The Catalyst

The Catalyst

A Story by Velveteen Rabbit
"

This is the story of how a sixteen-year old dog taught me about the grace of God.

"

This is Tiny. -------->

 

Tiny has lived here on earth with me for sixteen years. My little friend has been with me through my childhood romps in the grass, many quiet contemplative moments, and has had more than enough tears cried into her fur. Every day, she seeks my eyes with her own, and offers her brown-eyed doggy smile and counter-clockwise tail wag. She lives to see my smile. I live to see hers.

 

 

On June 12th, during a heavy sun shower, I unknowingly backed my car over Tiny.

 

 

It was those heart-wrenching first moments when I realized what I had done that was the worst. I turned to see my dear friend in front of my car, her leg sticking out in an unnatural manner, and her face turned up into the pouring rain as she cried in agony. In that moment, I thought I was about to watch my best friend die, all because of me.

I found myself screaming more than she was. With tears streaming, I flung myself out of my car and stumbled through the rain to her, with cries of apology tumbling out of my mouth. She was alive. I saw no blood, but her leg was injured. She struggled to walk, but her entire leg was completely straight and she couldn't bend it without feeling pain. I carefully scooped her up, placed her in my car, and rushed her to the veterinarian.

 

 

On the way there, she struggled into my lap, looked up at me with those brown eyes, and wagged her tail, as if to say, "Oh boy, we're going on a ride! I'm so glad to be here with you." She surprised me. I forgot to be upset for a few moments. Everything was just horrible, and here she was wagging her tail at me like she always does.

 

I entered the vet's office with my little friend in my arms, both of us soaking wet. We sat there in the waiting room for what seemed like an hour, waiting on the doctor to get out of surgery, but it was probably only about fifteen minutes. When he finally saw her, he informed me that there were fractures on her hip. He gave her a shot for infections in her hip, and a shot for pain. Those fractures would heal on their own, he said, but her hip was dislocated.

So I was faced with two options. The doctor said he could try to put it back in place, but there was no guarantee that it would stay once it got there. And, unfortunately, putting a dog of Tiny's age under anesthesia is a risk to her life. The second option was to give her pain pills for a few weeks, then simply leave it alone. But, as the vet said, "she'll have a bum leg the rest of her life." I asked if she will be in pain because of the dislocation. He said no, the leg will eventually get stiff and she'll just get around on three legs.

I chose option two. She came very close to death because of me, and I'm not going to let that happen again. It's better to walk on only three legs than to risk her very life so that she can have four.

 

So I took her home, along with a pack of pain pills and mixed emotions. I was thankful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I felt guilty because my girl suffered because of me. I was sad because my girl was suffering, period. Then I felt guilty all over again. I set her up comfortably on the porch in a cage where I could be close to her. She didn't seem to be in much pain unless she tried to stand on her leg. I sat beside her and pet her, wrestling with guilt in my mind.

 

When she had made comfortable on her pillows, she sought my eyes with her own and offered her brown-eyed doggy smile and counter-clockwise tail wag. There was no question of forgiveness because there never was a grudge. In that moment, I began to understand God's perfect Grace for the first time.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/848/tinysgracebb9.jpg

© 2008 Velveteen Rabbit


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm searching for words that will convey what a touching story this is. It is just plain beautiful and wondrous. Unconditional love--no strings attached just "Forever and ever, I'll adore you." I was afraid this wouldn't have a happy ending. I'm so glad to be wrong. May your little tale-wagging Grace live for many, many more years.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm searching for words that will convey what a touching story this is. It is just plain beautiful and wondrous. Unconditional love--no strings attached just "Forever and ever, I'll adore you." I was afraid this wouldn't have a happy ending. I'm so glad to be wrong. May your little tale-wagging Grace live for many, many more years.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was very moving, and quite touching to say the least.
The events that allow us to perceive that grace are often surprising, and are sometimes tragic, but in the end, we come to accept those times as the gifts they were meant to be.
Thank you for sharing, that was outstanding.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a beautiful story. The details you give in the opening paragraph, such as the counter clockwise tail wag, really show how close you and your dog are. I think that the part about how she crawled onto your lap while you were driving her to the vet's demonstrates how love can overcome pain. Animals, unlike most humans, know how to forgive. If only we had that quality this world would be such a better place.
And Tiny is absolutely adorable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 4, 2008
Last Updated on September 4, 2008

Author

Velveteen Rabbit
Velveteen Rabbit

About
I N T R O D U C T I O N Hello there! I am a little bit new to this site, but am making myself comfortable. I have recently felt inspired to take up writing again, especially in the areas of poetry, .. more..

Writing