INITIATION ULTIMATE, Chapter 1.1:  Narrated by Tharseo

INITIATION ULTIMATE, Chapter 1.1: Narrated by Tharseo

A Chapter by A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
"

The Naming Ceremony is today, where Tharseo will earn his value name, then go off to an Initiation Zone to prove himself or die. There's a reason behind his choice of a name symbolizing courage: Ion.

"
CHAPTER 1.1, NARRATED BY THARSEO

Sometimes I think about my brother.  No, that's a lie.  More like, I always think about him.  His slightly messed up dark blonde hair, his gentle hazel eyes, his unlimited kindness for everyone he'd speak to, and his intelligence.  The way that he could sway a crowd with his words.  His rigor and enthusiasm for the tiniest details in life.  His ability to never get angry.  His love for life, in general! 
 
Last time I saw Ionracas, I was ten years old.  I looked up to him in practically every way a little brother can.  Being 12 years older than me, there was almost nothing he couldn't do.  Ion's life was nothing but a success.  His death was nothing but a tragedy.  Ion was a great man and an amazing brother, and he sure didn't deserve to die at the age of 22.

I still remember the men storming our house.  I remember the scream of my mother coupled with the sound of dishes clattering to the floor, and the pounding of my feet and heart as I race downstairs.  I remember grabbing my katana off the wall,  and my assumption that this act was all just a part of training.  I remember my confusion on seeing the man with a knife at my mother's throat, the three armed soldiers in the kitchen.  I remember my unprepared father's resourcefulness as he tried to fight with nothing but a kitchen knife, and then hearing the two gunshots from our attackers.  I remember the realization that my parents' lives had been taken in the blink of an eye.  I can still hear my scream of agony, and the furious heat on my face as my katana impales the belly of a guard.  I remember that empty feeling in my chest, the one that throbs as if a fist is twisting my heart.  I can still feel the heat of the flames building up inside the house, and smell the smoke as it begins to choke me.  I remember Ionracas shouting, as he throws open the door and sees us, to get outside. GET OUTSIDE, 444!  I remember the sound of his bag's zipper as he arms himself with a pistol, and I remember the bewildered look in his eyes.  I remember his desperation to protect me as they closed in on us, closer and closer.  I also remember his last word whispered to me, courage, and his last breath upon the bloody torture table.  I remember everything.

The truth is, I cannot forget.
***

I wake up with a shudder, blinking away at the darkness around me.  The last tendrils of my dream unravel and dissolve, releasing me into the present, which happens to be 3 years since I have last seen Ionracas.  I'm 13 years old, which means one thing.  Today's the day, I think to myself.  I must wake up.


© 2013 A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)


Author's Note

A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
Tharseo has a strange gift: An inability to forget. For him, it's more like a curse.
---
Let me know what you think! This comes from my 364 page novel that I am rewriting (the file corrupted). I'm 15 yrs old, so don't be too harsh on me. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is an awesome start. Already I feel sympathy for this character, a child forced to grow up early, to not only see these traumatizing things, but to take part in them. This brief first chapter raises many questions for the reader, while getting them right into the gritty action of this fictional world. I must read on, and know more.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

10 Years Ago

Wow, that's exactly what I was trying to get at. Thanks!
A.M.,

I remember reading a bit you had posted about this story earlier, probably in one of NS's threads.I've been wanting to check it out ever since. So far, you don't disappoint. I'm probably not going to post comments on every section you've uploaded, but be assured I'll read it all and provide feedback where I think I have something constructive to offer, whether it's "good" or "bad".

There's not much in this first chapter to draw any conclusions from, so here I just want to offer a bit of encouragement towards honing your basic skills. The first half of the paragraph on the attack is done in past tense, and then about the time Thareseo's katana impales an attacker, it switches to present. I get the sense of Thareseo seeing this all over again in his mind's eye, but if that is the effect you're going for, make it consistent throughout. Otherwise, I'd recommend just staying with past tense throughout, since the "replay" angle doesn't strike me as particularly compelling at this moment in the story. We can understand it as Thareseo's dream both ways.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

10 Years Ago

You make a good point with the training idea. The amount of effort they put into their training wou.. read more
Hatter57

10 Years Ago

Yes, that is much more on point. I'll let you know more about my reaction once I've had a chance to .. read more
A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Your perspective on this matter is very interesting.
What the protagonist is coping with rather reminds me of PTSD- poor Tharseo. I'm also a bit reminded of a combination of Divergent and the Hunger Games. Looking forward to finding out how this tyranny gets overthrown!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

10 Years Ago

Yeah, definitely understood. It's hard to write and not be influenced by our favorite books, since t.. read more
A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

10 Years Ago

I totally agree! I've also read a few of those titles you've mentioned, and thought that they were .. read more
SpeedyHobbit Armstrong

10 Years Ago

Thanks! Yeah, they all were! Ah, and add the President's Daughter series by Ellen Emerson White; she.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

414 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 14, 2013
Last Updated on November 14, 2013
Tags: initiations, memories, chapter 1.1

Initiation Ultimate


Author

A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)
A.M. Victoria (LostWritings)

About
Once, when I was 12, I wrote a 365 page book. Then, it corrupted. So I rewrote it, and now it's even better than before. Some of my interests are archery, fencing, and the Civil Air Patrol. I als.. more..

Writing