirmed it was a body, I checked for a pulse. Luckily there was one.
After that, I noticed it was a female and she had no clothes. I stared a moment before deciding on a course of action. Since it was spring, I had no blanket or jacket. Still, it was cool enough that she needed something. Reluctantly I pulled my own shirt off and laid it over her. Luckily for her, I wear an XL and it covered down to her thighs.
With that out of the way and the knowledge she was at least breathing, I decided to call for help. When I opened my cellphone up, it blinked and then went dead. Of all the times for it to do that... Then I realized it had to be the air. That left only one more thing to do. Reluctant to leave her, I walked to my car and waited for someone to come by and to stop. My patience waned and my worry increased. She needed help, but I couldn't just leave her in order to get help myself. I continually switched from watching the road to looking at her. She was quite attractive and fit perfectly with my tastes. But, no... It wasn't the time for that.
After a half or so of looking back and forth, I finally noticed the smoke rising from the field near her. Any other time I would have gone to check on it. But not this time. Somehow it took what felt like hours more until someone finally showed up. He tried using his own cellphone which did the same thing as mine. Then he agreed to go home and call for an ambulance. More waiting.
Finally the ambulance did come and they confirmed she was in a coma. I followed them to the hospital and an hour later was allowed to sit in her room and wait. I was exhausted and fell asleep in the chair beside her.
The next morning was Saturday and I had nothing better to do. I was told that I should leave the hospital awhile and that they would call if her status changed. I decided to go home and get some new clothes. My own shirt had been returned to me, but it felt awkward wearing it after it had been used to cover her. Still, I didn't feel like just throwing it in the dirty clothes either. After a change of clothes I decided to go to the area I had found her.
It had been turned into a crime scene. Of course it had. What had I expected? I watched from afar and then started to drive off. It was then that I noticed the large circle in the field. It would have looked like someone had just set fire to the field except for the fact it was a perfect circle. But, again there was no time for that. Even if I couldn't do anything for her, I wanted to sit by her side again. Just in case.

© 2008 Vampire Wombat


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It was very nice, but I wonder why he didn't just put the girl in his car and drive to the hospital. I also wonder what happens to them both. Are you going to write more? It doesn't seem ended.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

Vampire Wombat
Vampire Wombat

Amarillo, TX



About
I'm currently trying to find some sort of niche. In doing so, I'm writing stories which may or may not be successfully written. In doing so, I'm hoping to learn my strengths and weaknesses in writing .. more..

Writing
Flame Flame

A Story by Vampire Wombat