Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by vlhunter
"

Setting the Stage.

"

June Skies

 

Chapter 1

            There is something about the air that changes us. When we step outside into the city full of smog and dirt, it seems like our hearts inhale the smog and become the attitude we display. At least, that’s what June thought as she passed through the busy streets of Bressler. Thousands of bustling people, rubbing shoulders with no time to waste in their eyes, focused on what lie ahead of them. She thought about how sad and disappointing that must be, to only think of the goal instead of the means to get there.

            June had been in the city for quite sometime now after leaving Marion, the small, country town in which she grew up. You know, the one that only has one stop light in the whole town and a local grocer down the road with no Wal-Mart in sight for one hundred miles. Though she came from small town roots, she had the absolute urge to travel and see the world. There was too much off the world to let it go unseen. June packed up her bags, quit her job at the dinner, and bought a journal " ready to tackle any place in the world. She belonged to no one, and no one belonged to her.

            As June continued down the street to the diner on the corner of East and 5th, she longed to walk right past the diner with no hesitation, but her mind got the best of her that day. See the one thing June didn’t realize that travel was something that cost money, so for now, she was trapped in Bressler with a job she despised just as much as Marion.

            “Well, hey there, darlin’!” Ms. Annie shouted as June’s small figure passed through the diner door that needed WD-40.

“Good morning, Ms. Annie,” June mustered up with a smile.

Ms. Annie had led a similar life. She was a young, small town girl at one point who hungered to see what the world could offer her, and the only thing she found was this diner. But, that isn’t to say she hasn’t seen her fair share of the world. Plastered upon the wall were pictures of every famous person you could imagine along side of Ms. Annie. The world seemed to come to her all through that small diner, which made absolutely no sense to June. The diner was nothing special, if not in fact ordinary. You walked through the door where a hostess in a pink dress decided whether she wanted to place you at a booth or a table. Whether you sat at a booth or a table, your legs would eventually morph into the seat due to the think amounts of plastic that you sat on while eating your burger. There was a small jukebox sitting at the table giving music options to guests, a musty, light brown floor that looked as if it was probably white sometime at some point in time, and small bell that rang as someone walked in the door.

 

June happened upon Ms. Annie during her travels, because at one point, she had no place to go. She walked into a diner and sat there most of the night, falling asleep a couple of times before Ms. Annie approached her.

“Why it looks like you could use some rest, sweetie. What’s keeping you out so late?”

“Oh, well I just don’t want to go home, that’s all. It isn’t exactly the best place to be.”

“Ah. Small town’s too good for you, too.”

“How’d you know that I came from a small town.”

“Well, honey, you look like a fish outta water. Us small town girls tend to recognize one another when we’re outta our element.”

“You didn’t grow up here? Well, you coulda fooled me.”

“Ha. Ha. Very funny, Ms. Sass. You don’t have to put up that front here. You’re all the same. All full of spit and fire on the outside, but just a scared little girl on the inside. Trust me, I would know. I’ve been there.”

Since that day six months ago, Ms. Annie has always taken care of June, and that’s where June lives now while she tries to get on her feet, so June helps take care of the diner to help pay her back for her kindness.

 

June proceeds to the kitchen to get her black “Annie’s Diner” apron on over her small, pink dress and gets to work.

“Good morning, Mr. Baker. Would you like me to warm up your coffee?”

No response.

“Ahem… Mr. Baker… MR. BAKER!”

“Oh, yes dear. Sorry about that. You know, hard of hearing.”

“What have I told you Mr. Baker? You need to get a hearing aid.”

“Ah, youth never needs assistance, my dear.”

June smiled.

Mr. Baker always seemed to brighten her day with some kind of remark like that. She wondered if she could ever feel as if youth never dies like Mr. Baker. June felt like she was running out of time every minute she wasn’t traveling the world. She longed to see the trees of the Redwood Forest that appear as if they could have a world of their own, to see the waves crash upon the rocky shores of New Zealand, to see the ancient roads of Rome that have bared witness to so much, or the all beauty that Spain has to offer.

“Alright, snap out it Junie. We got some work to do. I highly doubt you’re day dreaming over the wonderful food we serve here, so get back to work,” Ms. Annie said with a wink.

“Oh, but Annie, you know what I think about all the time. Of course, it’s the diner,” June said with a grin.

“Just hush and go check on your customers, would yah?”

June went through out the rest of her shift without missing a beat. The next thing she knew it was dark outside. It wasn’t that June loved her job; she loved the people. As things slowed down, she observed the cook laughing contagiously as the new trainee had spilt pancake batter all over himself. Two of the other young, waitresses had taken a coffee break in the corner booth, and she heard them discussing their dates from the night before, giggling like little school girls. Then she saw Ms. Annie, sweet Ms. Annie, just counting the drawer with a smile on her face. Despite whatever was thrown at her, she never saw Ms. Annie without a smile.

Annie had just lost her husband a year ago. June obviously never met the man, but oh, she felt as if she had met him a thousand times with how often she heard stories about him. He helped Annie run the diner until the very end. She obviously did most of the labor in running the business, but Richard always ran the front. If Annie smiled for a day, Richard smiled for a year. He would take care of things up front and make sure all the customers were happy. Taking his rounds, he would sit with each booth one by one, always knowing the customer’s name and remembering their usual order as well as their turmoil. The loving heart must have been contagious, because Annie seemed to June just the same, but she always said that she would never compare to Richard.

 

            Annie and June were the last to leave the diner and close up shop that night as usual. The walk home was surprisingly quiet. City lights illuminated the sky, and not a soul was to be found.

            “June, are you happy at the diner?” asked Annie.

            “Of course I am! Why wouldn’t I be?”

            “Sweetie, you don’t have to lie to me. Whether you like it or not, I know you, and I know you hate it here, despite all the love you have for us.”

            “Annie, I don’t hate it here… And, I’m happy with the people… but…”

            “There’s still so much to see I know.”

June smiled. Annie was right. There was still so much to see of the world, and she felt like she was running out of time.

            “So, I’ve been meaning to give this to you for the past couple of weeks. But, better late than never I supposed.”

June open a small card that said, “June, see the skies.” with plane tickets across Europe and money to last for at least three months.

"Annie... there's no way  I could possibly accept this."

"June, I'm gonna stop you right there. There is no problem with me giving you this gift. I can't imagine using this money any other way than to make your dreams come true. If only for a few months."

A few tears dropped onto June's cheeks as she smiled so bright. She clasped her arms around Annie and began to laugh.

"Alright, sweetie. Better get some rest. Your plane leaves in the morning."



© 2015 vlhunter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
Added on August 6, 2015
Last Updated on August 6, 2015


Author

vlhunter
vlhunter

About
I'm a writer with a day job who majored in English Literature during college. I love exploring my creative side while my job satisfies my analytical and numerical side. I'm currently trying to write a.. more..

Writing
June Skies June Skies

A Book by vlhunter