Iris

Iris

A Story by Hannah Kolar
"

Greek mythology has been a current interest of mine. Elaboration through personification is one of my favorite means of description.

"



Violent waves crashed against the horizon, sending salty foam through the air. Bitter gusts of wind brusquely whipped her hair like the lightning flashing in the distance overhead. Pulling the chiffon tighter around her shoulders, her small frame was silhouetted in the early morning haze. Rays of light peeked out from behind the heavy clouds, dancing through the blonde strands of hair that floated in the breeze freely; twists of gold and bronze lithely sparkled in opposition to the still dark landscape. Reaching her porcelain hands towards the rising sea, petite fingers stretched out in a graceful pose. The dark water seemed to respond in greeting, sending an icy spray against the sharp, jutting rocks. Droplets froze around her for a brief moment, sparkling in the rising sunlight. Time was paused into a calm breath; nothing more than a blink, and the scene had dissipated.


Poseidon,” she whispered, her voice trembling slightly, “I call upon you.”


The cerulean waves seemed to slow in their descent; all sound blended into one great roaring, frantically announcing the arrival of a power greater than the sea. The waves wallowing in their deep, forlorn tone; the seagulls screaming in panic, slowly turning in circles, desperately clawing the air towards the shore; the howling of the wind, its voice mangled into a single broken cry; all in one torrent of salty anguish and submission. Then all was still. The tongues of water lapped gently at the shore; driftwood clattered against the pouting rocks, their proud skeletons scraping against the rotten wood in chastisement. Even the very earth itself gritted its teeth, muscles rigid in apprehension.


Silence.


Then a great burst from the foreboding depths; the sky engulfed by the overpowering waves, the sun submitted to the rippling tyrants, letting only terrible swirls of light to fight through. A great cavity in the endless water opened with a sickening howl, its claws seizing any object within its reach and swallowing it into the raging torrents. All sound slowly blended into white noise; the magnitude tore through her ears until only a slight ringing was heard. Tinkling salty droplets rolled down her glistening pale skin, sending shivers down her spine. Delicate whispers laced through her mind, whispering her name over and over. Loving caresses from unseen hands traced her cheek and shoulders, taking the pieces of her long, silky hair that had strayed from their original height and twisting them back into their ornate placement.  

© 2012 Hannah Kolar


Author's Note

Hannah Kolar
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
Added on May 23, 2012
Last Updated on May 23, 2012
Tags: greek, grecian, mythology, iris, poseidon, sea, the sea, ocean, the ocean

Author

Hannah Kolar
Hannah Kolar

Palouse, WA



About
hi im hannah and you're not more..

Writing
Styx Styx

A Chapter by Hannah Kolar


He He

A Book by Hannah Kolar