More of a letter than a poem

More of a letter than a poem

A Poem by Salem Fitzgerald

Ironically the first song you ever heard me sing was 'trouble is.' I'm not an amazing singer but I guess I impressed you judging by the look on your face.

I remember a specific time that you visited me at work. You looked so good I wanted to die because I could never see why you wanted me. You are complex and intricate like an Alexandrite stone forever fracturing light and normality. And as you were about to leave you turned around and said I love you in a way that made me believe you meant it.

I loved watching you melt into me when we kissed. I loved when your shoulders dropped and you made the smallest sound. (I know, I did it too.) Your brow furrowed together and you put your hand on my favorite place on my face.

All I do now is give you words; I'm an open book. All I do is remember. I never lie about how I feel regardless of the crushing inconvenience it causes me and those in my life.

And at the same time I feel silly and pitied, a feeling I cannot stomach. I'm standing on concrete decisions that aren't my own yet I haven't walked with those decisions nor stood by them; I haven't for reasons more than my own happiness. For such a short lived flame, you burned bright and left an everlasting scar.

Teach me how you let go. Teach me how to forget. All I do is remember.

© 2015 Salem Fitzgerald


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really love this. So well written, I felt the emotion. Great job.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 15, 2015
Last Updated on October 15, 2015
Tags: Love poems, sad poems, free verse, spoken word

Author

Salem Fitzgerald
Salem Fitzgerald

Small Town, WI



About
I walk through life imagining events that have yet to happen. I yearn for adventure and passion. I'm let down so often by everyone I meet so I spend a lot of time alone. I'm a writer, a philosopher, a.. more..

Writing